Why is my iPod touch getting calls when my dad's iPhone rings?

I

iMore Question

I have an ipod touch 5th generation. I don't have imessage set up and never have before. I have the same apple ID as my dad and brother. A few weeks ago I heard my iTouch make a sound I've never heard before. It was an iMessage from a number not in my contacts. I opened the app and saw that one of the conversations was labeled with my dad's boss's names and I realized that I was getting a message from his account. Confused, I turned iMessage off, but I had never had it on the first place, so I don't know why I had to. Then, a few days later I heard my dad's phone ring. I was confused and didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything. I heard my dad answer the phone and then the call went away from my screen. I figured it was a fluke, and he's gotten multiple calls and texts since that had no impact on my iTouch. Tonight, my brother called my dad and I again received the call as well. After my dad answered the call from his phone and hung up, I called his phone from the house phone, and showed him that I was getting the calls too. As an experiment, I answered the phone with my dad watching and I was able to talk to him and hear him when he talked on the house phone. My first reaction was to turn off the phone function, too, but then I remembered I HAVE AN ITOUCH. There is no phone function. PLEASE HELP. My iTouch is not even a year old and my brother hasn't had this problem as far as I know. Ever heard of this?

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
On your dad's phone, have him go to Settings > Phone and check the setting "Calls on Other Devices". Make sure that is OFF.
Then under Settings > Messages, make sure that "Text Message Forwarding" is not set to go to your device.

Note also that you should be using your own Apple ID.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Agreed with SwitchBeach. Set up a separate Apple ID. If you're worried about access to apps/media under Dad's Apple ID he can use Family Sharing to give you access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
You can create your own Apple ID and you guys can do a family share. That way you're not getting his calls or messages and vice verse.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711