2011 iPod Touch, no upgrades?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Am I right that the "new" iPod Touch's only upgrade is that it comes in white now? So no A5 chip, more RAM, or any real upgrades?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
That's what I thought. Bummer. Hopefully there will be some sales from third party retailers this holiday season.

CHOBiE

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Quite disappointed at this. Also, instead of lowering the price, we got a price bump here in the Apple Philippine store.

wHoKares

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Apparently Apple thought no one would notice that was the only change implemented in thier touch. News flash for Apple though, the customer is clearly smarter than you think. I bet that many will run and buy it though, just because it is white.

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
The A5 processor wouldn't make a difference in iPod Touch 4G, because it is mostly for 3G and phone calling which features aren't available on iPod. Only problem i have is they didn't boost the Camera. Still at like 1 MP

scientist88

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I think an A5 would make a huge difference! Infinity Blade 2 level graphics? Increased internet speeds? Siri Assistant!? I'm very disappointed in Apple with their treatment (or lack thereof) for the iPod Touch

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I was surprised they didn't at least give the iPod Touch a better camera. My fiance's iPod Touch takes worse pictures than my old GSM Motorola Razr did!

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
The A5 processor wouldn't make a difference in iPod Touch 4G, because it is mostly for 3G and phone calling which features aren't available on iPod. Only problem i have is they didn't boost the Camera. Still at like 1 MP

I would think a dual core A5 processor would help immensely with things like video playback, photo and video editing, games and general snappiness of the iPod Touch. The iPad doesn't make calls and yet the A5 was used in the iPad 2 to great success.

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
No upgrades to the iPod Touch means one of two things: Apple will soon EOL it, or there is a huge upgrade with a re-design on the way in 2012.

I would think the latter is true. If the iPhone 5 is indeed a huge re-design then it makes sense that the iPod Touch would also get some sort of bump in design amd specs. Maybe a 3G antenna, larger display, just more of an "iPad mini" than a traditional iPod. I think the Touch has gotten a bit stale in its looks and could use a refresh. But I gotta say, the current model looks fantastic in white!

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Apple will ever get rid of the iPod Touch. It has a huge market for those that want iOS capabilities but don't want or can't afford the data plans that come along with iPhones. This includes parents buying iOS devices for their children, folks who use their phones for nothing more than calling and want a separate "fun" device, etc.

I expect a full iPod Touch redesign soon enough, but I doubt they'll add a 3G antenna or any mobile network capabilities, as that would bring it too close in spec to the iPhone itself.

Reactions: pipemilo

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm just hoping that with the same style powermat will make a case for it now. I've been dying for a 4th gen case for a year now!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
No upgrades to the iPod Touch means one of two things: Apple will soon EOL it, or there is a huge upgrade with a re-design on the way in 2012.

I would think the latter is true. If the iPhone 5 is indeed a huge re-design then it makes sense that the iPod Touch would also get some sort of bump in design amd specs. Maybe a 3G antenna, larger display, just more of an "iPad mini" than a traditional iPod. I think the Touch has gotten a bit stale in its looks and could use a refresh. But I gotta say, the current model looks fantastic in white!

It's got to be the latter, I don't see why they would end it. I thought the Touch sold the most out of the iPod lineup.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner