itunes 7.4.2 is out

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I'm tired of downloading and restarting. This is the 3rd new iTunes in a month or so!! I think I'll wait till the firmware upgrade to install any new iTunes version.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
On PC, there's always a restart if QT is installed along with it. And I think there's another new one with this upgrade. I will just wait for the firmware upgrade.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
On PC, there's always a restart if QT is installed along with it. And I think there's another new one with this upgrade. I will just wait for the firmware upgrade.

What if everytime MS updated a Windows component or application (Word, Excel, etc.) you had to reinstall the entire app. That would be annoying.

iTunes is not some little app - it's a big one. They need to figure out how to do updates better.

(Granted many MS patches require a reboot, but most do not (these days).

Was using Ubuntu the other day...needed to install some codecs. Installed and worked just fine...no restart. I guess the Unix advantage (and why Macs don't require a restart).

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
is restarting/rebooting your computer that cumbersome?

Actually, yes...mainly becuase it interrupts my workflow. And for a while there, it seesm like Apple is issuing updates every other day.

The main problem with "dumping" Windows is that everything is supported/works/easy to do. When you go to the Mac, there isn't the same range of apps, and some things are a harder to do.

HOWEVER, the rise of open source apps and solutions have shrunk this gap. I have many Macs, but it's not quite at the point where I can make it my primary computer. But it's getting closer.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site

This often? Yes.

But I did also have to reboot for another program twice due to updates, just as annoying,

I often have projects open and have to save all of them to reboot. I rarely shut down entirely, usually go to stand by or hibernate, until a project is finished.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site

Reboting is ALWAYS cumbersome! I use Mac OS X @ work (reboots every 5-6 updates..generally when it's a security fix), Windows @ home (reboot every 3 updates) and Ubuntu @ home (never ahd to reboot for updates so far)...Ubuntu right now is winning in the updatet convenience category!

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
software update.....reboot......moments later, back online.

some of you are either dramatic, like the drama, or are plain silly.

sorry, i personally don't buy it.

i have a macbook pro along with other macbooks in the house. i also have a pc for gaming purposes. they all get their share of updates and the such.

rebooting is not cumbersome, that is what i said. it just takes a few moments out of your computing life when it actually has to occur, ESPECIALLY at the household level.

sheesh

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I've had it with all of them.

The last good OS was BeOS. Too bad that never caught. That was the schiznit.

But that's the rule...the "best" doesn't win - "good enough" does.

I liked solaris. Never had to reboot solaris. VMS, either, but the commandline sucked in VMS. BeOS was pretty, but it never felt quite finished to me. I have high hopes for os x; architecture is really nice, but i haven't used it enough to decide if the implementation is good.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site

i have a macbook pro along with other macbooks in the house. i also have a pc for gaming purposes. they all get their share of updates and the such.

rebooting is not cumbersome, that is what i said. it just takes a few moments out of your computing life when it actually has to occur, ESPECIALLY at the household level.

sheesh

First of all, rebooting can take a long time. My stupid PC at work takes about 15 minutes to reboot, because every time it does so it runs a bunch of processes to make sure I haven't changed any of the software on the machine.

Even when rebooting is relatively fast, i often have lots of windows and processes going, and windows keeps nagging until you reboot. I don't want to reboot until I'm done with my work.

And on my servers (I run two for web, email, printersharing, DNS, etc.) rebooting is actual downtime.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
i said it wasn't "cumbersome" as someone had described it to be. as for rebooting at work, many of us do so at weeks end, if not, it takes a few minutes for us at most. as for the servers, our IT dept handles them.

closing projects, and doing a restart is not "cumbersome." it might be frustrating, it might take some time, it might make you furious, it might be a pain in the ***, but i hardly would describe it as "cumbersome." that is my opinion.

I guess he doesn't do too many projects on his computer. Otherwise he'd know why rebooting can be a pain.

well, once again you've guessed wrong, but hey, whatever makes you happy. the drama....

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site

sheesh

I get a sense you don't have a job that uses a computer throughout the day.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
i said it wasn't "cumbersome" as someone had described it to be. as for rebooting at work, many of us do so at weeks end, if not, it takes a few minutes for us at most. as for the servers, our IT dept handles them.

closing projects, and doing a restart is not "cumbersome." it might be frustrating, it might take some time, it might make you furious, it might be a pain in the ***, but i hardly would describe it as "cumbersome." that is my opinion.

well, once again you've guessed wrong, but hey, whatever makes you happy. the drama....

cumbersome is not frustrating? Um....okay....

You really don't do much work on a computer, do ya?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2