Run iTunes from portable USB drive?

zarquon

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
Is there any way to run iTunes from a portable drive? Not just move the library, but actually run the program from there? I will be visiting family in another state for a couple of weeks next month, and I've been looking for a way to still be able to sync my phone while I'm away, and to have a way to restore/re-jb if anything happens to the phone. Closest I've found is this:

? Run iTunes on a USB Drive or USB Stick

from a few years ago, but I'd imagine it's probably out of date and wouldn't work with a current iTunes.

Last edited:

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Is there any way to run iTunes from a portable drive? Not just move the library, but actually run the program from there? I will be visiting family in another state for a couple of weeks next month, and I've been looking for a way to still be able to sync my phone while I'm away, and to have a way to restore/re-jb if anything happens to the phone. Closest I've found is this:

"www[dot]getusb[dot]info/run-itunes-on-a-usb-drive-or-usb-stick" (Sorry; can't post a link.)

from a few years ago, but I'd imagine it's probably out of date and wouldn't work with a current iTunes.

Yeah I don't think that would work at all. You would need the entire library and iTunes on one drive, and there is just no way it would all fit. Hate to say it but this is why people need laptops.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, the author of the article I read linked to that thread; it's where he got most of his info. Sadly, one of the last entries, from 11/08, says it won't work for an iPod Touch 2G, so it's not likely it would work on newer hardware, either...

Oh that sucks.

Guzman

Mar 18, 2010
www.GuzmanWebsites.com
even if you could, the main problem is all the registry information will be stored on the physical hard drive of whatever computer you use to install it to the hard drive. when you move the thumb drive to another computer, even though all the files for the program are on the thumb drive, that computer will not have the registry files to run the program correctly. :(

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lakeland Ghost