Itunes movie download wifi

mg48

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I purchased Valkerie the other night to test the wifi download time. I wondered I had to travel at the last minute and could not sync a movie how long would it take to download one over wifi. The movie was 1.6Gig. My wifi is limited to 1.5 down on ATT uverse. It took over 3 hours to get the whole movie down. I finally fell asleep and did not get to see the final time. But it looks like one cant really do this at the last minute at the airport while waiting for a flight even if you have an hour to go.

Has anyone else tried the wifi download of a movie? What size was it and how long did it take? Why are the movies so large? Is it so you can play it out of the Iphone/Ipod and a bigger display? I usually only have a 3-400 Mb size for my mobile movie size.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Well it would seem that your slow download is based on your slow speed provided by your ISP. I can download an iTunes movie on avergae 45min, and downloaded a movie via the itunes app and it took just under and hr. Perhaps getting a better ISP would be best. You average 1.5mb down. Where I have an avaergae of 10.5mb so obviously my downloads would be faster! Good luck!

EDIT: Regarding file size, theyre large because for those like me who watch them via dock, or my Apple TV so they can output all pretty and stuff, I assume :D

mg48

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I have the cheapest uverse plan locked at 1.5 Mb down. I guess that is kind of slow these days. You said yours is 10 mb down, but what is the capability of the iphone to download?

mg48

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
So if I had a 802.11 G access point and just as fast an Internet connection will the iPhone download at the full 54 Mb capability of the wifi system.

I'm not trying to be smart. I'm just wondering what if the limitations.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
So if I had a 802.11 G access point and just as fast an Internet connection will the iPhone download at the full 54 Mb capability of the wifi system.

I'm not trying to be smart. I'm just wondering what if the limitations.

It will only download at 54mb if your isp provides you 54mb downloads. For instance my router is 54mb output, but my ISP only proivdes a 15mb max(i believe). The iPhone will download at speeds whatever your router and isp can provide. Its not different wifi than you would have in your computer.

So even if you have a 54mb output router, your ISP is only letting you get 1.5mb down, thus you will only get 1.5 nothing more, which isnt the greatest.(But I am an ISP speed snob sometimes). If you want mega fast downloads, get a better provider or a better package or else you will experience 3-4 movie downloads like you do now

Last edited:

KoukiFC3S

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Well the reason the iPhone would download slower than a PC is because of the slower processor. I just did a speed test on my Mac and I got 12Mbps while the iPhone 3GS only got 8Mbps.

As for downloading a movie in an airport I'd prolly get a TV show instead. Should download a lot faster.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Well the reason the iPhone would download slower than a PC is because of the slower processor. I just did a speed test on my Mac and I got 12Mbps while the iPhone 3GS only got 8Mbps.

As for downloading a movie in an airport I'd prolly get a TV show instead. Should download a lot faster.

My iPhone and Laptop both refelct the same or close speeds on Speedtest, tests.

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I have the cheapest uverse plan locked at 1.5 Mb down. I guess that is kind of slow these days. You said yours is 10 mb down, but what is the capability of the iphone to download?

I get faster speeds on 3G than that so yes that is very slow. I average about 12-15Mb down through my regular ISP just to give you an idea.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I get faster speeds on 3G than that so yes that is very slow. I average about 12-15Mb down through my regular ISP just to give you an idea.

Me too, my 3G speed average is better than his ISP. I just did a quick one now, I was on Sunset Blvd in Los Angeles. OP, where do you live and what other options do you have besides UVERSE?
speed.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner