After months of trying to fix this annoying error I finally realized that this was an issue on the iPhone and not with iTunes, cable, or mac. My main machine is my MacBookPro. When I performed a backup on my MacPro the backup name in \Library\Application Support\MobileSyn\Backup was the same string as the backup on my MacBookPro. It had to be coming from my iPhone. So... here goes

Disclaimer - Perform at your own risk!
    1. Delete any iPhone backups from iTunes via Prefs
    2. Close Itunes and quit itunes helper in activity monitor
    3. Delete or move "backup" folder in \Library\Application Support\MobileSync
    4. ssh into your iphone. "ssh root@ipaddress" ~ Google is your friend. Use it.
    5. cd \Library\Caches
    6. "ls" to list files and directories

There should be 3 directories listed. Backup, Snapshots, and locationd. cd into each directory and create a new directory named "tmp". Move all directories under the aforementioned directories into the new tmp directory. Restart your iPhone, startup iTunes, perform backup.

After I had successfully, to my surprise, performed the backup I ssh'd back into my iPhone. The \Library\Caches\Backup and Snapshots directories are empty aside from the new tmp directory and below. The locationd directory has all the files that were originally there. Take that with a grain of salt.

I was at my wits end and really didn't care if I bricked my phone at this point. So I went for broke and I'll be damned if it didn't fix it!
    Last edited by jimmyc!; 01-13-2011 at 11:44 AM.
    01-07-2011 02:48 PM
    Is this for jailbroken phones? If so, should be posted in the jailbreak forum
    01-08-2011 09:52 AM
    This fix is not spefic to JB iPhones. It has been decided.
    01-08-2011 12:26 PM
    Lol! Well decide away he he.
    01-08-2011 02:46 PM
    Glad you took it that way! I in now way wanted to come off as being arrogant. I was a trying to be a funny. That being said it might be beneficial to post it on the JB forum. From what I've read this seems to be happening to quite a few people. JB or not. Apple only addresses it with their "delete backup out of itunes, delete backup out of Library and perform a manual backup." That simply did not work for me. I'm just glad to have a backup now.
    01-08-2011 05:52 PM
    You have to be jailbroken to SSH into your phone.
    01-08-2011 05:53 PM
    Lord forgive me. I have been outed as a JBer. You're absolutely right laelipoo. You do have to be JB to ssh into your iPhone. But the problem is not specific to JB'n iPhones. So... let's say your having this "problem" and your iphone is not JB'n. What do you do? Just sit there as OS updates pass you by? Do you uninstall iTunes and reinstall? Do you reload the OS on your PC or Mac because you're so frustrated with this problem? Others have gone this far. Or do you follow step 4? ""ssh into your iphone. "ssh root@ipaddress"" ~ Google is your friend. Use it ~. When a user googles "ssh into iphone" they will find out that it has to be JB'n in order to do this. In no way do I encourage others to JB. But... would you upgrade to a new OS without a good backup?

In my opinion JB'n your iphone in order to get a good backup before an OS update is worth it.

But then again maybe I'm wrong. It's been known to happen.
    01-08-2011 09:16 PM
    when you plug you iphone back up to you itunes itll back it up completly your pics your contacts your messages etc. it wont erase it because itll back it up first..You may loose music though im not sure if it backs that up or not i cant remember that part
    09-23-2011 11:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD