hey...this is really bothering me...i know that the iPod touch 3g 32gb has the same if not faster processor than the 3gs which is also getting multitasking but most of the sites i visit say noting about the iPod touch getting iOS 4 at all, however after some more looking i did find a few places that said i would be getting it and for free this time...however they failed to mention anything on multitasking for ipods, even though they clearly have the hardware!
    06-07-2010 04:49 PM
    They already said in April, iPod touch Gen 3 will get all iPhone OS 4 features, and today they announced it will be FREE. So calm your hormones. Lol XD
    06-07-2010 05:09 PM
    They didn't say anything about the iPod touch getting multitasking. It will get OS 4 for free, but no conformation on multitasking. I saw some chart some where that said the iPod touch won't get all of the features, along with the iPhone 3G. Multitasking might be one of those features.
    We'll just have to wait until they confirm it.
    06-07-2010 05:30 PM
    Yes they did say that the 3rd gen iPod touch will get multitasking... The 2nd gen iPod touch probably will not get multitasking.
    06-07-2010 06:59 PM
    They didn't say anything about the iPod touch getting multitasking. It will get OS 4 for free, but no conformation on multitasking. I saw some chart some where that said the iPod touch won't get all of the features, along with the iPhone 3G. Multitasking might be one of those features.
    We'll just have to wait until they confirm it.
    I would assume a serious function like multitasking is a major part of the OS code; why would Apple re-write such a seriously downgraded version of it for iPod Touch? And, the iPod Touch is a PDA (Personal Digital Assistant, for those who never were aware of them back in the day...); not being a communication device, its major purpose in life is working apps. Some of the left-out features could logically include FaceTime.

P.S. IPod Touch gets free upgrade? Woohoo!!
    Last edited by ArGiEs; 06-07-2010 at 11:41 PM. Reason: comment
    06-07-2010 11:35 PM
    If you can see at the Apple Site, they say: "Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking, custom wallpaper and Bluetooth keyboard support are available only with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009)." You can read it at the very botom of the page with information about iOS 4.

If you don't believe me, see: apple.com/ipodtouch/ios4-software-update.html
    06-08-2010 10:07 AM
    If you can see at the Apple Site, they say: "Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking, custom wallpaper and Bluetooth keyboard support are available only with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009)." You can read it at the very botom of the page with information about iOS 4.

Right but that's a quote that is aimed at iPhone users, not iPod touch users.

Trust me, 3rd gen iPod touch users will definitely get multitasking, they said it in April! Seriously!
    06-08-2010 02:04 PM
    If you can see at the Apple Site, they say: "Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking, custom wallpaper and Bluetooth keyboard support are available only with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009)." You can readit at the very botom of the page with information about iOS 4.

thanks to everyone that replied to me! I checked the site at the bottom of this post and it's confirmed that ipt 3g 32 and 64 gb are gonna get multitasking and I supose all second camera and cell phone unrelated fetures....I also hope that the ipt 4g will get the "retina display" and the A4 SOC, but that's another story...once again thanks everyone!

Posted from my iPod Touch 3G 32GB
    06-08-2010 09:17 PM
    I'm pretty sure the second and third generation iPod touch will have multitasking. They excluded the first generation which led me to think that was done because of multitasking. The second generation iPod Touch was actually faster than the 3G so it only makes sense that it would get iOS4.
    06-08-2010 10:22 PM
    I'm pretty sure the second and third generation iPod touch will have multitasking. They excluded the first generation which led me to think that was done because of multitasking. The second generation iPod Touch was actually faster than the 3G so it only makes sense that it would get iOS4.
    The first gen doesn't get the update because it's first gen. Just like the first gen iPhone, it's the same speed as the 3G, but it doesn't get the update because it's old.
    06-08-2010 10:28 PM
    The first gen doesn't get the update because it's first gen. Just like the first gen iPhone, it's the same speed as the 3G, but it doesn't get the update because it's old.
    I don't think it's all about old or new. I think it has to do with how well the OS ran on those devices. I'm sure if the first gen iPod Touch and iPhone 3G had a powerful enough processors , they have would of gotten iOS4.
    06-08-2010 11:20 PM
    I don't think it's all about old or new. I think it has to do with how well the OS ran on those devices. I'm sure if the first gen iPod Touch and iPhone 3G had a powerful enough processors , they have would of gotten iOS4.
    First gen iPhone and iPhone 3G have identical processors. The first gen iPod touch ran faster than both of them, because the iPod touch has more room for RAM.

