Ok, so, I got a new (to me) iPod. I went to sync it and had some troubles. (see here). So I uninstalled iTunes, and went to reinstall from an exe file I had stored on my computer.

I have dial-up and I can never download iTunes because it's so damn huge, so I download it from work on high speed and save the exe file to install on my puter when I get home.

Anyway, I had iTunes 10.1 installed, then uninstalled that and went to install the exe file I had (which turned out to be 10.0). I didn't know that the new iTunes couldn't open because it couldn't use the old iTunes Library file because it was created by a newer version. So I said, **** it for now, and I moved those files and allowed the newly installed 10.0 iTunes make it's own. It finally came up, then I was at least able to sync my music and get the iPod running after fixing it's problems.

I got a new version of iTunes (10.2) and installed that then replaced the library files with the ones I had moved earlier. iTunes 10.2 started up with the music files and everything I had added when I was on 10.0. I then went to sync my iPhone. Unfortunately it had to be synced with a "new computer".

iTunes had to erase everything and reinstall the files that were on my computer....WHICH WAS THE SAME G-D COMPUTER I STARTED WITH!!!! WTF IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ITUNES 10.0, 10.1 AND 10.2!?!?!? IF THEY WANTED THEM TO BE DIFFERENT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ITUNES 10.0, 11.0 AND M-FING 12.0!!! F**K! I can see iTunes 9 not being able to use the files created by 10 and so on as you go down the line, but S**T!

I'm glad I'm jailbroken so that I saved all my app data and such. But I had to re-sync the music, videos and ringtones that I had on there.

It pissed me off so damn bad...and is still pissing me off just thinking about it. Why the F**K does Apple have to be so G-damned stubborn just to **** with those of us on dial-up internet! I'm trying to get high speed, but I have no cell service and live out in the middle of nowhere so there are no cables or anything...and I'm not paying $70/month for satellite internet that works half the time!

Ok, so, just had to vent to those who have used the same products and whatnot. F**K APPLE!
    04-18-2011 10:03 AM
    It's because of you moving the files. The files that store the information were in that folder you moved back and forth. So, if you hadn't put the original folder back, you wouldn't have had that problem.

It's not iTunes or Apple. It's the fact that the database that tells iTunes important information is stored in the iTunes folder. If you move it around or delete it, it treats everything as brand-new.
    04-18-2011 11:08 AM
    Thanks for the info, but it still doesn't change the fact that iTunes should carry the same information between versions. Ok, I understand that I moved it, that's fine, but I went from 10.1 to 10.0 without touching any files and it wouldn't even open up iTunes!

Just pissed me off...
    04-18-2011 01:32 PM
    Well yes, because you were using a newer file that to 10.0, couldn't have existed. Programs can only read files made in earlier versions, never later ones. So 10.0 couldn't read your 10.1 file, but 10.2 can read the 10.1 file. Does that make sense?
    04-18-2011 10:56 PM
    Damn, laelipoo...can't I just be pissed?

I understand about the file reading and all that, I just wish that Apple/iTunes/whatever files could be swapped and replaced, that way, setting up a new computer or temporarily using a second computer (or using a secondary computer overall) wouldn't be so difficult. I would prefer to keep my phone like it is, and to sync and add things as I please without the hassle of having to "delete" the entire contents only to put them all back on.
    04-19-2011 10:34 AM
    Is broadband cost-prohibitive or you're in a remote location that doesn't have access?
    04-19-2011 10:46 AM
    I'm actually not as angry as you, but do have some feelings of dislike towards the iTunes program.

Apple has made its products so well, but iTunes are such a hassle to operate and manage. It does its own thing sometimes and it is not consistent sometimes.
    04-19-2011 02:40 PM
    Agreed. They are so proprietary and paranoid with their downloads, you almost have to be a genius just to move files around and transfer to and from your PC.
    04-19-2011 06:30 PM
    I have never had issues with iTunes... but then again, I have a mac. I've heard iTunes is a train-wreck on Windows, lol.

yeah, what laelipoo said is right. Older software can't predict the future - all software works that way. And Apple is not picking on people with dial-up: should they stop making their products better just so the people with outdated internet can keep up? I 100% understand why you have dial-up, but it doesn't change the fact that you're in a vast, vast minority. I feel like Apple is so restrictive with iTunes because for most people, that makes their lives much easier. For those of us who know our way around technology and want to do it our own way, it can actually be confusing, lol. Hopefully in the future Apple updates iTunes and makes everyone a bit happier.
    iquinn likes this.
    04-20-2011 12:34 AM
    Is broadband cost-prohibitive or you're in a remote location that doesn't have access?
    Too remote...trust me, if it was available, in ANY way, shape or form, I would have it.
    04-20-2011 11:08 AM
    iTunes is clunky sometimes but hey Most people have no issues at all
    04-24-2011 03:00 PM
    I'm over it...it was definitely frustrating though.
    04-25-2011 10:11 AM
    I loathe, hate, detest, and abhor iTunes. I was excited to get a Mac because iTunes was supposed to be so much better on OSX than on Windows, but that's not even the case.

I regularly have to restart iTunes because links stop working. Sometimes I can right click/open, but that's impractical in iTunes, and it doesn't work consistently.

C'mon Apple - let's improve the base station.
    04-25-2011 10:55 AM
    iTunes bricked my iPhone 4 and my iPad during updates. Not sure if there's some corruption or what, but having to plug a new device into iTunes just to use it is ridiculous.
    04-25-2011 03:18 PM
    I'm sorry about your problems but I cannot believe someone still has dial up in this day and age.
    04-25-2011 04:19 PM
    By the way, I can't relate to this thread. I've loved iTunes since I bought the very first iMac. Even though it was undoubtedly easier to use on a Mac, I've had absolutely no issues with it on my PC as it's worlds better than Windows Media Player, which I could never get used to.
    04-25-2011 04:21 PM
    Pff...windows media player is ONLY ok for watching videos, and only because it loads up pretty quickly. WMP sucks for everything else. iTunes is nice for everything but syncing devices to it. That is my biggest complaint with iTunes. I like how you can organize music, make playlists, and everything else about it's music handling capabilities, but syncing devices (of any kind) blows on iTunes.

And yes, dial-up. It sucks as much as you think it does, but it's because there is only ONE way to get anything faster, and that's satellite, and I'm not paying for that. But if dial-up is what I have to put up with to live out in the country to be away from crazy *** city folk, then I'll deal...I have satellite TV, and that's great. I work in town, so I get my internet fix during the day.
    04-26-2011 01:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD