I'm planning on buying an iPad2 as soon as I can scrape up the cash (if I don't win one ). I already have an iPod Touch which I use quite heavily. I've got a couple questions about how these will work together and with iTunes.

1) I'm assuming I will be able to just sync them both, and stuff like my calendars, addresses, and data from various apps will be the same on both my iPod and iPad. Is that correct?

2) If I want to keep them in sync without having to physically 'sync' them via iTunes, I'd have to use MobileMe, which would keep some of the stuff in sync via the service. Correct? Also, how reliable as this been for people. I've heard some horror stories that want to keep me just doing it via iTunes (assuming I'm correct on point 1)

3) It sounds like most of my apps would just be on both as well. A few of them might require a separate license, or I may want to buy the separate iPad version of the app. Correct?

4) Is keeping these two devices living together a pretty happy experience, or messy? Should I just plan on getting rid of the Touch? (I think with an iPad, I'd be pretty happy with something like a nano even, just so I could keep my podcasts and music with me for bike rides or train commutes, etc.) I suppose there are a few advantages of having both... just curious of the experience of others. Worth keeping both?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions, but I'm really excited to get an iPad. I just attended another conference today with my MacBook Pro, and hated being tied to back corners of the room so I could participate and take notes all day long. An iPad would be a God-send for this kind of thing!
    Thanks much, -Steve
    03-06-2011 01:10 AM
    Congrats I will be getting one although on March 25 Canada here lol. I have an iPhone and iPad so I can answer your questions.

1. Yes - Whatever you put in the iTunes settings of each

2. Yes - I don't know how easy I just use iTunes since I sync at the very least once a day.

3. Yes - You don't need a different license but some apps do have iPad specific versions which take advantage of the iPad's hardware.

4. Easy as pie I have my iPad, iPhone 4, GF's iPhone 3G all syncing with iTunes no problemo. The are all treated seperately, just don't try to sync with more than one computer.
    SteveW928 likes this.
    03-06-2011 02:38 AM
    Thanks much for confirming all of that. I've been reading enough, that I figured I maybe had it down... but nice to hear from someone really doing it.
    I didn't win one, so I'll be scraping up the cash. I guess I have like 15 more days.
    03-10-2011 05:01 AM
    lol no prob always glad to help. Do you know who won?
    03-10-2011 07:39 AM
    Yesterday - it costs a fortune to equip and list all the hardware and to amplify the signals but it can be done now. But if you are talking about meeting the standard I once had to deal with - it will take a while and it is likely no one will be interested at an ordinary human level. That standard (set 30 years ago was "What can I have to control my electronics that when something goes wrong, I can call an ordinary repair person to fix it?" No computer geek plus techo genius or inhouse programmer - tough standard.
    03-10-2011 07:56 AM
    lol no prob always glad to help. Do you know who won?
    There was a thread announcing it... but I can't recall the name.
    03-12-2011 12:10 AM
    lol well it wasn't me I was just curious.
    03-12-2011 01:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD