I have a new 3GS, new bootrom. Arrived as 3.1.2, I foolishly upgraded to 3.1.3 because I didn't know anything. Now I have a replacement coming from my carrier, hopefully it too will come as 3.1.2. I have Itunes 9.0.

Will 9.0 force to upgrade to 3.1.3 when I activate the phone?
    03-15-2010 02:52 PM
    No, it will tell you an upgrade is available but not force you to upgrade.

Beware, that you won't be able to restore to 3.1.2 ever since you can no longer get the SHSHs saved onto Cydia for 3.1.2. If something "bad" happens with the jailbreak you'll be forced to upgrade to 3.1.3 and be in the same boat again.
    03-15-2010 03:47 PM
    Ya I'm aware that if I upgrade again I will once again be screwed. Fortunately my carrier agreed to ship me a new one owing to my complaints of 'problems' with my firmware. Since my first one (arrived a week ago) was 3.1.2, I'm hoping the next one will be too, and then I will be very careful not to upgrade.

All my contacts are on itunes, can I sync these to my new (hopefully 3.1.2) phone without triggering a firmware update? Does it matter that I originally synced the contacts onto my PC using a 3.1.3 phone?
    Last edited by NHL Fever; 03-15-2010 at 06:58 PM.
    03-15-2010 04:09 PM
    It won't upgrade automatically. But I have a quick question. What carrier are you on? How did you get them to send you a new iPhone?? I would think they would send you to apple to resolve the issue.
    03-17-2010 11:07 AM
    Ya I'm aware that if I upgrade again I will once again be screwed. Fortunately my carrier agreed to ship me a new one owing to my complaints of 'problems' with my firmware. Since my first one (arrived a week ago) was 3.1.2, I'm hoping the next one will be too, and then I will be very careful not to upgrade.

All my contacts are on itunes, can I sync these to my new (hopefully 3.1.2) phone without triggering a firmware update? Does it matter that I originally synced the contacts onto my PC using a 3.1.3 phone?
    Syncing is firmware independent so yes you can sync it will not automatically upgrade the firmware. iTunes will always ask if you want to upgrade and the first time it asks look at the bottom there is a don't ask again or something so you would stop getting the prompts. I'm still on 3.1.2 and I've only received one prompt to upgrade I'm not upgrading until 4.0 is available and JBen.
    03-17-2010 11:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD