iTunes 8.2.1 Breaks Palm Pre Sync -- Who's at Fault?

iTunes 8.2.1 Breaks Palm Pre Sync -- Who's at Fault?

• BOTH! Palm shouldn't have done it, Apple shouldn't have broken it

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • NEITHER! In the tech game, everything changes

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • PALM! They shouldn't have hacked the system

Votes: 32 69.6%
  • APPLE! Way to alienate iTunes users who own Pre

Votes: 7 15.2%

• Total voters

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Neither... Palm needs customers and being able to work with iTunes would bring some of those customers, so they had to try. Apple needs to retain them, so they had to break it. Apple needs to ensure their products are seamless and non apple products will be a hassle.

One word for you: Rubinstein. ;)

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
LOL... this literally made me LOL!

Glad you enjoyed that. I actually just LOL'd reading it again.

I'm still waiting for the real fallout of this update to really take hold. I mean until there is something in iTunes 8.2.1 or higher that makes people want to upgrade I think Pre users will be fine using 8.2.

hamsuplo

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
man, palm is so at fault. blackberries can sync to itunes, but they had the go ahead from apple. I mean, how hard is it to negotiate using someone elses proprietary software? Exploiting a backdoor? thats not what a huge ass company with the history of palm should do. Especially since they're trying so hard to be an iphone killer, and you turn around and make it itunes compatible? Especially if the pre is so awesome why would they anything from apple?

lionheartednyhc

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Not only is palm at falt, but it is even worse because they mislead alot of people into buying pre's due to its (hacked) ability to sink with itunes. Now all those same people are screwed.

Its like selling someone a counterfeit ticket to a ballgame. If it works, great. If it doesn't, the buyer (not the seller) is screwed.

Stupid and shortsighted of them. Yet anotehr reason Im glad I didn't get a pre.

scaliasphone

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
That was kind of rude, but ok. You analogy doesn't really fit here. It would be more along the lines of you having an alarm and $500 locks on all the doors and then a ninja comes down the chimney.

Guess you should have secured the chimney. All I am saying is that Apple opened itself up to an exploit....and got exploited. Isn't that really the bottom line here? If "fault" plays a role, it's with the company that designed the alarm and $500 locks on all the doors....and then forgot to secure the Chimney.

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
I think apple has the right to do what they want with their software. They became aware of the palm sync and they blocked it. I think apple is fully within their rights to block the palm sync.

i completely agree. Apple made iTunes, everyone uses it, Palm wants access to iTunes for ease of use for their Pre users. but not knowing all the in's and out's of how Palm was able to create a 'hack' to allow Pre users to sync with iTunes, i can't say Palm did anything 'illegal'. but if i were Apple, i'd give'em the boot too!

more than likely Palm will just create another loop-hole that lets Pre users sync with iTunes again. and that cycle of Apple update - Pre update will just continue. the best solution for Palm is to go make their own massive software program that will compete with iTunes. and good luck with that. lol

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Guess you should have secured the chimney. All I am saying is that Apple opened itself up to an exploit....and got exploited. Isn't that really the bottom line here? If "fault" plays a role, it's with the company that designed the alarm and $500 locks on all the doors....and then forgot to secure the Chimney.

My point was when creating anything whether it be a NAS (ninja anti-theft system) or an OS, you can only test so much with internal testing / beta testers. Once it's in the wild then you can have millions of people trying to "break in"...trying to find the smallest of flaws. The only thing you can do is find out about it, patch it, and release an update.

Yes, obviously some companies have left bigger holes than others (MS), but no company is perfect.

Oh, and I apologize for my rudeness. It was an attempt (and a rather poor one) to add a verbal exclamation point. Fell flat.

Apology accepted ;)
It's understandable when you are trying to prove you side of an argument you get a little 'amped up', but when you say stuff like "Snack on that" it comes off a little rude.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site

See that is the attitude that has our society so screwed up. Never blame the wrong doer, blame someone else.

There is no law on the books that says breaking and entering (trespassing) is a crime provided the doors are locked, if the doors aren't locked...it's OK to go in. Same with any of the examples you gave, it's not OK. Blame resides on the wrong doer, it's that simple, it's black and white, there are no shades of gray in this (or any of your examples) instance.

scaliasphone

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
See that is the attitude that has our society so screwed up. Never blame the wrong doer, blame someone else.

There is no law on the books that says breaking and entering (trespassing) is a crime provided the doors are locked, if the doors aren't locked...it's OK to go in. Same with any of the examples you gave, it's not OK. Blame resides on the wrong doer, it's that simple, it's black and white, there are no shades of gray in this (or any of your examples) instance.

Jeremy, forgive me for going off topic, but I think this post deserves a response. Below is the law of breaking and entering in the state of Ohio. I cannot speak for other jurisdictions.

O.R.C. Section 2911.13 Breaking and entering:

(A) No person by force, stealth, or deception, shall trespass in an unoccupied structure, with purpose to commit therein any theft offense, as defined in section 2913.01 of the Revised Code, or any felony.

(B) No person shall trespass on the land or premises of another, with purpose to commit a felony.

(C) Whoever violates this section is guilty of breaking and entering, a felony of the fifth degree.

"Stealth" has been construed to mean sneaking into a structure, whether the structure is locked or unlocked; door open or shut. There actually is a law..."on the books."

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Your reading comprehension needs some work, or perhaps my writing does, either way, you just proved my point.

There is no law on the books that says "breaking and entering (trespassing) is a crime provided the doors are locked, if the doors aren't locked...it's OK to go in".

Doors being locked would have to be an element of the crime in my example.

scaliasphone

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Your reading comprehension needs some work, or perhaps my writing does, either way, you just proved my point.

There is no law on the books that says "breaking and entering (trespassing) is a crime provided the doors are locked, if the doors aren't locked...it's OK to go in".

Doors being locked would have to be an element of the crime in my example.

No, no, no....

In this hypothetical, Apple left the door open and Palm went in. What Palm did would be considered a crime (in the breaking & entering sense). You can't just walk into someone's house because the door is open with the intent to commit a felony. If you do that, you're guilty. Doesn't matter if the door is open or shut. I think you could consider Palm a thief here. If that's what you meant, I agree. My earlier hypotheticals were a play on someone ele's response to my first post.

Rene's question is: iTunes breaks Palm Pre Sync-who's at fault? The question isn't whether Palm is a thief. I don't think the term "fault" really applies here. Apple left the door open. Palm exploited it. I think there is a consensus in the forum that people don't blame Palm for doing it. Apple put a stop to it. Palm will find a work around. And around we go. Cat and mouse, just like the jailbreakers.

Perhaps Rene's question should have been framed: Was Palm wrong to leech iTunes, and do you blame Apple for blocking them? It seems to me from reading the comments that is the question people are really kind of answering. Then again, my reading comprehension (and a few other things) need work :)

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps Rene's question should have been framed: Was Palm wrong to leech iTunes, and do you blame Apple for blocking them? It seems to me from reading the comments that is the question people are really kind of answering. Then again, my reading comprehension (and a few other things) need work :)

This I can agree on.

I do blame them for their laziness though, I think it would be easy enough (I say this even though I have no programming knowledge whatsoever) to create a desktop client that copies your iTunes library and does the same things as iTunes.

scaliasphone

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Actually, how's this: Was Palm wrong to leech iTunes, and SHOULD Apple have blocked them?

Apple can do whatever they want with their software (and app approval process, and everything else) and that's all well and good; however, by locking Palm out do they run the risk of losing ground to more open source minded companies like Google?

ddooley

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
In my opinion, Apple made a decision that could potentially hurt them in the long run. Apple is essentially pushing current and future pre user's away from iTunes. Those pre users will, with out a doubt, look at other options for purchasing their media on the future.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
In my opinion, Apple made a decision that could potentially hurt them in the long run. Apple is essentially pushing current and future pre user's away from iTunes. Those pre users will, with out a doubt, look at other options for purchasing their media on the future.

With the amount of iPhones and iPods out there compared to the amount of Palm devices... Apple did not hurt anything. And from the looks of it over at Precentral - they (users on the forums) claim they something other than iTunes. So in my opinion, no big loss.

mycrownvic02

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
With the amount of iPhones and iPods out there compared to the amount of Palm devices... Apple did not hurt anything. And from the looks of it over at Precentral - they (users on the forums) claim they something other than iTunes. So in my opinion, no big loss.

It may not be a tremendous loss, but I still see it as a loss. Although I dont think anyone will loose sleep over this.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I think it's good. Those Pre users got a taste of the iTunes system that "just works" and they will think twice about sticking with Palm when their contract with Sprint expires :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal