Syncing Apps through iTunes

Knocks

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Now that iCloud is here, I am not sure I understand the purpose of syncing with a PC.

Today I connected my iPhone to a computer in order to get a ringtone transferred from PC to the phone. iTunes decided to transfer and sync ALL of my phone's content, which was really annoying and took a long time. So I tried unchecking the "sync the apps" feature in iTunes, but it's warning me that if I do that, all of my apps will be deleted from the phone.

I don't understand this logic whatsoever. I downloaded the apps through the phone, synced them by accident, and I no longer want them synced. Why can't I stop syncing without removing them from the phone? If it's for backup, it's all on iCloud, so why does iTunes keep bugging me about it?

cking1786

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
There should be a box to check that says to manually manage the content of your device. Can't remember exactly where it is but that's what I do to avoid syncing every time.

Knocks

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying I don't want to sync anything. I don't want to sync the apps. And it won't let me stop syncing without deleting them from the phone.

cking1786

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
That's strange, I'm guessing it's trying to replace the content on your phone with that of another device. You have an iPod? That could be part of the issue.

chrstdvd

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
The way around these problems: Start iTunes without the phone connected to the computer. Edit > Preferences > Devices. Place a check mark by "Prevent iPods, iPhones and IPads from syncing automatically".

Then after your device is connected and listed on the left pane, choose it, and go through the tabs and choose the way you want different aspects to be synced when you hit the sync button.

Knocks

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
The way around these problems: Start iTunes without the phone connected to the computer. Edit > Preferences > Devices. Place a check mark by "Prevent iPods, iPhones and IPads from syncing automatically".

Then after your device is connected and listed on the left pane, choose it, and go through the tabs and choose the way you want different aspects to be synced when you hit the sync button.

That doesn't work. During step #2 is when it starts warning you that it will remove all apps from the device.

chrstdvd

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
When in step 1 verify that all your apps are on your computer. Basically the system is telling you that the apps on your phone will be replaced with the apps on your computer which should be the exact same things. It is like a circle.

Since the phone will not sync until you tell it to, open the apps tab and un-check the apps on your computer that you do not want on your phone and then hit the sync button or apply button and it will fix you up.

Last edited:

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Since the phone will not sync until you tell it to, open the apps tab and un-check the apps on your computer that you do not want on your phone and then hit the sync button or apply button and it will fix you up.

I think the OP is saying that when this is done, iTunes wants to delete the apps from the phone...?:confused:

chrstdvd

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Yep, but if the apps are on the computer and have a check mark by them in the apps tab, then they will reinstalled on the phone.

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
New iTunes install has no apps

I'm experiencing a similar issue, but I want to sync to my PC. All my apps are on my iPhone. I had to rebuild my PC so there are no apps in iTunes. I've run backup and sync'd music. How do I get my apps backed up so that they show in iTunes again?

chrstdvd

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm experiencing a similar issue, but I want to sync to my PC. All my apps are on my iPhone. I had to rebuild my PC so there are no apps in iTunes. I've run backup and sync'd music. How do I get my apps backed up so that they show in iTunes again?
Here is a link telling you how to xfer ur apps from phone to computer. It basically says "right click your device and click on "transfer Purchases to computer".
Transfer Applications from iPhone to iTunes — Apple News, Tips and Reviews

CAUTION:

Before you connect your device to computer, open iTunes and go to Edit > Preferences > Devices tab and put a check in box that says "Prevent ... from syncing automatically."

Then connect your phone. Right click etc.

I do not know if free apps are considered "purchased" so if they do not transfer you may end up going to the Store and Downloading them onto your computer manually.

Last edited:

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks

Yes. Thanks. Right click to transfer is exactly what i need to do. Thanks for reminding me. I knew that and forgot.
Mark

mikeflat

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I think, chrstdvd has given a very good solution for this issue. I haven't try this but i think it will work for you guys. And if it's having some problem then there should be some technical problem for this. Please take the advice of an iPhone technical expert.

pinny

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
I have the same issue as the OP. I tried unchecking "Sync Apps," then restoring from an iCloud backup. Unfortunately, that also restores the sync preference. I would love a way to stop the syncing with my PC. Really slows down my syncs.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2