Is the iPod dead?

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Fair enough. I personally only have around 8 GB of music on my iPod so to transfer it onto my phone wouldn't be that difficult. But if you have a spectacular assortment of songs that take up 60+ GB then maybe a iPod could still be for you but the smartphone is catching up :D haha.

Additionally, i didn't think about the face that people have 30-pin connectors for external speakers.

LOL, I'm thinking of maybe getting the next iPhone I buy in 256GB now (I always thought I'd just get 128GB) to store ALL of my music on it (I usually just have a max of around 8GB of music on my phone; right now, I think I have maybe 5GB), but then I'd have to get a more updated speaker dock.

The speaker dock I have with the 30-pin connector is great! My mom got it for me for Christmas back in 2007 and it still works perfectly to this day. :yes:

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I use my 160gb iPod classic every single day without fail!
It lives in my car and has all my music and podcasts on it.

My iPhone 16gb 6s doesn't have nearly enough storage but when I upgrade I might get the 256gb and cut my losses there.

If I do want to listen to music when I'm not in the car I always have other apps or Music that's copied up to iCloud from my mac

Remington Steel

Dec 12, 2016
Visit site
Remember buying the first video iPod back in 2006. Used it for years until my cell replaced it. It's been in the kitchen junk drawer for a few years now...lol.

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
You are making think about something, maybe the next iPod generation could come with something different, maybe being VR ready in some way, or attachable to the iPhone as extra storage and battery, I don't know.

But right now as they are I don't see why keep it on production, even the iWatch does the same.

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site
my first iPhones never had enough storage to be used for music. I think it was with my 6 that I started putting my music on it as well and ditched my separate iPod :)

I agree with @eve6er69 though -- passing down old phones instead of buying a new iPod is probably what many do. Also kids are getting phones at younger ages these days than in the past. I'd be curious to see what kind of numbers the iPods have.

If I would of asked the question about putting music on my phone and it was 2010, I would never used my phone for music. Up until 2014 somethings changed drastically, however I still have iPod nano's (more than one) that I would not dare to get rid of; as I started to afford more physical storage on an iPhone, having a iPod does not make economical sense. Still like the iPod, I just don't like it sharing the same fate as the Microsoft Zune did.

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I still use all the iPods we bought. I have an iPod classic for my office, and iPod mini for my wife's car when she has no reception. And iPod shuffle for my sleep ear phones (which I never use but are a cool idea), and the iPod watch has educational cd that I rip and play (I have no CD player in my car. In my family the iPod lives on!!!!

AppleKarma

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
I still love and use often my iPod Touch 4 and I really like the fact that I don't have to empty my iPhone's baterry when listening to a lot of music.

jlarkins08

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I use my iPod nano every day in my car because it does its job perfectly.. Just play my music please and thank you!

I actually have 2 just Incase apple decides to discontinue them, I have a backup!

Remington Steel

Dec 12, 2016
Visit site
I still love and use often my iPod Touch 4 and I really like the fact that I don't have to empty my iPhone's baterry when listening to a lot of music.

Yesterday I started out at 100% and did a 45 minute cardio session with music playing thru my Wireless Beats Headphones thru Bluetooth and it was still at 100% when I was finished. Now that's what I call a good battery life. This was in my 7 Plus.

Rolandh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I used to use my iPod Touch 5th Generation as an extension of my iPhone (for big games like FIFA Ultimate Team, Minecraft & Asphalt 8) from October 2014 right up until last October when I got an iPad Mini 4.

Roland

KitJackson67

Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
I still use my iPod classic. In fact, I was just listening to music on it in my speaker dock only yesterday. I honestly couldn't live without it as all my music is on it.

I love my iPod classic and still use it all the time. Nice to know there's someone else out there who still enjoys this great device too.

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I use my iPod nano every day in my car because it does its job perfectly.. Just play my music please and thank you!

I actually have 2 just Incase apple decides to discontinue them, I have a backup!

