The slowness of the iTunes app approval process is well known so I'm not trying to rehash old news. Recently a developer submitted an app developed for my business. iTunes rejected the app "because it contains minimal user functionality. Its sole purpose is marketing or promoting your product/service, and would not be appropriate for the App Store"

I know that my app will only interest potential real estate buyers interested in buying in my region. That's the entire purpose of the app! We'd skip iTunes if we could.

Other than the cumbersome process that we follow for test installations, Apple has installation locked down.

My developer question is this -when you submit an app, is there some place to indicate that the app is for a specific business purpose and not intended for general use? Is there some fundamental communication that the submitter may have overlooked?

Thanks!
    05-26-2010 10:47 AM
    Dont think so... maybe adhoc?
    08-20-2010 04:47 AM
    I think if you are making it for a specific business, then you need to go in a totally different direction and I believe that cost a lot more. Can't recall the exact details...
    09-09-2010 04:30 PM
    Either use adhoc, or have some requirement in the app that renders it useless if a non-business person downloads it.
    10-10-2010 02:55 PM
    The problem stated seems not to be that it is only useable by few people but that it only promotes another online service and does not offer any functionality despite this.

Can you elaborate on what the app actually does?
    11-17-2010 02:02 PM
    It almost sounds like something that would be better done as a web site instead of an app.
    11-18-2010 11:31 AM
    When you submit an app you are given the opportunity to communicate directly to the reviewer in the "Comments to Reviewer" box. You can layout your argument for why it belongs in the app store so they will at least see your viewpoint before making their initial decision.
    01-11-2011 07:19 PM
    no one is really going to download an app just for promotion, without much functionality :S. In any case, you'll just have to conform to the iTunes Agreement.
    01-20-2011 04:27 PM
    When you submit an app you are given the opportunity to communicate directly to the reviewer in the "Comments to Reviewer" box. You can layout your argument for why it belongs in the app store so they will at least see your viewpoint before making their initial decision.
    I actually did not know what the that box was for. I mean, I saw that it was added awhile ago when they redid the App Submission UI but I kind of just glanced over it and didn't even think about it really. Thanks for the info.

As for the original thread topic. Maybe add some basic universal functionality (like a basic note taking feature). This way you can argue that there is something the App does that everyone can use.
    01-25-2011 03:58 PM
    You can submit your problem to App Review Board at: developer.apple.com/appstore/resources/approval/contact.html
    Not sure will work but it worth to try. Anyway they will give you more details about the rejection reason.
    Or you can try email to appreview_at_apple.com
    01-26-2011 05:45 AM
    You can specify a country specific applications
    02-10-2011 02:14 PM
    Can't you make a web app?
    02-14-2011 03:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD