Is the iPod (all models) a dying product?

Is the iPod a dying product?

• No

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Most likely not

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't think so. I still use an iPod touch to stream podcasts and xm radio. I also think it's a great first device for kids.

devinp

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I think it might die because everyone can put music on their smartphones... also, more and more parents are buying their kids phones.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Also not everyone wants to work out with their phones. I for one prefer not to. That way I am not interrupted. Also not everyone wants to buy their 8 year old a smartphone.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The iPod Touch will certainly be the defining product for the iPod line, because it runs iOS, and thus ensuring there will always be a market for it.

I believe there still is a market for the stand alone nanos and minis, so there is no issue as to whether these iPods will still be around or not.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
In terms of all iPod models no, but the shuffle and nano and not popular as they use to be. The iPod Classic appeals to people that have large music libraries so I highly doubt apple will kill it off, they will probably increase the storage capacity though. The iPod touch is the one that should be continued but apple hasn't match the internals with the iPhone recently so they might be giving up on it.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

devinp

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Original post by 'acerace113':
"The iPod Classic appeals to people that have large music libraries so I highly doubt apple will kill it off, they will probably increase the storage capacity though."

I think they might kill the Classic off because if they upgrade the iPod Touch to 128GB (and higher) there will probably be less demand for the Classic.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Certain focuses of the iPod are definitely becoming outdated, but the product as a whole I think has plenty of life left in it. From what i understand (and i haven't looked in quite some time), but the iPod Touch was the only competitive product with Nintendo's portable systems when it came to portable gaming. There's also the fact that these products are still, by far, the most attractive large music capacity devices on the market for the money.

I think we'll see some evolution with the iPod, but I think it'll be here for many more years.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I bought my iPod Touch for gaming. Great little device. Camera is very useful too.

I still feel it's niche though. I doubt I'd own one if I had an iPhone. Some of the reasons posted here are good but how many people are buying their 8 year olds 300 dollar iPods?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPod touch. I bought it to have access to all my apps/listen to music when I was using an android phone. Now that I've just bought a 64GB iPhone 5S I'm not sure that I'll use my iPod touch anymore.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I still use a 160GB Classic in my car. As for further updates on the current iPods, I don't think there will be much in the future as far as major updates. They will keep what they have in the store for a few more years but thats about it. The iPod sales are dropping each and every year.

Suwong

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
The Walking Dead haha

Just kidding guys. I think some people wants to have less device. The iPhone can do all the iPod does therefore they would not carry both devices. Just like digital camera is now for a serious photographer, otherwise you can use cell phone to shoot the photo.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I also think it's a great first device for kids.

I agree 100%. I passed down my 2nd Gen iPod Touch to my son a few years back. He then passed it down to my daughter since I gave him my old iPhone 3GS when I upgraded to the 5C.

It's been through a lot. Had to replace the display assembly once already. Better on an iPod touch than on an iPhone though.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
No iPod nano comes in handy camping .. Battery life last along time .. Light weight etc .. I think it just depends on your life style