I've been wanting an "in" to iOS/OS X for awhile now. I don't really need a phone (I use a Galaxy Note 3) or an MP3 player (I use a Galaxy Note 3) or a tablet (I use a Galaxy Note 3...:P) but iOS does have some apps (games mostly) that are exclusive to the platform that I would enjoy. I can get a pretty good deal on a 32 GB device (sub $300 after taxes w/work discount) and it has been tempting me quite a bit. I don't really see myself switching to iTunes though (I use Amazon MP3 for music, and again my phone is an Android) so if I went for the Touch, it'd be mostly for apps.

Is the Touch worthwhile in that regard or would I be better off looking at an iPad? (I already have a Kindle and N7 so I don't really need a tab, but then I have a Galaxy Note 3 so I don't really need an N7 lol)
    10-23-2013 10:19 AM
    That will depend on you. Both the iPod Touch and the iPad are great for games, but which device will you most likely play on the most? Are you likely to carry the iPad with you more than than the much smaller iPod Touch or vice versa? How is your eyesight? Personally, I'd go with the iPod Touch for portability, size and I can easily fit it in a pocket.
    10-23-2013 10:35 AM
    I might consider an ipad mini- Now that the new one is coming out you could probably get one somewhat cheap- under $300 and that way its in between the touch and not as big as the full size ipad- the touch is kind of small for games
    10-23-2013 11:40 AM
    Hmm, I like the form factor of the Touch in that I could see myself carrying it as a mobile gaming device. I often carry a 3DS in addition to my phone and I don't feel overloaded. I wasn't sure how the hardware was in it though. I don't want to buy it for apps and be stuck with something that is buggy and slow. I had that issue with my old phone and while it was a great device aesthetically, the hardware bogged down the system enough that it wasn't very functional.

Price on the iPad Mini makes me a bit twitchy and I already have a tablet in that form factor. Still, it occurs to me that there might be some good Blitz Day sales on the 1st gen iPad Mini and since I work retail, I'd potentially get first dibs. Are more games optimized for tab vs phone form factor on iOS or is it not as much of a difference? I know w/some of my Android apps they are very awkward to use if they are optimized for one or the other (or they simply don't run...my bank's app doesn't work on my tablet for instance). It'd be a shame to grab the Touch and then be limited in what I can play with it.
    10-23-2013 01:36 PM
    Hmm, I like the form factor of the Touch in that I could see myself carrying it as a mobile gaming device. I often carry a 3DS in addition to my phone and I don't feel overloaded. I wasn't sure how the hardware was in it though. I don't want to buy it for apps and be stuck with something that is buggy and slow. I had that issue with my old phone and while it was a great device aesthetically, the hardware bogged down the system enough that it wasn't very functional.

Price on the iPad Mini makes me a bit twitchy and I already have a tablet in that form factor. Still, it occurs to me that there might be some good Blitz Day sales on the 1st gen iPad Mini and since I work retail, I'd potentially get first dibs. Are more games optimized for tab vs phone form factor on iOS or is it not as much of a difference? I know w/some of my Android apps they are very awkward to use if they are optimized for one or the other (or they simply don't run...my bank's app doesn't work on my tablet for instance). It'd be a shame to grab the Touch and then be limited in what I can play with it.
    The current 5th gen iPod touch has the A5 chip in it if that helps

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) or iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    10-23-2013 06:10 PM
    I think If you don't feel like the iPod touch as too small, a couple of my friends do because they have big hands, then an iPod touch is a good choice for a starting iOS device.

Sent using Tapatalk
    10-24-2013 03:51 PM
    Apps on a current gen iPod touch will pretty much look and handle like they do on an iPhone 5. Of course, it doesn't have the always on data connectivity of a cellular radio, and while the hardware is decent, it is not on par with the iPhone. I've had one iPod touch or another since it launched in 2007. Great companion device to my BlackBerries, and it introduced me to iOS as well. Just becareful, once you get one Apple device, it usually leads to others
    10-24-2013 10:32 PM