Welp, I find it pointless..

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(7808135)

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
After really looking at charts of the sales, profit, and the revenue makeup of the Ipod, It's not worth it to support it anymore. Sales have been declining every year since 2009 and sales this year will only make 7 million or even less. That's if they don't roll any Ipod device out this year of course. The revenue stands at 1% for 2014 and this year could be .5% very possibly based on the charts. Profit for 2014 was also somewhere around 2.5 billion with my calculations.

? Apple: iPod sales 2006-2014 | Statistic

piechart2.png

anon(7808135)

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Umm, ok. I'm sure if it was losing money Apple would discontinue it. The iPod touch, at least, is still a good device for kids who don't need a cell phone yet.

Thing is, I never see kids having an Ipod anymore. I've seen most kids having an Iphone or a low end Android device as a starter. I'm 15 and now stuff has changed too. If you have an Ipod Touch, you'll get laughed at now which I've witnessed it. Plus for $100 more, you'll get a product that you know will get continued support software and hardware wise. The Ipod wont get IOS 9 and who knows whether they will make another one at this point.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
After really looking at charts of the sales, profit, and the revenue makeup of the Ipod, It's not worth it to support it anymore. Sales have been declining every year since 2009 and sales this year will only make 7 million or even less. That's if they don't roll any Ipod device out this year of course. The revenue stands at 1% for 2014 and this year could be .5% very possibly based on the charts. Profit for 2014 was also somewhere around 2.5 billion with my calculations.

? Apple: iPod sales 2006-2014 | Statistic

View attachment 77785

So, is your point that Apple should stop creating and selling iPods? If so, consider your point noted...;)

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Thing is, I never see kids having an Ipod anymore. I've seen most kids having an Iphone or a low end Android device as a starter. I'm 15 and now stuff has changed too. If you have an Ipod Touch, you'll get laughed at now which I've witnessed it. Plus for $100 more, you'll get a product that you know will get continued support software and hardware wise. The Ipod wont get IOS 9 and who knows whether they will make another one at this point.

So you'll get "laughed" at for the technology u use for music ? Smh, I use an iPod for when I'm at the gym, music in my car. I honestly can careless if someone "laughs" at me. Matter fact I've been considering getting a more update to date one. If Apple deemed the iPod as a profit loss they'd discontinue it.

Tapatalk'n On The IPhone 6+ 

anon(7808135)

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
So you'll get "laughed" at for the technology u use for music ? Smh, I use an iPod for when I'm at the gym, music in my car. I honestly can careless if someone "laughs" at me. Matter fact I've been considering getting a more update to date one. If Apple deemed the iPod as a profit loss they'd discontinue it.

Yes, you'll get laughed at which is the downside. Me, I don't care what others think but some people manage to let stuff get too them really easy. Which Ipod do you use? I believe the Apple Watch is supposed to have storage on it so that would replace the Shuffle and the Nano also.

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
The mindset of ppl these days. I'm using I think one of the first iPod touches. I know it's pretty old tho. The wifi on it doesn't work anymore. I'm still indecisive on wether I'm gonna get the watch. I wanna see user reviews of it first. It has my attention though.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Then you aren't looking at my family. I have 16 grandkids ranging in age from 13 years to 2 months. Of the ones above the age of 4 (11 of them), two have iPhones, SIX have iPods and three use their parents' iPad or iPhone at times. It's pretty much that way with the folks in the circle we run in.

And though I am far from being a kid, i still use one of my many iPods while walking, or doing other activities where I want to listen to music or podcasts.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think they should keep selling them but not focus on them at this point.

Listen, without knowing exactly who's Apple's target market and its expectations/goals in regard to the iPod, it is pre-mature to conclude that Apple should stop focusing on them at this point, as you've stated. Furthermore, there are businesses (Sears, for example) that use modified iPods for inventory and other retail-related purposes. As for you not seeing kids with iPods, I assume that is in your neck of the woods, so to speak. I still see iPods in use in my area, especially among joggers (kids and adults).

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
If anyone is curious my niece and nephew who are 12 and 10 still use their iPod touches that we bought them as starter devices like 2 years ago. I also use one to listen to podcasts at night to fall asleep while my phone is charging.

Sent from my Gold iPad Air using Tapatalk

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
There is still a big market for iPods if Apple stopped making iPods what would people use? It's really the only of its kind there is 0 competition in that market. It would be foolish for Apple to pull it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(7808135)

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Listen, without knowing exactly who's Apple's target market and its expectations/goals in regard to the iPod, it is pre-mature to conclude that Apple should stop focusing on them at this point, as you've stated. Furthermore, there are businesses (Sears, for example) that use modified iPods for inventory and other retail-related purposes. As for you not seeing kids with iPods, I assume that is in your neck of the woods, so to speak. I still see iPods in use in my area, especially among joggers (kids and adults).

The Apple Watch would replace the Nano and the Shuffle if anything because it's supposed to have storage space. So that means that you can add music onto it. The only device that might get hardware updates is the Touch but I can't see that happening anymore with the business declining. I live in KC and I haven't seen any Ipods here really, just Iphones and Ipads. I've lived all over Missouri too and haven't seen many Ipods lately.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The Apple Watch would replace the Nano and the Shuffle if anything because it's supposed to have storage space. So that means that you can add music onto it. The only device that might get hardware updates is the Touch but I can't see that happening anymore with the business declining. I live in KC and I haven't seen any Ipods here really, just Iphones and Ipads. I've lived all over Missouri too and haven't seen many Ipods lately.

You are totally disregarding the wishes of certain consumers - specifically the ones who prefer an iPOD. There is also a segment who prefers to keep their music on a separate player than their iPhones. In other words, there is still a market for the iPOD, and just because the  Watch may allow for the playing of music, doesn't mean that everyone will flock to it. Lastly, Missouri is "one" state out of many.

anon(7808135)

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Alright, well it was just my opinion but we'll see what happens this year with the Ipod. For parents wanting to buy their kids an Ipod, it seems like less and less parents want them having an Ipod over a phone or tablet then.. Hence the sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice