I've only ever downloaded apps straight from the app store on my iphone, and the option to install/manage through itunes has always been greyed out as I've never sync'd them.

What is the reason to do this? Am I safe to do this now and what will that do? Just trying to understand the reasons to and if there's any occasion why I might need to.
    01-19-2010 05:05 PM
    In case you ever need to restore, or if you get a new iPhone.
    01-19-2010 05:08 PM
    I've only ever downloaded apps straight from the app store on my iphone, and the option to install/manage through itunes has always been greyed out as I've never sync'd them.

What is the reason to do this? Am I safe to do this now and what will that do? Just trying to understand the reasons to and if there's any occasion why I might need to.
    I look forward to getting my next iPhone. In order to make it truly my own, I need only plug it into iTunes. Imagine having to go to Google for contacts, someplace else for calendar, and the app store for apps. Some of my apps have local data that iTunes knows about but that the app store does not.
    01-19-2010 05:20 PM
    to back up all your info on your iPhone such as apps, contacts, etc. in case u get a new iPhone or u need to restore
    01-19-2010 05:20 PM
    So, right clicking your iphone in itunes and creating a backup, doesn't include apps? If so, that means theres at least 2 places you have to create backups to be able to restore your iphone to its exact state now: right click iphone in itunes - backup (to backup notes, contacts, messages etc?), and syncing applications...is there anything else that needs backing up?
    01-19-2010 05:30 PM
    ok listen lol...sync to iTunes to save all your regular iPhone apps, contacts, pix, etc

AFTER u JB...DL an app called Rock(its like the JB app store) create an acct, log in, and save all your JB apps

does that make sense bro??
    01-19-2010 05:44 PM
    THEN, when u need to restore...u restore, sync to iTunes and get all your stuff back, when your ready to JB again, u JB, get Rock...log into your acct and DL all your JB apps again and your good to go
    01-19-2010 05:47 PM
    Thanks for trying to help me out here, I'm guessing you mentioned JB due to my other topic that you've commented in.

But here I wasn't talking about the JB side of things, but spefically what syncing your apps within itunes (non JB) actually 'does'? - since there is the right click iphone - backup option, does that not backup apps too? So I'm thinking you'd need to do that AND also sync all apps to itunes (as I've never had the need to do that so far)
    01-19-2010 06:12 PM
    Thanks for trying to help me out here, I'm guessing you mentioned JB due to my other topic that you've commented in.

But here I wasn't talking about the JB side of things, but spefically what syncing your apps within itunes (non JB) actually 'does'? - since there is the right click iphone - backup option, does that not backup apps too? So I'm thinking you'd need to do that AND also sync all apps to itunes (as I've never had the need to do that so far)
    lol oops got mixed up, sry lol.
    01-19-2010 06:27 PM
    what right-click option so u speak of??
    01-19-2010 06:28 PM

it keeps a copy of your apps on your computer. it's as basic as that. when your phone is stolen, breaks, is lost, etc you'll be glad you have a copy somewhere.

you want to right click and choose transfer purchases, not backup. the backup does not copy your apps too, it uses the copy on your computer and just makes a note as to what app it needs to restore. I have 3gb of apps. it takes a fraction the time to backup my phone as to copy over my tom tom app.

get a copy of them all onto your desktop and then begin syncing. say "yes" to replace your apps. after that you never have to manually manage this again. the sync handles the rest.
    01-20-2010 09:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD