Hello, I've been reading A LOT (including tethering) but could use a little direction... PLEASE!

I recently JB'd my 3gs 3.1.2 with blackra1n and loaded Cydia, Installous, and several 3rd party apps and a couple cracked apps. Everything was working GREAT, minus the need to reboot with computer/blackra1n everytime my phone shuts off; however, today I 'updated' my Iphone with Itunes and I lost Cydia and Installous.

I can still see all Icons for the Apple approved apps, just no 3rd party apps like SBSettings, Insomnia, or Backgrounder; and only the apps I downloaded from the App store are working (cracked apps have icons but don't work).

Additionally my phone is no longer JB'd and blackra1n won't install properly (it just hang and won't respond).

So, I assume I should NEVER 'update' again, but is there any easy fix, or do I need to 'Restore' and start from scratch.

Ideally, I'd like to find a way to reinstall Blackra1n, Cydia, and Installous without lossing the other Apps I still have Icons for on my Iphone (I assume/hope they're still there somewhere).

I'm using Windows 7 and the latest Itunes.

Any help would be GREATLY appreaciated.... Thanks - Rick
    02-02-2010 07:04 PM
    If you updated to 3.1.3, you're out of luck - until somebody manages to break the new code, and writes another JB hack. Apple specifically closed the loophole that Blackra1n used, along with others, I am told. That's the nature of this cat-and-mouse game. Don't get too upset - somebody will eventually write another hack and get the job done.
    02-02-2010 07:30 PM
    The new iTunes update doesn't bother j/b. I'm j/b on a 3GS and just finished syncing up to the hot new iTunes - no issues.

Could be some of your illegal software (Installous and cracked apps) that have caused you problems. Stay away from them, and don't mention them on the forums.
    02-02-2010 07:32 PM
    never ever ever... update your iPhonewith Apple software update until a new jailbreak is available. if you do hit "update" you will ALWAYS lose your jailbreak and unlock.
    02-02-2010 09:16 PM
    Thanks for the quick repies.. I'm actually on my Iphone, so I can't respond in detail right now. It seems the big learning point is NOT to update In the future..... Additionally, sorry for discussing Installous here (didn't know that was a no-no).

Dragon, you think I can recover the apps? Maybe if I can get blackra1n reinstalled without restoring?
    Last edited by RickDel73; 02-02-2010 at 09:38 PM.
    02-02-2010 09:33 PM
    I have the new iTunes and my phone is fine as stated above because it doesnt affect the phone. I will NOT d/l 3.1.3 because it offers NOTHING worth upgrading/losing a JB over.
    02-02-2010 09:38 PM
    Yeah, I have a lot to learn. iTunes has been really causing my some problems. This all started because I wanted to move my icons around with itunes, but it kept trying to delete everything when I applied th changes....
    02-02-2010 09:46 PM
    yeah you really can't use that feature of itunes with a jailbroken phone because iTunes can't see all your jailbroken apps. I've tried it before but quickly gave up with it cuz something always goes wrong.

And if you updated to the 3.1.3...your phone is not jailbroken anymore. and from what I've been reading, the 3GS cannot be jailbroken with 3.1.3 right now (according to the dev team) so no, you would not be able to get ANYTHING back...cuz you can't jailbreak right now.
    02-02-2010 10:07 PM
    Dragon, what about restoring and then jb? Or am I stuck with the new firmware and just have to wait for a blackra1n update/fix? Thanks for the help.
    02-02-2010 10:31 PM
    Since you have a 3GS, at the current time you are stuck, until either the Dev team or geohot can come up with a jailbreak that will work with the 3GS and 3.1.3

Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3
    02-02-2010 10:59 PM
    It's all so clear now!!!! Wish I would have seen one of the MANY posts that say "DO NOT UPDATE TO 3.1.3"

I assume it will take awhile for me to jailbreak again, right???
    Last edited by RickDel73; 02-03-2010 at 03:19 AM.
    02-02-2010 11:31 PM
    same thing happened to my brother just now, updated and bam lost his jailbrake and all apps...just hope someone will release a new hack for the update
    02-03-2010 03:33 AM
    Yeah, I just got my Iphone last Friday and I went a little crazy..... JUST as I got the basic apps I wanted (to include a couple Installous apps) I hit the update button.... STUPID!! But I did learn A LOT in the past few days..... I'm just a little upset with myself that I didn't see all the DON'T UPDATE POSTS!!! (well, at least they didn't make sense until I did it and was like, OH, so that's what I wasn't supposed to do)
    02-03-2010 03:43 AM
    Pirated App Discussion is not tolerated, Thread Closed.
    http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/iphon...scussions.html
    02-03-2010 05:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD