I hope this is the right place to ask this:

I keep my music in a separate directory and have chosen not to consolidate my library. This is for various reasons (I like to manage my own music, edit tags etc).

I will be getting a brand new PC and wish to move everything (MP3's, Podcasts, purchased shows etc) to the new PC. I can use an external USB drive to move files.

What is the best way of doing this? I install a fresh iTunes on my new PC. Then what?

Can I copy all relevant files and directories, (including the "iTunes Library.xml" and "iTunes Library.itl" files) over and select to open that library?

I'm assuming that this won't work because of the paths in these files.

Will this work if I keep the same path?

Currently, my iTunes stuff is in Z:\Music\iTunes and my MP3's are in Z:\Music\My Music CDs directories.

Please help.
    Aloke
    11-21-2010 08:34 PM
    I hope this is the right place to ask this:

I keep my music in a separate directory and have chosen not to consolidate my library. This is for various reasons (I like to manage my own music, edit tags etc).

I will be getting a brand new PC and wish to move everything (MP3's, Podcasts, purchased shows etc) to the new PC. I can use an external USB drive to move files.

What is the best way of doing this? I install a fresh iTunes on my new PC. Then what?

Can I copy all relevant files and directories, (including the "iTunes Library.xml" and "iTunes Library.itl" files) over and select to open that library?

I'm assuming that this won't work because of the paths in these files.

Will this work if I keep the same path?

Currently, my iTunes stuff is in Z:\Music\iTunes and my MP3's are in Z:\Music\My Music CDs directories.

Please help.
    Aloke
    The simplest way to do this without needing to manually edit files is to move both the itunes files (program files) and the entire library folder to the exact same locations on the new PC, then install a fresh copy of itunes directly over it. It works much better than the export/import method...
    11-21-2010 08:38 PM
    Currently, ITunes is installed to my C: drive and my media and library (not consolidated) is on my network NAS (Z: drive).

On my new PC, C: will be a SSD with only Windows 7. D: will have all my applications, and Z (I could name it that) will have all my data. I'll have do a fresh install of iTunes on my D: drive on the new PC.

Looks like if I copy the same directory structure over to the Z: on my new PC and open the .itl file, it will work ... Will this happen even for DRM'ed TV programs etc?
    11-21-2010 08:49 PM
    Currently, ITunes is installed to my C: drive and my media and library (not consolidated) is on my network NAS (Z: drive).

On my new PC, C: will be a SSD with only Windows 7. D: will have all my applications, and Z (I could name it that) will have all my data. I'll have do a fresh install of iTunes on my D: drive on the new PC.

Looks like if I copy the same directory structure over to the Z: on my new PC and open the .itl file, it will work ... Will this happen even for DRM'ed TV programs etc?
    You need to put program files as they were before. If they were on C before they need to be on C again.

I run an SSD and you should have OS and program files on same drive anyway...
    11-21-2010 10:56 PM
    Why would the Program files need to be in the same path?

I can't afford a SSD large enough for Windows 7 and my applications. I might install a few commonly used apps on C:
    11-21-2010 11:19 PM
    Why would the Program files need to be in the same path?

I can't afford a SSD large enough for Windows 7 and my applications. I might install a few commonly used apps on C:
    When Itunes intalls over itself it needs to be in the same place as it was before to carry over.

Try it...
    11-21-2010 11:26 PM
    I moved stuff from one computer to another before and to move all the itunes stuff used the home sharing feature, as I don't use it otherwise.
    11-22-2010 01:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD