Remapped buttons, ipod only works when plugged in

DrGlory

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I received a saturated ipod touch with the deal: you fix it, it's yours.

Wifi, battery, and volume buttons were fine, but the power and sleep buttons are out for good.

I jailbroke to 5.1 by using the DFU loop method and I was able to get activator 1.6.2b to map the power and home functions as volume up and volume down buttons.

It is working but I've noticed that, when plugged in the buttons respond if the ipod screen goes into autolock mode after being inactive for a minute or so.

But if it is on battery power as soon as it goes into autolock mode it will not wake up until plugged back in (and then have to do the whole tethered boot).

I think it has to do with the autolock but I have no idea why the presence or absence of power would affect it.

Any ideas what's happening here?

Thanks!

manzam

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Corroded/Shorted Connection

I have seen a few of these. A possible short is causing the buttons to respond erratically or not at all. Water damaged devices need to be cleaned. There is either corrosion underneath the buttons preventing contact between the metal discs and the flex cable and possibly also the flex cable connection that connects it to the logic board. I have seen both instances, it sounds like yours is shorted out at the logic board connection point. With water exposure, the connection may be corroded and only needs to be cleaned. If the flex cable is shorted at the female connection (not likely), then the cable needs to be replaced. If it is shorted/corroded at the male logic board connection (likely), then it must be cleaned....but the cable has a gold traces, that seem as if they are painted on (Very thin and small) and any short in this area may have "evaporated" a gold trace (there are 4). If a gold trace is gone, then it may not work properly. The fact that it works on occasion indicates that a good cleaning at this point will solve your issues.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro