Moving apps from iPhone to iTunes after OS upgrade

LauraKoz

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm hoping this is a simple answer...

I recently did a clean install of Windows 7 and have started reinstalling all of my software, including iTunes. I have hooked the phone up and synced everything with the exception of my contacts (having major issues with Outlook, but that's for another thread) and my applications. In the iPhone view of iTunes, only the default apps are shown, while the phone itself has all of the applications. I would like to move the applications and their data from the phone into the iTunes library so that I can edit them and have a backup, but when I check the Sync Applications box I receive: "Existing applications and their data on the iPhone will be replaced with apps from this library." That to me sounds as if it will wipe out what is on my phone and essentially start from scratch. How do I go about moving the data from the phone to the library?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
He can't, the iPhone will think it's a new computer and iTunes library. The iPhone syncs with one library only so it won't transfer purchases to this "new" library. Do you currently have any apps on the computer?

Luckily, you can download apps again for free. Next time, back them up and then you can just drop them into the new library.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
He can't, the iPhone will think it's a new computer and iTunes library. The iPhone syncs with one library only so it won't transfer purchases to this "new" library. Do you currently have any apps on the computer?

Luckily, you can download apps again for free. Next time, back them up and then you can just drop them into the new library.

I've done that before actually.

It will transfer fine, it just won't sync them without wiping them off the phone first for the reason you said, that it's a new library.

LauraKoz

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
Thank you both for the input ...I love a simple solution. The transfer does clear the phone, but it transferred everything to the library first, and then resynched and transferred it back -so success! Thanks again ...now if only you had an interest in making my Outlook behave with Windows 7 I'd be your biggest fan!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox