ITunes Integration is the killer

Mavoz#IM

Oct 30, 2006
Visit site
Well I've just worked for a fair chunk of my morning to simply get 4 drm songs on my Treo 680...
it has frankly been a bit of a nightmare....involving repeated restarts of media player..treo and pc...many clicks backwards and forwards....all manner of troubleshooting procedures....how a more novice computer user could ever be expected to easily get purchased drm songs to work on their 680 I frankly don't know!!!!

I can't help but think this is a massive killer for Palm versus the iPhone...people love music....and while I've never used an Ipod...I can't help but think the ITunes process must surely work much easier than this....???

harps#IM

Oct 23, 2006
Visit site
If you are already a Mac user, using Missing Sync instead of Hotsync gives you the option of syncing playlists from iTunes (as well as albums from iPhoto) to you palm.
I do this with my T5 re podcasts and it works seamlessly.

As side question, where do you buy your Treo680 from and what $'s?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
For a segment of the market, yes. For another segment, the business one, Outlook integration is as valuable. The IPhone does not combine both (yet).

Surur

Mavoz#IM

Oct 30, 2006
Visit site
As side question, where do you buy your Treo680 from and what $'s?

g'day mate..

I'm actually a PC user...so hence I use Media Player to transfer to the Palm...I've found using regular hotsync works flawlessly for non drm mp3's...but from what I've seen the only way one can buy music and get it onto the Treo..is to use the Pocket Tunes..Media Player combo...

if someone knows another reliable way that one can buy music online in Australia via PC and get it onto a Palm reliably each and every time I'd be very interested to hear it! (Starting to think I might just have to forget the DRM stuff...frankly I'm against music piracy...but some of these music companies don't realise their drm protection actually encourages illegal use if u ask me!)

I got the 680 from Expansys.com.au...paid about $729 for it..but I think it's more expensive now...cheers

Mavoz#IM

Oct 30, 2006
Visit site
For a segment of the market, yes. For another segment, the business one, Outlook integration is as valuable. The IPhone does not combine both (yet).

Surur

Yeh that's true...and frankly I also think the 3rd party apps is the big one for me....so many useful little add on programs I love on the 680...I just wish the music process would work easier for the online purchases too...I think it's something Palm could sort out if they get a good seamless partnership going between the 3 players...a music store...the Palm device...and Pocket Tunes (or another player)...

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
If music, podcasts and media was the main thing I used my device for I would be all over the IPhone. I'm sure it will do it really well (and especially seamless).

Surur

harps#IM

Oct 23, 2006
Visit site
Mavoz,

I'm really keen on the 680 but find AUD$729/$799 a bit hard to swallow considering US$399 equates to AUD$510 on current exchange rates.

Harps

randyg

Nov 5, 2002
Visit site
Since really anything referring to the iPhone right now is speculation, here's something to consider. Just like Missing Sync has made syncing a Palm with a Mac much better than Palm ever could, it's possible they might even put out a version that will sync the iPhone with desktop apps. Another thing to consider, is that Palm devices don't even sync with Outlook without a third party app. So the argument that the iPhone doesn't (supposedly) sync with Outlook is kind of a moot point.

PSB22

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
iTunes Agent

... is your friend.

Will allow any USB flash-memory device to sync with iTunes. You jsut need to pair it with something like "WM5torage" and your treo 's SD card will appear as a USB device in the iTunes source list, allowing you to drop songs, then sync.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711