Configuring iTunes Home Share with AppleTV

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a large movie collection that I want to stream to the grandkids playroom with an AppleTV. Because of the number of movies and the disk space required to store the data, I have the movies separated by genre on two different computers. Both computers have iTunes installed and both have HomeShare turned on, and are using the same iTunes account... but the AppleTV only sees one of the accounts.

If I understand the HomeShare correctly, I should be able to see all of the movies within any iTunes library that has HomeShare turned on, as long as everything (computers and AppleTVs) use the same iTunes account for the HomeShare.

What am I missing here? Has anyone been able to get it to work as described above?

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Do the iTunes libraries on both computers have unique names?

You should definitely see both. I see both my laptop and desktop on ATV.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes... both have unique names... and under the COMPUTERS menu on the AppleTV I only see my MacBook Pro library... not the Win7 machine.

Both computer's iTunes app shows the other computer's library under SHARED...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Update: I got it working...

For the sake of documenting the issue and solution, to enable HomeShare with AppleTV, all iTunes installations must be a version 10.0.1 or higher. The Win7 machine had iTunes v 10.0.0.xx. As soon as I realized that, I upgraded to the latest (v 10.0.1.22) and it's all good.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2