I bought a ringtone from iTunes tonight, but I can't get the thing onto my iPhone3G. I have synced my iPhone to iTunes post iPhone made purchase. It shows up in 'recently added' under songs in iTunes and on iPhone. It was bought AS a ringtone, is listed as such, is only 13 secs long, etc.
    I have looked around in my settings in iTunes as I thought that somehow my settings are inadvertently blocking ringtone accessibility. Checked 'show ringtones' in the General Settings, closed and reopened iTunes, re-synced iPhone, but nothing changed. When I click on the 'Ringtones' tab in the iPhone sycing info window it doesn't show even though I checked the 'sync ringtones' box.
    One other interesting thing I noticed in iTunes is that when I right click on the 'store' tab at the top that in the drop down menu the 'create ringtone' option is Not Highlighted. Why? I can't figure it. It sounds like a settings issue, but I can't find it. Also, another tidbit that could make a difference here is that I have the auto-backup in iTunes disabled.
    Does an intelligent somebody have any ideas on this?
    05-16-2010 02:43 AM
    you still have to pay the additional .99 cents to convert it to a ringtone, once it is converted it will show up in the ringtone section... click the ringtone icon to bring up the conversion tools in iTunes

total cost for a ringtone thru itunes will be $1.98 for .99 for the song and .99 for the conversion unless the song is 1.25 then redo the math
    05-16-2010 03:29 AM
    I still have to convert it even though I bought it as a ringtone?
    The other thing I have to figure out is how to enable that function in iTunes as I said earlier that in my drop down menu under 'store' that the 'create ringtone' option is Not Highlighted, ie. Not Accessible.
    Can you help me enable that function. Perhaps there is a setting in iTunes that I have overlooked.
    05-16-2010 03:52 AM
    I don't know exactly what I did in iTunes other than just farting around, but I figured it out. So, thank you for the assistance. So, to all those that have not yet created custom ringtones thru iTunes: You first must purchase the song or ringtone sound byte then pay .99 cents more to convert it to an actual ringtone. $2 to $2.50 all total. Not a big expenditure to have a new ringtone in my estimation. :-)
    05-16-2010 04:27 AM
    Actually, there are free ways to make custom ringtones for your iPhone.

If you are a Mac user, use Garageband. Although it's a bit complicated but ot's powerful and totally free

Google "ehow make custom iphone ringtone", you will get an answer.
    05-17-2010 03:00 AM
    And if you're a pc user, it's totally free to use iRinger with any mp3 you already have in your library. (Easy, too!)
    05-17-2010 06:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD