• On the fence - I can see it both ways

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • What's a ipod?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mrnserv

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I imagine its pretty difficult to run with an iPad clipped to your belt or strapped to your arm...

I like a separate device to hold all my music and I have a dedicated iPod plugged into my car with my entire music library and I just leave it plugged in except when I update it. If I had to carry CD's for all that media it would be one giant CD case! Would be hard to get by with a 16GB iPhone if it had to hold all your music, photos, apps, etc. For me, it would be impossible. I prefer a separate device.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't think so and believe they have their place. i use mine all the time (5th Gen) I love it every time I go Cycling and do my 20 - 30 mile trips around the city or trail. I don't thing they would come up with touch iPods if they had no place.

kona314

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but I don't see it dying completely, at least for a while yet. As mrnserv pointed out, there is a need for small music devices for working out (although an iPhone could probably work), as well as storage capacity issues.

It's also important not to leave out the iPod touch. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple brought the iPod line down to just the iPod touch and nano, both in a variety of storage sizes (likely with the nano being in higher capacities than the touch), to support everyone's needs.

baseballbert

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
It's nice to have the nano for working out because they darn near bullet proof and it wouldn't bother me if it got beat up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure that they'll completely die. Declining maybe...headed for a product line contraction. The touch will probably stick around since it's an iOS device and is a gateway to the rest of that product family. The nano I can see sticking around as well as the inexpensive portable MP3 player. I think the shuffle and classic will eventually be phased out.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
iPod Touch is such a gorgeous device. It just suffers from being a device out of place. I get a lot of use out of mine as it is my only iOS device. I'm to in love with the Samsung Note to switch my phone and tablet to iOS but really, I don't need it at all. My phone might be a monster but it still fits in my pocket and is fine with a BT headset or headphones. I've even used my EarPods with it.

I really like the loop. It is such a small thing but so easily places the device as a digital camera replacement and for someone like me who isn't huge into photography but would still like to point and shoot, it works great. The Note 3 has a terrific camera but it is really to big to easily handle. I brought my Touch with me last time I went to the zoo and I was very happy with it.

I also have it synced to a bluetooth speaker at home so I use it as a stereo. Much better than when I was using my tablet for it as now I can stream music and still have app sounds/music on my Nexus.

$300 is a lot for a backup/casual device though. I'm not saying it is overpriced because it is a great piece of tech but I don't think it is for everybody or even most people at this point.

Shuffle seems like it would be a runner's dream. Small storage is annoying but nonexistent footprint has got to be great. I could see Shuffle staying around longer than the Nano.

TonyHove

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Is the iPod a dying product?

I think the ipod touch and nano will still be around for a long to come as they will still be especially popular amongst non iPhone users who want an iOS device. I agree tho that the shuffle and classic will eventually be phased out..

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I think the iPod will eventually disappear, since most people with smartphones use their smartphones as their MP3 players.

More people will choose iPhones instead, since they do a lot more.

The standalone GPS unit will also disappear, thanks to smartphones.

This won't happen immediately, but it is something we'll see in the next 5-10 years.

freeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it will die out. Evolve yes. The need of a small device capable of music I think it is great. Small enough to keep with you doing physical activities. A phone doesn't have the memory to over run it.

inline1

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Around our house, we still use every iPod ever bought - classics/standards for (1) audiobooks for the kids (2) in the car as a massive music collection holder, then ipod shuffles for runs when I want to cut down completely on weight, and a waterproofed shuffle for swims, as well as an iPod Touch for a grandparent for kindle, music, email web surfing, no mobile phones wanted by them! I'd be disappointed if these form factors were to die out. I wouldn't mind if they changed/upgraded functionality, but a shuffle is just a completely different beast from an iPhone!

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
You walk around an American school and your question will be answered. For the kids who parents can't afforded an iPhone they can afforded a Touch. As for the nano their will always need a extremity portible music player.

simplylaurakb

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I bought an iPod Nano, because I found don't like having my iPhone with me while at the gym. I'm too tempted to check my email, respond to texts, etc. now I just need to get back to going to the gym regularly...LOL!

We have an old (can't run iOS 7) iPod Touch that our kids (ages 5 & 8) play on. We limit their screen time pretty tightly, but we were just talking last night about how it would be nice to have a second Touch. I'm getting a little tired of my 5 year kid playing on my phone! But that'll have to wait...maybe next Christmas?

Laura

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods