i want start syncing my iphone with another computer instead of the old one. what do i have to do to take my iphone backups, music, apps, etc to the new pc?
    05-02-2010 06:30 PM
    Copy your entire iTunes directory from the old computer to the new computer. Also move the iTunes folder in your Documents folder. Deauthorize the old computer from iTunes, and then authorize the new computer. Shouldn't have any problems.
    05-02-2010 09:02 PM
    ^^^ can you tell me where that file is located?
    05-03-2010 02:22 PM
    Do you have Windows or Mac? Also before you move the computer hook up your iPhone and click Tools there should be a choice of move purchases or something like that. If you are running Windows in My Documents or in the Libraries in Music you should see iTunes you can copy the directory into the exact same location on the new computer.
    05-03-2010 04:38 PM
    I have window xp, also would copying the whole directory take my contacts and calendar that I've synched with outlook too?
    05-03-2010 04:48 PM
    No, it won't take your contacts and calendar, those are stored in Outlook, and that's in a different location.

The default folder should be:
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\
    05-03-2010 05:01 PM
    Thanks for the help...it would be great if someone can tell me the location of the contacts and calendar files in outlook. thanks
    05-03-2010 05:18 PM
    Thanks for the help...it would be great if someone can tell me the location of the contacts and calendar files in outlook. thanks
    If it's Outlook (not connected to an Exchange server), then everything should be in a .pst file (or multiple .pst files depending on how you have it setup). Generally, the .pst files are kept in C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook if memory serves me (for Windows XP). In Windows Vista/7, they should be in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook. If you're referring to Outlook Express, I'm completely ignorant of its data structure.
    05-03-2010 08:39 PM
    ^^^thanks, the location you said was right, thanks for the help.
    05-03-2010 09:58 PM
    Anyone else in the future you can also just do an export in Outlook by going File -> Import/Export -> Export to a file, under create a file of type: choose Personal Folders File (.pst), Select the folder you want to export so choose the head folder under which all other folders are (Inbox, Outbox, etc. ) check include subfolders and follow the rest of the prompts to set the location to save the pst file. This is another way to do it, and you may have many different pst files all over the machine so this would be a way to put everything into one single pst file that you determine the location if you wanted.

Then on the new computer you can open the file which doesn't make it the active pst file, File -> Open -> Outlook Data File. You can import from the file which will import the contents into your active pst file by following the same process above but selecting import from a file instead of export. This will leave the original as a sort of backup file. You can put the pst file into the location in the info in the thread above to make it the active pst file.
    Last edited by Ipheuria; 05-04-2010 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Added info
    05-04-2010 08:24 AM
    There are also tons of articles on how to do this if you google it. I just moved from a PC to a Mac and found out how to do it just doing a google search.
    05-04-2010 10:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD