Is the iPod dead?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
The last time I remember iPods being really popular was 2013, and after that it just seemed to die out. It used to be an important part of Apple's yearly lineup, but its hidden in the music section of their site rather than its own dedicated section. Do people really not want an iPod anymore? Are smartphones just really common nowadays that kids don't have any use for iPods?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Start by answering that question for yourself.

As for me? They have never been alive. I store music on my device and that's enough.
Why would I purchase a device, put music on it, charge it periodically and such, when my iPhone can do the same.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Start by answering that question for yourself.

As for me? They have never been alive. I store music on my device and that's enough.
Why would I purchase a device, put music on it, charge it periodically and such, when my iPhone can do the same.

Its dead to me. Last time I actually needed my iPod was mid-late 2014.

si001

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Still use one on job sites to test sound systems. I still have a CD player too. It won't be dead for quite a bit :)

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I feel like the new iPod is the old iPhone. I see many parents giving their kids their old iPhones and using it on wifi only as an iPod.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I feel like the new iPod is the old iPhone. I see many parents giving their kids their old iPhones and using it on wifi only as an iPod.

That's kinda what I was wondering considering that many people should have old phones lying around. I remember this whole smartphone thing taking off around 2011 when real 4G was being introduced and better smartphones were coming out. That's also around the time Apple stopped making iPods, except for the iPod Touch internal upgrade last year.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
The last time I remember iPods being really popular was 2013, and after that it just seemed to die out. It used to be an important part of Apple's yearly lineup, but its hidden in the music section of their site rather than its own dedicated section. Do people really not want an iPod anymore? Are smartphones just really common nowadays that kids don't have any use for iPods?

When iPods first came out, i think they were brilliant. They offered much more storage than the average phone which was fantastic. i remember mine having 128 mb or storage and my iPod had 8GB which was HUGE at the time..

Today however, we can get iPhones withs 256 GB of storage and the need for an iPod isn't really needed since the phone has become out iPod and various other things.

Merry Christmas to everyone! hope you have a lovely day :D

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
When iPods first came out, i think they were brilliant. They offered much more storage than the average phone which was fantastic. i remember mine having 128 mb or storage and my iPod had 8GB which was HUGE at the time..

Today however, we can get iPhones withs 256 GB of storage and the need for an iPod isn't really needed since the phone has become out iPod and various other things.

my first iPhones never had enough storage to be used for music. I think it was with my 6 that I started putting my music on it as well and ditched my separate iPod :)

I agree with @eve6er69 though -- passing down old phones instead of buying a new iPod is probably what many do. Also kids are getting phones at younger ages these days than in the past. I'd be curious to see what kind of numbers the iPods have.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I still use my iPod classic. In fact, I was just listening to music on it in my speaker dock only yesterday. I honestly couldn't live without it as all my music is on it. My iPod touch was kind of lost to me for awhile - it had fallen from behind a drawer in my file cabinet that my printer sits on and was hard to reach. Last week, I finally figured out how to get it and all the other stuff that fell back there. Battery was dead, but I charged it and it was fine. I probably won't be using that much, or at all, since I've got my iPhone 6s and iPad mini 2, though.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

Except for those of us who still own speaker docks that have the old 30-pin connector. Can't use my iPhone 6s in that. I also have well over 64GB of digital music (my iPhone is only 64GB), so it's nice to have that trusty 160GB iPod classic.

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a 4GB iPod mini 2nd gen that's still going strong. It's hooked up to an FM transmitter in my car and has more than enough music to shuffle happily through the average car journey

leandrodp2016

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site
I still use my 2015 iPod nano on a daily basis for gym/running needs. I don't like to carry the iPhone while working out, in case I drop it or damage it in some way. Besides habit to carry a phone (I have the plus model) while running is uncomfortable, and I can't stand armbands. So the iPod nano does the job pretty well, the Nike fitness app is great. I had the iPod classic which died a few years ago, and the first iPod touch, that one is still fully functional. However I guess the nano version suits my needs way better.

knoxDavid

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I owned two iPods for running and really enjoyed the nano--but once I had an iPhone I never really used the iPod again. Since it is now so low profile at Apple I bet the iPods are really close to be discontinued.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Except for those of us who still own speaker docks that have the old 30-pin connector. Can't use my iPhone 6s in that. I also have well over 64GB of digital music (my iPhone is only 64GB), so it's nice to have that trusty 160GB iPod classic.

Fair enough. I personally only have around 8 GB of music on my iPod so to transfer it onto my phone wouldn't be that difficult. But if you have a spectacular assortment of songs that take up 60+ GB then maybe a iPod could still be for you but the smartphone is catching up :D haha.

Additionally, i didn't think about the face that people have 30-pin connectors for external speakers.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
The part that bothers me now is that I have an old 09 mbp and a 6s. Because my mbp isn't up to date (because I don't want it to tank speed wise) I cannot get my music off of it onto my iPhone. Kinda pissed about that.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
As far as I'm concerned, the iPod died when Apple discontinued the iPod classic. None of the other iPod models have enough storage to be seriously considered as a useable MP3 player, in my opinion.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73