When I use newer Apple products - Apple Music, Apple Watch, IOS10 - that is what I miss the simplicity. Doing less, but what you robbery simply and very well. I think they need an editor who points out that more is less. Hard when everyone points out what you don't have. What you don't do. The urge is to put it all in there. iPods are a perfect example of a device that does one thing and does it beautifully.

golfinggod

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
I don't know what the sales figures are like these days but Apple haven't updated the line for a while and they're definitely not as prominent on the website these days so it doesn't look good. I love my nano though - I don't want an mp3 player thats the size of an iPhone!

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday I started out at 100% and did a 45 minute cardio session with music playing thru my Wireless Beats Headphones thru Bluetooth and it was still at 100% when I was finished. Now that's what I call a good battery life. This was in my 7 Plus.

I've listened to four hours of music on my 6s at times while at work and barely lost any battery. At most, I think it would drain maybe 4% while listening. But generally, the percentage lost was due to texting and browsing the web and/or Facebook.

leandrodp2016

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site
ac22a5928e67fe518cad2a45582862d7.jpg

My iPod nano seems to be on its last days. All of a sudden those stripes (which do not move) appeared, and there seems to be a round stain in the background. Haven't dropped it, stepped on it or let water touch it. I have no clue. Sound is okay, Nike app for running works fine.

facecard

May 16, 2017
Visit site
I have an 80gb iPod Classic and I use it frequently to test desktop speakers and I listen to music. Plus, it is 80gigs of dedicated space for music. Space is not shared with other Apps. You don't find dedicated space to something on an iPod Touch or iPhone. I do use an iPod Touch and iPhone as well. The downside to using an iPod Classic, I have to connect it to a computer to transfer songs. I still like the old fashion iPod Classic.

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
iPods are not dead. Far from it. There is quite a good market for them still on eBay. The popular ones now are new classic click wheel models with big batteries and 128GB, 256GB or even 512GB of SSD storage. Basically they are still being made in China, just with updated internals.

I have made my own, starting from a great condition 7th gen 120gb hard drive model. I bought a 128GB SSD drive ( drop in replacement). Then I got a new, bigger back case and a huge 2000 mah battery to replace the original battery, which was about 700 mah. It literally plays for days now, something like 100 hours run time between charges. Very nice.

decarlo4

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I still have my iPod touch generation that I use with my speaker dock in my kitchen. I don't really use it anyplace else because it needs to be plugged in constantly because it loses battery life if unplugged even when it's not being used. I love it because it houses my old music collection, from cds, about 3500 songs.

leandrodp2016

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site
I have an 80gb iPod Classic and I use it frequently to test desktop speakers and I listen to music. Plus, it is 80gigs of dedicated space for music. Space is not shared with other Apps. You don't find dedicated space to something on an iPod Touch or iPhone. I do use an iPod Touch and iPhone as well. The downside to using an iPod Classic, I have to connect it to a computer to transfer songs. I still like the old fashion iPod Classic.

It finally sorted itself out. It works perfectly now and the screen went back to normal. Really glad since I use it a lot during my workouts!. I love the iPod and I truly hope Apple doesn't get rid of it.

facecard

May 16, 2017
Visit site
The other day, I took my iPod Classic out to listen to music as I walk/jog around the track. I am using the original Apple earbuds with the cable. I have fairly large ears, maybe a normal size for a man. I started to jog and the earbuds came loose from my ear and I had to take them off because of the movement of jogging. I thought this is not good because how do I listen to music if I can't keep the earbuds secure in my ear. The obvious answer is use an iPod Touch or Phone with bluetooth and buy bluetooth earbuds or headphones. That would be the no brainer thought. I am not ready to give up my Classic yet.

I would like to add bluetooth capability to my iPod Classic. I will be looking into a bluetooth adapter that supports iPod Classic. The downside, I don't want to the drain the battery. I will see.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2