Plugged IPhone into Itunes Software Update?

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
so i plugged my iphone into my itunes today and the first thing that popped up was a newer software version for my iphone and i clicked download and update. i noticed when i started to download the new software it says it takes 2 hours to download. i am currently in a hotel right now so i dont know if the internet here being a little slow has an effect. is this normal? does it take a little time to download the new software? also i have gotten a couple phone calls while the new software has been loading onto my phone. does that interrupt the download at all or bad for it? thanks

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like super slow internet. My home internets will download the OS in about 7-10 minutes and then maybe another 10 minutes for iTunes to install it. Also, the phones calls will not interupt the download. Thats is fine. You just need to be off the phone for it to install obviously.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I would wait till you get home. Plus make sure you have transferred all your purchased items from your iPhone to iTunes, too, first...

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
shoot well i downloaded some apps today and it asked me if i want to transfer them first and i clicked continue to download the software without transferring the apps to itunes first. what will happen?

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
well i got a couple of phone calls while the download was being installed and it did not seem to stop or pause the download at all. what do u mean you need to be off the phone for the download to install? i was on the phone and it was still downloading and installing?

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
im sort of worried about transferring the new app i downloaded today on my iphone. i didnt transfer it to itunes before i downloaded the new software for the phone. shoot

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Doing an iOS update is a three step process:
1. iTunes downloads the iOS
2. iTunes backs up the current configuration
3. iTunes installs the software to your iPhone (no, you can't use the iPhone during this time)

If you did not transfer the purchases to iTunes before you began, you may have to reinstall them once the iOS has finished installing...

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
yes the new downloaded software has been complete and everything downloaded perfectly fine. once that was complete I synced the phone and it backed up everything and put the new app i downloaded today on itunes. this was all after the OS software update was complete. is everything fine for me that i didnt back the phone up before i downloaded the new software?

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
and the only time i used the phone was in the first step of the process, when the software was downloading onto itunes before the 2nd and 3rd step you showed me on your previous post.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
...yes, this should be fine. Anytime you're doing an iOS update, nothing really matters till you see the iPhone go black, and then a white bar starts to increase on the screen.

During THAT process don't try yo use the phone, or disconnect it. If you, then you'd have issues.

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok I got ya. Everything seems fine on my part. The only question I have is that I didn't get the one new app I got before I did the OIS update transferred to iTunes before i downloaded the new software. I opened it up after the software was downloaded and everything is working perfectly fine. Any thoughts? Am i good? Also the download in the hotel took 1:45 mins to downloaded but it eventually finished and again everything is working perfectly fine and normal. Am I good with that you think or should i re download the software when I get a faster Internet connection? The software I have is 4.2.7 am I up to date? Thanks

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
The download time has no barring on the install of an iOS, except how long the overall process would take.

Not sure of the iPhone you have. But, if it is an iPhone 4, then the current iOS is 4.3.2 (settings \ general \ about \ version).

Typically, before I do an update, I connect my iPhone, then right click on it in iTunes, and select 'transfer purchases'. Once done, then I do the iOS update. This is just in case I've installed NEWER versions of apps on my iPhone, and they are NOT yet in iTunes...

Otherwise, once the update is complete, you'd more than likely have to update said app(s). But, you'd know if an app needed to be updated if you opened the App store on your iPhone and went to Updates :)

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
So all my apps were up to date before I downloaded the new software for my phone. The only thing I didn't do was transfer the one new app which was a game to the iTunes before I began to download the new software. Everything is running perfectly smooth and fine. So my phone should be fine right? Also the new software I have for my Verizon iPhone is 4.2.7 does this sound like the new software?

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes it did and everything seems fine. the only question i have is that i didnt transfer the one new app to itunes before i downloaded the new software update. someone said you should before you do that and i didn't just want to make sure i don't run into any problems down the road and my software is installed correctly, my phone is working correctly and i am up to date with the 4.2.7 new software. does that sound right?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73