With the new 2.2 OS, app ratings came - thus making it much easier to rate an app poorly without actiually evaluating it. I've noticed in the app store that some app tayings are very low, but if you look at the written reviews, they seem to be accompanied by high star ranks.

In other words, I think that Apple has basically screwed up the whole rating system. It is now incredibly easy to make an app seem incredibly poor, in which it may not be.

I think theis makes it even more imporatnt that people actually seek out reviews on the internet before they purchase an app, rather than passing up a "poorly rated" app... Like looking at reviews by myself, cjvitek or others in these forums (or even else where.)

I suppose this means that I am goinng to have start looking more closely at poorly rated apps...
    12-11-2008 07:07 AM
    I *assume* that the low rated "reviews" are done directly from the iphone itself; whenever you remove an app from the iphone DIRECTLY, you have an opportunity to give the app a star rating or not.
    12-11-2008 08:13 AM
    yes, that's what I think is occuring.
    12-11-2008 09:03 AM
    From your post, it seems like you are implying that people, when they remove an app and rate it, are automatically rating it very low.

If that is correct, why? Why do you think people are rating app lower when they remove them from their phone.

Isn't it possible the people who normally would not rate an app (the time and trouble of going to iTunes to rate it) but don't like the app now have an easier way to express their views?

It seems to me that the people who rate apps with a written review on iTunes are either the ones that LOVE an app, or HATE it. If someone is just "eh" about it, they aren't going to take the time out to review it.

On the other hand, if they can easily put in a star rating when removing an app, their opinion might be tallied.

My guess is that most apps will start to drift towards the center, and the middle range votes are cast. It will probably effect the higher rated apps more, since they are more likey to be downloaded.

Just my guess.

Chris
    12-11-2008 09:30 AM
    From your post, it seems like you are implying that people, when they remove an app and rate it, are automatically rating it very low.

If that is correct, why? Why do you think people are rating app lower when they remove them from their phone. [...]
    If you read the reviews in the app store a lot of people complain about the app crashing and they are ignorant to the fact that they need to restart their iPhone and try again. My guess if that this may be happening and then people delete the app and rate the apps lower than had they had the app function after restarting
    12-11-2008 05:34 PM
    It seems logical that if you're moving it from your phone, you didn't think it was a good app. Therefore, you would tend to rate it much lower than if you took the time to review it.
    12-12-2008 11:29 AM
    It seems logical that if you're moving it from your phone, you didn't think it was a good app. Therefore, you would tend to rate it much lower than if you took the time to review it.
    At first I agreed with this, until I removed an app I liked, but really didn't use anymore. I ended up giving it a 4 star rating before deleting. I would bet that most people would rate the way that you state above.

As far as screwing the review system, if anything I think it would normalize the rating system. You have a ton of crappy apps out there that have very high ratings. I would think that this would add better and more reviews due to the easy of rating. Not everyone has the time or patience to write a review for every app they have.

PS...Thanks to all of our forum reviewers and the time they dedicate! I read everyone that is posted!
    12-12-2008 04:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD