I've looked around the forum and didn't find any answers to my questions.. and i've checked the specs on the iphone on AT&T website, with no luck. Please forgive me if the info is right there in front of my eyes..

I will be getting a new iphone 4 soon.. jumping over from BlackBerry - few questions...
    1) How many pictures does the camera memory hold? are there different settings for the camera (ex: beach, low light, outdoors, indoors, etc) Are there "frames" you can add to the pictures? (or is this one of those "there's an app for that" kind of answer? lol.

2) itunes - how many songs does the iphone 4 16gb hold? does anyone actually use it as their "ipod" (i have an ipod touch, and am having difficulty processing the fact that I will have an "all in one" item - I have said since day 1 that i love my itouch, but i wished it had a camera and could make phone calls. well, now they came out with the itouch with a camera... makes sense i should just get the iphone and be complete)

my daughter will be going away to college this summer, and we thought the facetalk will be a great way to help ease the "empty nest" syndrome. does the facetalk use your minutes from your calling plan? or is that part of your data plan?
    Thanks for any help !!
    05-03-2011 02:58 PM
    I use my 3GS all the time as an iPod and video player. Not sure how many songs it will hold, but I've never been lacking for music or movies (I think I have 12 movies, plus 3 tv seasons on my 32 GB and still have over 8GB free)

As far as pics go: My wife's 3GS has almost 1000 pics on it, and it's not even close to running out of space. Apps, Music, Movies, Books, and Pictures all use the same file space, so if you're only taking pictures, you can hold 14.88 GB of pictures (16GB Formatted).

There are many different camera apps on the app store. Most of them have some kind of effects available.

Unless you jailbreak and use a program to enable Facetime over 3G, Facetime is WiFi only, meaning it won't use minutes or data; only whatever internet connection you're on at the time.
    05-03-2011 03:42 PM
    I've looked around the forum and didn't find any answers to my questions.. and i've checked the specs on the iphone on AT&T website, with no luck. Please forgive me if the info is right there in front of my eyes..

I will be getting a new iphone 4 soon.. jumping over from BlackBerry - few questions...
    1) How many pictures does the camera memory hold? are there different settings for the camera (ex: beach, low light, outdoors, indoors, etc) Are there "frames" you can add to the pictures? (or is this one of those "there's an app for that" kind of answer? lol.

2) itunes - how many songs does the iphone 4 16gb hold? does anyone actually use it as their "ipod" (i have an ipod touch, and am having difficulty processing the fact that I will have an "all in one" item - I have said since day 1 that i love my itouch, but i wished it had a camera and could make phone calls. well, now they came out with the itouch with a camera... makes sense i should just get the iphone and be complete)

3) my daughter will be going away to college this summer, and we thought the facetalk will be a great way to help ease the "empty nest" syndrome. does the facetalk use your minutes from your calling plan? or is that part of your data plan?
    Thanks for any help !!
    1) iPhone pics are generally 2-3 mbs. They are 5 MP, so whatever those usually are. You can fill your whole iPhone up with pics if you want. As for special settings and effects, there's not just AN app but about a million of them for that. There really is an app for just about anything and usually there are several. Check user ratings (in app store) before you download an app, especially if you are paying for it.

2) With a 16gb iPhone, it's up to you how much space you use for songs, pics, apps, or whatever. Even with 16gb, though, using it as an all-in-one device can make your free space disappear rather quickly. I have a 16gb and I use it for everything, but I wish now that I had bought the 32gb.

3) Facetime doesn't use any of your cell minutes OR your data. It can only be used while you are on a wifi network, but it still is accessed through the Phone app of the iPhone. It sounds complicated, but you'll find it's not. There are other alternatives to Facetime (i.e. Skype, Yahoo! Messenger, and Fring) that all you to video chat on just a 3G connection and use your data plan.

Hope this helps. Congrats on getting a child through school.
    05-03-2011 03:48 PM
    Thank you!. i didnt know that the facetalk only worked over wifi.. but I do have wifi at home, and she will have it at college so thats a plus. I've heard of Skype - on the computer - but didn't know it was for mobile phones as well. I thought you had to pay a monthly subscription for Skype calls?

As for the pictures, videos, music... sounds like the 16gb will be plenty for me! I'm so use to the blackberry (have had a bb for 4 yrs now) and it's been a back and forth "should i switch" battle for awhile now. I really love the way the iphone4 looks, and it seems like everyone who has an iphone swears its the best thing!! not so with blackberry.. lol.. seems like we all complain an awful lot. :0

Thank you - I actually have two kids in college - my son will be starting his junior year... and then my daughter will be a freshman. so between college payments and graduation parties.... im treating us to iphones. We've all worked hard lol.
    05-03-2011 07:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD