Please help-Installed 4.2.1 from Saved SHSH-Now Itunes prob

Bashy

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

After being on 3.1.2 for over a year. Finally made the jump and decided to update JB on my 3GS.
After help from this forum (ipheuria/Blink), I got the info to install 4.2.1 from my saved SHSH blobs.
Had to update my itunes to latest as I was still on version 9 something, but phone went into DFU fine, then restored fine. Now I have the USB cable going into the itunes logo on the phone (emergency calls only).
The iphone is recognised by itunes, but comes up with the word IPHONE in the main window, then a box pops up with a red cross saying
"We could not complete your itunes store request. The network connection timed out"
"Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connectino is active, then try again"

My laptop is obviously connected to the internet. And I don't want to connect to itunes store. ???????

It hasn't asked me to restore from back up or new. All it says if I right click on the iphone is "eject"

P.S. I'm running windows Vista.

Please help, I have searched but cannot find any help

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The phone is now on 4.2.1 correct and you are trying to JB it? I believe you edited the hosts file when you wanted to upgrade to the 4.2 firmware. Now the phone needs to authorize with Apple which is why you're at the USB to iTunes screen. You need to fix back your hosts file because it's not pointing at Apple. Once you fix that the phone should authorize and then from there you can run the JB. It will also start prompting you to upgrade the firmware so watch out for that. I will check back incase this isn't the problem.

Bashy

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
No worries Ipheuria...all sorted now. Had peerblock running in the background. Disabled it and now syncing. I chose to set up as new like you said. Will I lose all my SMS messages too?
It's syncing now so will attempt JB once it's synced.
If I will lose my sms, is there anyway to retrieve them.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You asked me the one question I can't remember. I believe the SMS are restored when you restore from backup so in the event that you do lose them you can go into the iTunes preferences and take a look at the backups saved for your device. If the most current one is from today's date when you just synced and there is an older one then delete the most recent one. Then right click the iPhone in iTunes and choose restore from backup. The backup is only your settings and data it has nothing to do with the firmware. This is only if you lose your SMS messages setting up as new.

Reactions: Bashy

Bashy

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
No. It didn't load back the SMS.
I've looked through my backups and the last named backup is from June 2010!!!
It's obviously setup to backup over the last one.
I have however got a backup of my whole Itunes folder (I did this last week).
Is there anyway I can retrieve my backup from last week from that backup folder??

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR