Ipod Classic causes Itunes and computer to freeze

Atticus Sharp

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I have a 160 gb Ipod Classic with 2.04 firmware and I'm using a Windows 8.1 machine. Several months ago I ran my ipod through the wash. Fortunately, it made a complete recovery. After carefully drying it for a week, it was fully functional and had no issues connecting to my computer. However, for the past few days I have tried connecting it to my computer, but it causes itunes to freeze. Also, the ipod is recognized as a hard drive by windows and windows explorer freezes when I try opening or right clicking on the ipod drive. When I unplug the ipod, Itunes instantly unfreezes and shows a screen that says a corrupt ipod has been connected.

I feel like restoring/reformating the ipod will fix the problem, but I can't do that becuase my computer freezes no matter how I try to access the ipod. So far I have tired reseting the ipod, puting the ipod in disk mode, using different ipod cords, putting the ipod into dfu mode, and using different computers. It's just bizzare because the ipod acts completely normally otherwise. It even connects properly to my car stereo and allows me to play music via Alpine's high speed ipod cable. One last thing: I have run the manual ipod diagnostics and nothing seems to be too out of the ordinary. My hard drive smart data is as follows:

Retracts: 22
Reallocs: 8

Pending Sectors: 8
Power on Hours: 48
Start/Stops: 9006

Temp Current: 27C

Temp Min: 65C

Temp max: 245C

The only things that seem strange are the min and max temperatures, since the current temp is lower than the minimum temp and because 245C is rediculously high.

Any ideas on how to proceed would be great, thanks!

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Temp Current: 27C

Temp Min: 65C

Temp max: 245C

The only things that seem strange are the min and max temperatures, since the current temp is lower than the minimum temp and because 245C is rediculously high.

Any ideas on how to proceed would be great, thanks!

Sounds like a corrupt file. I'd say go to the apple store and tell them about that.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

saslim

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
I've been having this problem too - Ipod classic 160gb s/w version 2.0.5 with pc running 64 bit windows vista. (No problems synching my ipad air, itouch and much older 30gb ipod).

I tried various suggestions from several forums without success and in desperation, tried the following:
1. shut down pc
2. Connected ipod classic to usb port
3. Powered up pc
4. Started itunes

and presto, my ipod started synching with itunes !!

After ejecting the ipod, I thn reconnected it in the normal way (ie. with the pc running) .... but itunes froze again as did my pc when I tried to access the ipod via windows. So I repeated the above process .... and thankfully, my ipod synched with itunes again !! Haven't tried doing it a third time ... but hopefully it'll work again. I don't understand why doing this works but I'm not complaining as I can again update the music collection on my ipod !

I hope this will work for you too. Good luck !!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2