Hi

My Ipod Classic 160gb has suddenly got a problem , the RED X is appearing when trying to start up the Ipod, and it's making strange noises.

I've read on the web, that this means the hard drive has to be replaced.

So here's my question:

Can I replace a hard drive that is made for earlier models of the Ipod? Is it possible to replace it with a 30gb hard drive (that is actually made for earlier Ipod generations)??

(My Ipod generation is 7th Gen)

I'm not really interested to pay for a 160gb hard drive that is over $100, that's why I would buy a cheaper one with less capacity.

Thanks in advance

Sara
    01-03-2018 07:51 PM
    Hi

My Ipod Classic 160gb has suddenly got a problem , the RED X is appearing when trying to start up the Ipod, and it's making strange noises.

I've read on the web, that this means the hard drive has to be replaced.

So here's my question:

Can I replace a hard drive that is made for earlier models of the Ipod? Is it possible to replace it with a 30gb hard drive (that is actually made for earlier Ipod generations)??

(My Ipod generation is 7th Gen)

I'm not really interested to pay for a 160gb hard drive that is over $100, that's why I would buy a cheaper one with less capacity.

Thanks in advance

Sara
    Hi Sara and welcome to iMore. It can be done. Not sure if you realize how difficult it is to open the iPod Classic. I have done it once and you can damage your iPod very easily. I suggest going to iFixit and taking a look at how hard it is to do. Just wanted to make you aware of this. I did it without a problem but it took a lot of time. Thanks.
    01-04-2018 12:03 AM
    I concur with firedept10, the classics are hard to get into. It takes some time and patience.
    01-05-2018 08:56 AM