Apple isn't evil or anything, but they also aren't going to support old devices forever. They can say "hardware limitation" all they want, but it's really that the hardware is old, and they need people to buy a new device. It's been 3 freaking years already since the first iPhone's release. It's not like Apple's support for the first gen iPhone has been short! It's been longer than any other company for any cellphone, ever. By far!
    06-08-2010 11:34 PM
    i agree with jellotime91 completely...apple cant support those devices forever or they wouldnt make any money...and somewhere in the contract when buying an iphone says you get 2 years free upgrades...then rather than pay for them...you dont get any at all i guess...

on the matter of speed and hardware...the ipod touch has always been speed king (except for that 3 month period between the 3gs and the ipt 3g....) but all 1g and 2g devices and the ipt 3g bgb run the same processor (~400 mhz i think) and the same 128 mb ram...with the 3gs and ipt 3g 32 and 64 gb they doubled that to ~800 mhz and 256 mb ram...and the iphone 4 will have the A4 SOC (hopefully 1GHZ and 512 RAM like on the prototype) for buttery smooth multitasking...apple thinks that this is the requirement for smooth multitasking, having used backgrounder on all 2g and 3g devices i can vouch for this...when multitasking on old hardware, the device heats up and is reallly slow so its better not to have it at all...but the iphone 3g not being able to get wallpapers is just bs imo.....

anyway this is just what ive learned from lots of forums and articles all over the internet...
    06-09-2010 06:09 PM
    Here we are, just about a year later. My iPod 3g, version 4.3.4 is humming along quite nicely, even doing multi tasking. The one thing it does not have is a camera. Since the 4g iPod supposedly had a crappy still camera, I am waiting for the next iteration of the iPod touch.

Via iPod touch and Tapatalk.
    07-24-2011 08:39 PM
    Actually, in my opinion, the 4g was well worth the price: beautiful retina display and very zippy processing. Camera not to great, but gets the job done for some basic things where quality isn't a real big concern....
    07-24-2011 08:46 PM
    @ArGiEs -
    My goal is to combine my three units (camera, cell and PDA) into just one. I like to take good photos, better than cell phone shots. I shoot hi-res pix to keep. If and when I share, I can always compress them. So I carry a 10MP Nikon, my Motorola Razr and iPod touch with me at all times. The optimal answer that I have in mind is the T-Mobile GSM iPhone without contract.. Failing that, my Razr plus iPod touch with a good camera. Now I ask you, is that too much to hope for? Waiting for September ...
    07-25-2011 05:00 PM
    Sooner or later the OS will require heavier internals of a phone. Its just the way technology moves. Unless you just don't want any cool upgrades to the OS, so that its compatible with all versions of the phone.

All OS' get fragmented and left behind at some point.

Either way, i have my 3rd gen, 32gb right next to me. I have no problems what so ever multitasking. If you having problems i would either suggest looking for a upgrade or restoring the iPod.
    08-02-2011 11:29 PM
    PointAbout was one of the mobile development shops that had the good sense to show up early to the party. Weve been iPhone developers since 2008, working with clients in the media/entertainment, transportation, and retail verticals, among others. The breadth of our mobile application projects over the last three years means there isnt a lot we havent seen, heard, and/or been asked to do on an iOS device. Dont believe us? Check out some of our iPhone application projects here, and feel free to contact us using the form below to find out how PointAbout can help you or your business harness the power of iOS apps.

PointAbout | iPhone App Developer | iPhone Developer DC
    08-12-2011 01:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD