Hi,

Is there currently way to unlock a 3gs that has been updated to 3.1 Itunes?

My daft sister bought an unlocked 3gs and then promptly updated it to 3.1 via itunes.

From my understanding, if the baseband cannot be changed? Therefore she can JB it but not unlock it at this stage? Am I correct?

She also looked at some website where you pay for the software to unlock the iphone (from various websites) and she wanted to know if those would work? Presumably these are just people re-badging the JB and unlocking software therefore cannot do it as well?

Thank you

and you can stop laughing at her well I havent, the most expensive paperweight I know of!
    10-11-2009 05:14 PM
    No, she can't unlock it. Maye forever. I guess we will just have to wait and see if the unlock comes, but it's going to be at LEAST a couple of weeks.

Didn't the guy Who sold her the unlocked phone tell her not to upgrade?
    10-11-2009 05:58 PM
    Hi,

Is there currently way to unlock a 3gs that has been updated to 3.1 Itunes?

My daft sister bought an unlocked 3gs and then promptly updated it to 3.1 via itunes.

From my understanding, if the baseband cannot be changed? Therefore she can JB it but not unlock it at this stage? Am I correct?

She also looked at some website where you pay for the software to unlock the iphone (from various websites) and she wanted to know if those would work? Presumably these are just people re-badging the JB and unlocking software therefore cannot do it as well?

Thank you

and you can stop laughing at her well I havent, the most expensive paperweight I know of!
    No, for the simple reason by updating you also updated the baseband firmware for the radio. That is the part that is keeping you from unlocking and from being able to downgrade back to the previous firmware. Like the poster above me said, you may never be able to unlock that device again.
    10-11-2009 06:03 PM
    she has made it worse now, since she tried something else and its probably bricked. i havent got access to it so have no idea what she has done.

she's basically surfing the web and picking random bits up. having ignored the bit when i said i am pretty sure it cannot be unlocked. she is convinced that paying those websites they will unlock it for her.

was also wondering now, if she did a full restore and returned it to the standard iphone which will be 3.1.2 now. can that not be JB and unlocked again?

failing that I was wondering if bringing it into the shop and getting a contract and activating it that way.
    10-12-2009 04:53 PM
    Even if you go back to 3.1.2 clean off a restore you're not going to be able to unlock ( at least at this point in time, and perhaps ever ). You'll be able to jailbreak, but not unlock.
    10-12-2009 05:01 PM
    And you'd only be able to jailbreak if you could somehow find a way to activate it.

How old is your sister, man? Because trust me, those websites won't be able to help her. If we can't do it, or know of how you can do I yourself, it doesn't exist.
    10-12-2009 07:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD