Cellular iPod Touch

Would you like a Cellular iPod Touch?

• Total voters

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I personally wouldn't buy it but I voted yes because there are people that need their iPods to be fully functional when not on wifi. My daughter uses her iPod Touch for games because it has more memory than her 5C. When she's not on wifi she freaks out because she can't play Clash or the Clans or something until she gets to wifi.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No. That would make it even closer to being an iPhone, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone want Apple to make an iPod Touch with cellular data? If no, why? If yes, why? :)

I think they should be data only and maybe a apple network like 20 a month not only be for app downloads and web browsing and iTunes Match any movie streaming apps would need wifi .. I would be all over this as I don't talk much on the phone

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If apple wanted to release a cellular data version of the iPod touch, they would have done so already. The only reason they don't is cause it would hurt iPhone sales.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

malih

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Agreed with most of the replies,

I mean imagine iPod touch functionality, and cellular capability = of course an iPhone

Sent using Tapatalk

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
If apple wanted to release a cellular data version of the iPod touch, they would have done so already. The only reason they don't is cause it would hurt iPhone sales.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

In what ways will it hurt sales?

Annon Mousse

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
For those replying "Yes, it is called an iPhone" you completely miss the point. You don't call the iPad Mini or iPad or iPad Air or the coming iPad Pro with Cellular data an iPhone do you?

An iPod Touch with Cellular would look a lot like an iPhone, true, but month-to-month, cheaper. I use Verizon, and to add a phone, is $40/mo. To add an iPad is $10/mo. I have younger kids that don't necessarily need a phone, but it would be nice for them to be able to facetime me now and then or send a text, for less than $40/mo. Sure, I could get them a crappy flip-phone (if I can still find one), but they are already used to the iOS interface.

I could also just get a MiFi or something like that, but that is 2 devices to carry, instead of one.

The iPad Mini is nice, but for a kid, still a bit big.

Perhaps Apple could call it the iPad Micro or iPad Nano.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For those replying "Yes, it is called an iPhone" you completely miss the point. You don't call the iPad Mini or iPad or iPad Air or the coming iPad Pro with Cellular data an iPhone do you?

An iPod Touch with Cellular would look a lot like an iPhone, true, but month-to-month, cheaper. I use Verizon, and to add a phone, is $40/mo. To add an iPad is $10/mo. I have younger kids that don't necessarily need a phone, but it would be nice for them to be able to facetime me now and then or send a text, for less than $40/mo. Sure, I could get them a crappy flip-phone (if I can still find one), but they are already used to the iOS interface.

I could also just get a MiFi or something like that, but that is 2 devices to carry, instead of one.

The iPad Mini is nice, but for a kid, still a bit big.

Perhaps Apple could call it the iPad Micro or iPad Nano.

First of all, the last post prior to yours was posted 19 months ago. Second, if your kids have an iPod Touch or an iPad or even a fairly new Mac, they can easily FaceTime and/or send you an iMessage right now as long as the device is connected to Wi-Fi.

betsycom

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
I agree with the parent wanting a data only iPod touch for their kids. Really small kids do not need and should not have a cell phone. But if apple would make an iPod touch with data only SIM card that connect to my Verizon account, I would buy it in a heart beat.

For myself, I want my iPod touch to be constantly connected to cellular because I have lost it twice already in less than a year, but was not able to do "find my iPod" with the find my iPhone app because I was in a public place (my workplace) with free wifi that would time out after being inactive. Luckily, I had dropped it in my car during lunch and as soon as I got home it dinged with a text message I sent it from my iPad, so I knew it was in the car somewhere as soon as I pulled in the driveway. If it had cellular, I would pay the $10 a month just to have piece of mind in case I misplace it again, I can find it immediately with my iPad.

For the children in my family (who are under 7 years old), I can have them in my contract and they can text or FaceTime family in an emergency AND I can keep track of their devices if they misplace them AND use it as sort of a kiddy LoJack if they wander off but still have their backpacks with their iPods in it.