iTunes 10 Thoughts

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Trust me... I will never want those insignificant so-called "upgrades".

Reception? Mine is fine.
Proximity sensor issues? I'm good.
Yellowing pictures? Nope.
Bluetooth connectivity and/or reception issues? Nada!

And I could care less about the camera's new HDR thingy because I rarely take pictures anyway. My current jailbreak runs smooth as silk and I don't feel the need to sacrifice that for the latest iOS nor am I compelled to disrupt my current music listening habits on iTunes just because there's a newer version which is not necessarily synonymous with "better".

:) justsaying

Pretty much agree here. Don't see anything worth losing a jb over. I'll upgrade when its jb ready.

SockRolid

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
iTunes 10.0 seems fine so far. I like the overall monochrome look, but I'm not sure what Apple was thinking with the vertically grouped close/max/min buttons. iTunes has become Apple's test bed for future tweaks to Mac OS X itself, so maybe we'll see that in Mac OS X 10.7 (or will the next version be called 11.0?)

But one thing mystifies me. I kept going to the App Store app on my iPhone, expecting the iOS version of iTunes to also be updated with Ping etc. so I could download it and be up to date. Never happened. And yet Ping was right there in iTunes on my iPhone.

So somehow Apple must be able to remotely enable features in their apps. A previous version of iOS must have installed iTunes with Ping, waiting to spring to life at Apple's command. I'm a Mac OS X programmer but haven't done any iOS apps yet, so if this is a basic feature of iOS apps, never mind...

marketsqhero

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
iTunes interface in iOS as well as AppStore is web based not on the phone. Therefore adding Ping into iTunes was a change at their end, not yours.

As for iTunes 10. Upgraded no issues. 25,000+ tracks with full artwork, no problems.

Like the new interface much better than 9. Ping might be useful but will wait and see.

As for it being laggy, well it's not something I notice running on Windows. Maybes it's a Mac issue ;-)

...and people complaining about the columns. Just customize it to show whatever columns you want. Or if you don't like columns use Coverflow, or Album Art tiled mode. You can make it how you want, stop moaning that it doesn't default to what you think it should look like!

Last edited:

SockRolid

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
@marketsqhero - "iTunes interface in iOS as well as AppStore is web based not on the phone. Therefore adding Ping into iTunes was a change at their end, not yours."

Thanks for the info. I need to play around with iOS programming so I'll know what I'm talking about in the future...

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, guys, but iTunes is already a pig application... the LAST thing that it needs is more bloat... and Apple does NOT need to be in the social networking environment. Period.

Now, wanna know what I really think? :)

Well actually what I noticed is that iTunes seems to have been trimmed down a tad bit when you compare download versions. This is the smaller version I have seen in a while, so you I think you maybe wrong about that.

I think Ping will be successful just because it is about music, artist, concerts etc. I am having a bit of fun with it myself!

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
So far all the new features are useless to me ping is just plain dumb and I have already turned it off I liked the old icon better as well

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I still like iTunes 8 :-/ Ever since 9 the interface has been glossy and Vista/7ish.

Ping sucks. Album artwork takes up too much space. iTunes Store is bloated and a pain to navigate.

As far as it running, it runs fine. I can deal with it. However, I did change the close/minimize/expand buttons back to horizontal. That was just plain obnoxious.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, guys, but iTunes is already a pig application... the LAST thing that it needs is more bloat... and Apple does NOT need to be in the social networking environment. Period.

Now, wanna know what I really think? :)

its a piece of bloat on a pc but i dont think so on a mac runs just fine quick stable and works perfectly even with all the new features

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I still like iTunes 8 :-/ Ever since 9 the interface has been glossy and Vista/7ish.

Ping sucks. Album artwork takes up too much space. iTunes Store is bloated and a pain to navigate.

As far as it running, it runs fine. I can deal with it. However, I did change the close/minimize/expand buttons back to horizontal. That was just plain obnoxious.

how do you change the close minimize buttons back? I cant find it

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I actually like the vertical buttons...when i saw it my first reaction was "I hope all the next OS updates make this change". Its different, and seems more...logical? (for lack of better term)

iTunes 10 overall is just eh though...Ping is pretty useless right now while the meat of the community is still building itself, and im not a big fan of the grey wash control buttons (which i know can be fixed...but why should you have to?)

I see it as a work in process...kind of confused why it was released as it is instead of a few weeks later with some further polish.

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
That's pretty funny that Steve announces it with Facebook integration and succinctly excises it from the program altogether.

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't get Ping. I understand what its supposed to do but I don't know.

I don't see the value of Ping either...

its a piece of bloat on a pc but i dont think so on a mac runs just fine quick stable and works perfectly even with all the new features

iTunes definitely slows my PC down and takes forever to load and I have a relatively high speed PC.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have no interest in PING, I just don't see the draw. There are enough social networks already, and with no integration into Facebook is typical jobs move. Control, control, control. Sure 1,000,000 users in 48 hours so what, what matters is the demographics, age groups, avg spend, time spent in PING. I buy music, but NOT from iTunes I buy a physical CD, burn it to my iTunes high quality and store the disc. I like to own my stuff not lease it from someone else.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner