View Poll Results: iTunes 8.2.1 Breaks Palm Pre Sync -- Who's at Fault?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • BOTH! Palm shouldn't have done it, Apple shouldn't have broken it

2 4.35%
  • NEITHER! In the tech game, everything changes

5 10.87%
  • PALM! They shouldn't have hacked the system

32 69.57%
  • APPLE! Way to alienate iTunes users who own Pre

7 15.22%
    Vote above, sound off in the replies!
    07-15-2009 04:17 PM
    I voted palm. Obvious reasons.
    07-15-2009 04:22 PM
    Yea I voted Palm to I would not want Palm using iTunes if I was apple.
    07-15-2009 04:24 PM
    i don't believe palm ever allowed other manufacturers to use their desktop software back in the day... that whole thing screamed HACK...
    07-15-2009 04:40 PM
    I think apple has the right to do what they want with their software. They became aware of the palm sync and they blocked it. I think apple is fully within their rights to block the palm sync.
    07-15-2009 04:50 PM
    No question, Palm is to blame. But at the same time I don't blame them for trying.
    07-15-2009 05:09 PM
    I'd be upset if I were a Pre user but is anyone really surprised by this? If I were getting a Pre, I would have done so assuming that at some point iTunes connectivity could end. It's too bad for them but I really don't think anyone should be surprised or feel wronged by this.
    07-15-2009 05:17 PM
    No question, Palm is to blame. But at the same time I don't blame them for trying.
    This is why I voted neither. It isn't Apple's problem to make sure they support unsupported devices, but can't blame Palm for trying.
    07-15-2009 05:19 PM
    This is why I voted neither. It isn't Apple's problem to make sure they support unsupported devices, but can't blame Palm for trying.
    I look at it as Palm knew this would happen eventually. So it is their fault technically.
    07-15-2009 05:26 PM
    There should be another option: I DONT CARE! Anyone buying a non-Apple device shouldn't expect it to work with iTunes. If it works, great, but if it doesn't you have nothing to complain about.

Also, the poll doesn't work on the mobile version of this site. You'd think a site dedicated to the iPhone would work right on an iPhone, right? Why not have a poll about who is to blame for that?
    07-15-2009 05:42 PM
    Yea I agree with Bad Ash & dizzy can't blame them for trying.
    07-15-2009 05:59 PM
    +1 - totally agree. Glad they tried and it was cool they did, but I don't blame Apple a bit for shutting it down. I would have if it was my company.
    07-15-2009 07:13 PM
    Palm's at fault. Also didn't Apple state something about how it 'might' not work in the future when it became known that the Pre could sync with iTunes?
    07-15-2009 07:37 PM
    Um..."No question Palm is to blame." Really? Apple left the back door open. It was exploited. You might as well start blaming Apple for leaving iPhone software open to jailbreaking.

Back doors are left open and exploited. Think of it as technological evolution, or capitalism and innovation. If you want to hate on Palm, go ahead and hate on yellows0w, redsn0w, ultrasn0w, purplera1n, etc., etc.

I am a recent convert to Mac and the iPhone. I love their products. Absolutely love them. I just try to keep a certain level of objectivity.
    07-15-2009 10:24 PM
    Um..."No question Palm is to blame." Really?
    Yeah, pretty much. Blame resides on the person doing the exploitation, not the exploited.
    07-15-2009 10:50 PM
    Yeah, pretty much. Blame resides on the person doing the exploitation, not the exploited.

Man, I hope you never complain or go to the police if someone enters your house and takes your CPU, TV, wallet, stereo or, God forbid, kidnaps one of your children because you left the rear door open.

Snack on that.
    07-15-2009 10:57 PM
    Man, I hope you never complain or go to the police if someone enters your house and takes your CPU, TV, wallet, stereo or, God forbid, kidnaps one of your children because you left the rear door open.

Snack on that.
    That was kind of rude, but ok. You analogy doesn't really fit here. It would be more along the lines of you having an alarm and $500 locks on all the doors and then a ninja comes down the chimney.
    07-15-2009 11:30 PM
    That was kind of rude, but ok. You analogy doesn't really fit here. It would be more along the lines of you having an alarm and $500 locks on all the doors and then a ninja comes down the chimney.
    LOL... this literally made me LOL!
    07-16-2009 12:30 AM
    Um..."No question Palm is to blame." Really? Apple left the back door open. It was exploited. You might as well start blaming Apple for leaving iPhone software open to jailbreaking.

Back doors are left open and exploited. Think of it as technological evolution, or capitalism and innovation. If you want to hate on Palm, go ahead and hate on yellows0w, redsn0w, ultrasn0w, purplera1n, etc., etc.

I am a recent convert to Mac and the iPhone. I love their products. Absolutely love them. I just try to keep a certain level of objectivity.
    Yeah, they left it open just for Palm... please...

Palm saw a chance and they took it. Fine, but they knew this would happen. End of story.

And yeah, try not to be so rude to people on the forums, 30 posts and being rude... not too nice. Thanks!
    07-16-2009 12:31 AM
    Neither... Palm needs customers and being able to work with iTunes would bring some of those customers, so they had to try. Apple needs to retain them, so they had to break it. Apple needs to ensure their products are seamless and non apple products will be a hassle.
    07-16-2009 12:32 AM
    Neither... Palm needs customers and being able to work with iTunes would bring some of those customers, so they had to try. Apple needs to retain them, so they had to break it. Apple needs to ensure their products are seamless and non apple products will be a hassle.
    One word for you: Rubinstein.
    07-16-2009 12:41 AM
    LOL... this literally made me LOL!
    Glad you enjoyed that. I actually just LOL'd reading it again.

I'm still waiting for the real fallout of this update to really take hold. I mean until there is something in iTunes 8.2.1 or higher that makes people want to upgrade I think Pre users will be fine using 8.2.
    07-16-2009 01:23 AM
    man, palm is so at fault. blackberries can sync to itunes, but they had the go ahead from apple. I mean, how hard is it to negotiate using someone elses proprietary software? Exploiting a backdoor? thats not what a huge *** company with the history of palm should do. Especially since they're trying so hard to be an iphone killer, and you turn around and make it itunes compatible? Especially if the pre is so awesome why would they anything from apple?
    07-16-2009 01:58 AM
    I voted palm. I wouldn't like to be a pre user...!!! iPhones are better!!!
    07-16-2009 02:37 AM
    Not only is palm at falt, but it is even worse because they mislead alot of people into buying pre's due to its (hacked) ability to sink with itunes. Now all those same people are screwed.

Its like selling someone a counterfeit ticket to a ballgame. If it works, great. If it doesn't, the buyer (not the seller) is screwed.

Stupid and shortsighted of them. Yet anotehr reason Im glad I didn't get a pre.
    07-16-2009 03:18 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD