iTunes cannot locate my music files

mikenyc2

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,
I am running on Compaq computer running Vista. When I import one of my playlists into the ITunes library, all is well and I can play the music fine. On the Advanced tab in Itunes, I DO NOT have checked the "Keep Itunes music Folders organized" and "Copy Files to Itunes music folder when adding to library".

All is well until I closed down ITunes and then start it up again. When I try and play music from the library, I get the exclaimation point and a message saying that is doesn't know where to find the song, do I want to find it.

Why does it work the first time I import the playlist and then after closing ITunes I lose the locations. I never move the files. I looked at the iTunes Library.xml and there is a path to each song but I don't think that ITunes is using the path.

I even deleted the iTunes Library.itl and that didn't work (I thought that the database would have been re-created from the xml file). It was like ITunes created a new database.

I need my playlists working every time. There is software for the IPhone I want to try where I can stream music from ITunes to my IPhone. This will save me on storage on my IPhone.

HELP!!

Thanks all.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Try putting a few songs in the iTunes Music folder and do those still show up correctly? I've never run into the problem you are having.

mikenyc2

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
Bad Ash,
I see the problem. It is a bug in ITunes. When I import a winamp m3u file, it does the import but does not keep the location correctly. ITunes leaves out the drive letter. When I drag/drop a folder, then that works fine and the drive letter in ITunes Library xml file. I should be able to use an m3u file (since it is allowed by ITunes) where I have my music set up the way I like it, not haphazardly when u drop in a folder.

Thanks for your help, I think this is a Apple issue.

Mike

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
How many songs do you have in that particular format? I know how frustrated you have to be at this point. I have over 40 gigs of complete cds on my computer and everything has to be perfect. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner