iPod Touch 4th Generation: New Display Now Wont Power On

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Hello all. I'm looking for some insight on this problem I am having. Sorry for the long post, PLEASE READ...

I purchased a new display assembly for an iPod Touch 4th Gen. I went ahead and replaced it, pressed the power on button and got a white screen. That's expected with this model so I did a Hard Reset and then the white screen went away and the home screen came up. Once checking that the new screen was working as it should I went ahead and tried to secure the screen to the iPod but the ribbon cable was somewhat pinched. I fixed it by making sure the ribbon cable wouldn't get pinched this time so I continued.

The screen turned white again so I tried a Hard Reset again but this time it didn't work. Actually, now the screen doesn't even turn on at all. Found this on the ifixit.com website:

"Double check that the ribbon cable is not pinched between the LCD and the metal plate. Fold it back on itself so that it doesn't get pinched. If the ribbon cable is pinched, you may get a white screen that cannot be fixed because the traces on the ribbon cable have been damaged".

Based on the above if the ribbon cable traces got damaged I should I least get a white screen, but it's just dead. I can understand if the screen got damaged, but I'm concerned that my iPod got screwed up in the process. It's not showing any signs of life whatsoever. I tried connecting the iPod to my computer and it's not being recognized in iTunes. I tried plugging it in to the wall electrical outlet, and nothing. Could the iPod have gotten shorted out?

Any ideas, input, suggestions is much appreciated. Thanks.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Found some info online where it recommended to short one of the battery terminals and this will allow the iPod to turn on again. I guess this is a common problem. It worked, the iPod will now power on and its recognized in iTunes, BUT its go the white screen again. Trying a Hard Reset now won't work like it originally did.

So now the problem is getting rid of the white screen. Tried plugging in to iTunes in Recovery mode but its not doing anything, just the white screen.

Good that the iPod is not screwed up as I feared. Could always just buy a new screen but I don't want to give up.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
It might be a problem with the ribbon cable.

Right now all I have is the white screen. Based on a google search it seems like a common problem. Tried getting the iPod into DFU mode but can't since I have to first power off the device and since all I have is the white screen I can't access the slider to shut off the device.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Right now all I have is the white screen. Based on a google search it seems like a common problem. Tried getting the iPod into DFU mode but can't since I have to first power off the device and since all I have is the white screen I can't access the slider to shut off the device.

You can shut it off by holding both the power and home buttons together until it turns off.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
You can shut it off by holding both the power and home buttons together until it turns off.

I tried this but it seems like it turns off but then turns back on.

While connected to iTunes, Tried holding the power button 3 seconds, then home button 10 seconds while holding power button. Then releasing power button. iTunes is supposed to see it in DFU mode but this doesn't happen.

The iPod belongs to my niece. My brother asked me to fix it for her since she cracked the screen. She has a pass code on it so a message in iTunes pops up asking to enter the pass code on the screen first, but since all I have is a white screen I can't enter the pass code.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I tried this but it seems like it turns off but then turns back on.

While connected to iTunes, Tried holding the power button 3 seconds, then home button 10 seconds while holding power button. Then releasing power button. iTunes is supposed to see it in DFU mode but this doesn't happen.

The iPod belongs to my niece. My brother asked me to fix it for her since she cracked the screen. She has a pass code on it so a message in iTunes pops up asking to enter the pass code on the screen first, but since all I have is a white screen I can't enter the pass code.

This is a tough one. I'm afraid I'm all out of ideas. :( The only thing I can suggest is the Apple Store or try entering it into recovery mode but I doubt that will make a difference. I hope someone comes along to help you out that has more knowledge about this than me. :)

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
This is a tough one. I'm afraid I'm all out of ideas. :( The only thing I can suggest is the Apple Store or try entering it into recovery mode but I doubt that will make a difference. I hope someone comes along to help you out that has more knowledge about this than me. :)

Thanks, I appreciate your help. This thing is driving me nuts.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE: whereas originally I was unable to get the iPod to go into DFU mode, I was finally just able to after trying it time after time.

iPod was restored in iTunes to factory settings and is now recognized. Even though I was able to do all this, I still have the white blank screen. I can see the iPod's home screen thought iTunes on my computer, but not on the actual iPod itself.

Now I'm thinking that the restore was probably not even needed and the problem is the screen itself.

Got so excited for a few thinking this was going to be the fix as recommended through other online sources.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: whereas originally I was unable to get the iPod to go into DFU mode, I was finally just able to after trying it time after time.

iPod was restored in iTunes to factory settings and is now recognized. Even though I was able to do all this, I still have the white blank screen. I can see the iPod's home screen thought iTunes on my computer, but not on the actual iPod itself.

Now I'm thinking that the restore was probably not even needed and the problem is the screen itself.

Got so excited for a few thinking this was going to be the fix as recommended through other online sources.

Has to be from the damaged cable I would buy another screen and try again

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I was just about to post this. I kept trying and even took the screen off and started the install from scratch again. This time I was able to get the home screen but for only about two seconds, then it would fade away into the blank white screen. I also noticed that the LCD had horizontal lines on it. Anyhow, I am getting a new screen. Thanks for the help.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Will do. The seller I originally bought it from has a pretty feedback, so I'm thinking this was just a bad batch.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711