iTunes 8.0.2 and 2.2 Firmware out NOW

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Already downloaded... ;)

*Tried waking Rene up with a ton of emails but he must be a heavy sleeper... he missed all the fun last night. :p

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Safari is SO much better... very stable. Here is a full list of bug fixes.

iPhone OS 2.2 and iPhone OS for iPod touch 2.2

CoreGraphics

CVE-ID: CVE-2008-2321

Available for: iPhone OS 1.0 through 2.1, iPhone OS for iPod touch 1.1 through 2.1

Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution

Description: CoreGraphics contains memory corruption issues in the processing of arguments. Passing untrusted input to CoreGraphics via an application, such as a web browser, may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution. This update addresses the issue through improved bounds checking. Credit to Michal Zalewski of Google for reporting this issue.

ImageIO

CVE-ID: CVE-2008-2327

Available for: iPhone OS 1.0 through 2.1, iPhone OS for iPod touch 1.1 through 2.1

Impact: Viewing a maliciously crafted TIFF image may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution

Description: Multiple uninitialized memory access issues exist in libTIFF's handling of LZW-encoded TIFF images. Viewing a maliciously crafted TIFF image may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution. This update addresses the issue through proper memory initialization and additional validation of TIFF images.

ImageIO

CVE-ID: CVE-2008-1586

Impact: Viewing a maliciously crafted TIFF image may lead to an unexpected device reset

Description: A memory exhaustion issue exists in the handling of TIFF images. Viewing a maliciously crafted TIFF image may lead to an unexpected device reset. This update addresses the issue by limiting the amount of memory allocated to open a TIFF image. Credit to Sergio 'shadown' Alvarez of n.runs AG for reporting this issue.

Networking

CVE-ID: CVE-2008-4227

Impact: The encryption level for PPTP VPN connections may be lower than expected

Description: The encryption level for PPTP VPN connections may revert to a previous lower setting. This update addresses the issue by properly setting the encryption preferences. Credit to Stephen Butler of the University of Illinois of Urbana-Champaign for reporting this issue.

Office Viewer

CVE-ID: CVE-2008-4211

Impact: Viewing a maliciously crafted Microsoft Excel file may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution

Description: A signedness issue in Office Viewer's handling of columns in Microsoft Excel files may result in an out-of-bounds memory access. Viewing a maliciously crafted Microsoft Excel file may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution. This update addresses the issue by ensuring that the affected index values are not negative. Credit: Apple.

Passcode Lock

CVE-ID: CVE-2008-4228

Impact: Emergency calls are not restricted to emergency numbers

Description: iPhone provides the ability to make an emergency call when locked. Currently, an emergency call may be placed to any number. A person with physical access to an iPhone may take advantage of this feature to place arbitrary calls which are charged to the iPhone owner. This update addresses the issue by restricting emergency calls to a limited set of phone numbers.

Passcode Lock

CVE-ID: CVE-2008-4229

Impact: Restoring a device from backup may not re-enable the Passcode Lock

Description: The Passcode Lock feature is designed to prevent applications from being launched unless the correct passcode is entered. A race condition in the handling of device settings may cause the Passcode Lock to be removed when the device is restored from backup. This may allow a person with physical access to the device to launch applications without the passcode. This update addresses the issue by improving the system's ability to recognize missing preferences. This issue does not affect systems prior to iPhone OS 2.0 or iPhone OS for iPod touch 2.0. Credit to Nolen Scaife for reporting this issue.

Passcode Lock

CVE-ID: CVE-2008-4230

Impact: Short Message Service (SMS) messages may be revealed before the passcode is entered

Description: If an SMS message arrives while the emergency call screen is visible, the entire SMS message is displayed, even if the "Show SMS Preview" preference was set to "OFF". This update addresses the issue by, in this situation, displaying only a notification that a SMS message has arrived, and not its content.

Safari

CVE-ID: CVE-2008-4231

Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution

Description: A memory corruption issue exists in the handling of HTML table elements. Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution. This update addresses the issue through improved handling of HTML table elements. Credit to Haifei Li of Fortinet's FortiGuard Global Security Research Team for reporting this issue.

Safari

CVE-ID: CVE-2008-4232

Impact: Websites with embedded iframe elements may be vulnerable to user interface spoofing

Description: Safari allows an iframe element to display content outside its boundaries, which may lead to user interface spoofing. This update addresses the issue by not allowing iframe elements to display content outside their boundaries. This issue does not affect systems prior to iPhone OS 2.0 or iPhone OS for iPod touch 2.0. Credit to John Resig of Mozilla Corporation for reporting this issue.

Safari
CVE-ID: CVE-2008-4233

Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may initiate a phone call without user interaction

Description: If an application is launched via Safari while a call approval dialog is shown, the call will be placed. This may allow a maliciously crafted website to initiate a phone call without user interaction. Additionally, under certain circumstances it may be possible for a maliciously crafted website to block the user's ability to cancel dialing for a short period of time. This update addresses the issue by properly dismissing Safari's call approval dialog when an application is being launched via Safari. Credit to Collin Mulliner of Fraunhofer SIT for reporting this issue.

Webkit

CVE-ID: CVE-2008-3644

Impact: Sensitive information may be disclosed to a person with physical access to an unlocked device

Description: Disabling autocomplete on a form field may not prevent the data in the field from being stored in the browser page cache. This may lead to the disclosure of sensitive information to a person with physical access to an unlocked device. This update addresses the issue by properly clearing the form data. Credit to an anonymous researcher for reporting this issue.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I love if you're on a different homepage and hit the home button it brings you back to the first page of apps.

Frozen001

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Some of the lesser features added to 2.2 screen shots.

-Streaming or downloading TiPb podcast - Priceless

-Having the app store organized much better - Nice touch

-More pics added to each individual app - could go along with the above comment but oh well. Still a nice feature.

sethclifford

Sep 25, 2006
about.me
Quick question - if I want to update and I jailbroke 2.1, can I just run the new installer and that will be ok? Or do I need to restore to a clean device and then install and re-add all my apps and settings and such?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Quick question - if I want to update and I jailbroke 2.1, can I just run the new installer and that will be ok? Or do I need to restore to a clean device and then install and re-add all my apps and settings and such?

You can update with no issues but you will not be able to jailbreak 2.2 with the current pwnage tool. You will have to wait until the new release.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Something else people should be aware of that I posted in Jailbreak Central but I'll comment on it here... all of you with hardware SIM unlocks are dead in the water with the 2.2 firmware. Apple has solved that and if you update your sim unlock will not work. Just a bit of a warning before you update.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Some of the lesser features added to 2.2 screen shots.

-Streaming or downloading TiPb podcast - Priceless

-Having the app store organized much better - Nice touch

-More pics added to each individual app - could go along with the above comment but oh well. Still a nice feature.

So I take it you decided to update and wait to re-jailbreak?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro