My youngset son will be 9yo here in feb.. Today he shared an ipad 2 with his older brother which has autism. So quite often he is the one who useing the ipad. I was thinking, buy some nice headphone (overear) an buy him a blue ipod with his name on it.

Maybe when it's own device he might be more into it. He can do lots of things with, photo, filming, facetime etc.. So my hope is, the ipod is smaller but he is also a young boy. He can easyliy tske it with him and its more handy.

Anyone had any experince?

Btw hello, my first post here! 😄
    01-21-2015 03:56 PM
    Anyone had any experince?
    Not myself... but if it's something you're comfortable doing - go for it. Make use of Apple's parental controls to help you...
    01-21-2015 04:16 PM
    Those blue iPods are really nice looking! I think it's a great portable device that's similar to an iPhone but with smaller functionality of an iPad. I'd vote yes. Especially if you put his name on it!
    01-22-2015 06:42 AM
    Welcome to iMore spindledk

A Nano is a wonderful device for a young mature child
    01-22-2015 09:03 AM
    Welcome to iMore. I think that would be a great idea and gift for your son....ENJOY
    01-22-2015 09:10 AM
    I'd go with an iPad mini rather than the iPod touch. But either way a 9 year old should be responsible enough to handle it.
    01-22-2015 09:49 AM
    My 7 year old was always playing on my iPhone so my wife and I decided to get her an iPod touch for Christmas. It's a great device for a child and it's great that you can now create a child's account for apps and media downloads which parents still have control over.
    01-22-2015 03:26 PM
    If you have an iphone to hand down, that's better. But otherwise, I'd go with an ipad mini. An ipod touch is just a bad buy IMO.
    01-23-2015 09:50 AM
    If you have an iphone to hand down, that's better. But otherwise, I'd go with an ipad mini. An ipod touch is just a bad buy IMO.
    I agree. My kids have had iPods for a while so they didn't have the new ones with the 4 inch screen, but they served there purpose. They just got iPad mini's for Xmas. I got the retina iPad mini for $250 a piece out the door. I felt that was a much better buy and will be more useful to them for longer than the "new" iPod. I guess it depends on what they do with it. My kids use them for reading and they have already read more in the last month than they did in 3 months prior. Plus they can access their homework on it now as well. I just think that you get more bang for your buck with the iPad. Good luck to you with your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    cardfan likes this.
    01-23-2015 12:34 PM
    The ipod touch is A5 dual core, first seen in the iphone 4S. 512mb of ram. That alone tells you its a bad buy compared to a retina Mini. You could even buy a used iphone 5 or above and be much better off.
    01-24-2015 07:37 AM
    All depends on the child's maturity level and whether he understands parental rules and responsibility for proper use of technology.
    My manicurists' kids have had iPads since they were just older than toddlers. I remember playing Angry Birds with them and they kicked my patiootie. The ten year old now has an iPod Touch and the five year old uses the iPad.
    Same with the kids in my family, they've all got iPads and iPod Touch devices. They get get a phone a bit later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD for iPad
    01-24-2015 08:16 AM
    I think it's a great idea!! Best to get children started early as technology is here to stay he will enjoy it and find it useful !!
    01-28-2015 03:54 PM
    iPod 5th gen is pretty old tech now and can struggle to run some newer apps and games which is a real shame since one of its big selling points was as a nice mobile gaming device. Its a good point and shoot photography device for the casual shooter and if its something that your nine-year old is interested in, it could be a way to get him started on photography. Its still good as a media consumption device (music and movies).

I have to agree with other users here in that there is little reason to consider one over an iPad Mini. A new Mini now will easily last him several years if he takes care of it whereas the iPod could be taking up drawer space sooner rather than later.

Always good to covertly assess his interest though. Maybe he would rather the pocket sized iPod than the Mini?
    01-28-2015 04:36 PM
    Go for it m8. iPod's are very handsome devices, especially if you jailbreak them.
    My little brother was 8 when he got his Android phone and i rooted it for him.
    Now he's giving support for rooting and flashing roms to people on the forums of Android
    Let him discover the technology, he's young and flexibel and hopefully ready for the future.
    IT is an growing business so it's quite essential to let kids get in touch with IT in early stages.

- iD
    02-09-2015 01:17 PM
    I'm still running around with my friends at 9 lol
    02-09-2015 02:24 PM
    I'm thinking of getting one for my daughter too. I'm following this thread.
    04-13-2015 11:30 AM
    Sure why not. My 4 yr old has a iPad Mini she using for learning and exploring.
    04-13-2015 11:36 AM
    I would personally go with getting him an iPad mini 2. They are $100 cheaper (and just don't have Touch ID). The iPod like is pretty much out the window, and the iPod Touch's processor is similar to the iPhone 4s, a phone that's outdated and not officially sold anymore.

The iPod touch is also very slow on iOS 8. Even swiping through home screens shows noticeable lag. It most likely not see iOS 9, but we'll have to wait for WWDC to see.

iPad Mini's screen has a bad color gamut, and colors may look dull and washed away, especially when compared to other devices. Compared to the iPod, though, the iPad mini is better to watch movies and play games on.

Hope this helped!
    04-15-2015 07:26 AM
    Personally my thoughts on the matter vary. At the age of 9 I am unsure if I would provide a device like that to my son(s). First I would have to analyze if my investment will be treated appropriately. If you feel confident that your child would treat something like that with respect then I would proceed. The direction that I would proceed may differ though. My wife and I determined that it was possibly time to purchase something such as this for our 7 and 8 year old boys this past Christmas. Currently there are a variety of kids tablets in the market, such as the Samsung Galaxy 3 and the Nabi Dreamtab. We actually found a Black Friday deal on the Nabi, and at $100 a piece and a couple hours in line with other angry shoppers they were ours. I know that they aren't Apple products with quite the same usability but for a first device they suited our needs and wants. If you feel that you need something more advanced that is understandable. That being said, my 14 year old has the Mini and an iPod. He uses the iPod WAY more than his mini. No comparison. I think that it may be due to the portability but for whatever reason that is the case. If you choose to get a Mini or iPod I would suggest maybe going to BestBuy and looking at there open box items. I recently was able to buy two iPod 5's there for $155 each. While they aren't as spec'd out as the phones at that price I am more than happy with the purchase.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    05-08-2015 08:45 AM