How to text a picture to an Android user?

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
3c36c6f7069d69ea20b077d18c8fb86d.png

stevex12

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
FFR: Thank you. My iPhone's fourth line on that screen is Cellular. On the Cellular menu screen I do not find a Mobile Data Network entry nor an entry to do a reset. There is a Cellular Data entry, but it is either on or off.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
So this is a random thought and may not have any appeal because it’s more of a workaround than a solution. Have you tried emailing a photo from your phone to your Android friend?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
metllicamilitia: Camera > Formats was set to High Efficiency. I changed it to Most Compatible, snapped a pic and texted that pic to FriendAndroid. It took a minute or two (as is usual) to display the Not Delivered message. Is that a valid test?

Yes, that is a valid test. Based on the other replies in this thread, I would recommend contacting your provider and having them look into it. It seems to be an issue with the carrier at this point and nothing you have the ability to correct yourself.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
FFR: Thank you. My iPhone's fourth line on that screen is Cellular. On the Cellular menu screen I do not find a Mobile Data Network entry nor an entry to do a reset. There is a Cellular Data entry, but it is either on or off.

Can you post a screenshot of what’s in your cellular settings pane?

Also is your iPhone unlocked or carrier locked, that makes a difference.

stevex12

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
The phone is unlocked. I bought it directly from Apple with the understanding that it would work on any of the major cell networks.

IMG_0348.PNG

stevex12

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
Annie_M: I have used email to send pics. And if I must I will keep using it. Except for one Android friend who does not have email configured on his phone.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I will say again that you should contact your carrier as it likely something you are unable to fix on your own. It could very well be an APN configuration that you can’t adjust on your iPhone. The carrier would need to make any of those changes.

stevex12

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
FFR: I posted this earlier but I do not see it now, guess I did something wrong. The iPhone12 is unlocked in that I bought it directly from Apple with no carrier associated with it.

IMG_0348.PNG

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
FFR: I posted this earlier but I do not see it now, guess I did something wrong. The iPhone12 is unlocked in that I bought it directly from Apple with no carrier associated with it.

View attachment 131458

It should be there since you have an unlocked device.

There might be another way to reset the apn settings completely.

Do you have access to another carrier SIM card, either a partner, child, or friends?

You could insert the other carriers SIM card which will reprovision the apn/mms settings and allow you to mms your friend on android once you reinsert your SIM card to your device.

Good luck.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I will say again that you should contact your carrier as it likely something you are unable to fix on your own. It could very well be an APN configuration that you can’t adjust on your iPhone. The carrier would need to make any of those changes.

Poor guy tried but they were of no help.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
It should be there since you have an unlocked device.

There might be another way to reset the apn settings completely.

Do you have access to another carrier SIM card, either a partner, child, or friends?

You could insert the other carriers SIM card which will reprovision the apn/mms settings and allow you to mms your friend on android once you reinsert your SIM card to your device.

Good luck.
That wouldn't work. When he puts the Consumer Cellular SIM again it would automatically grab the settings for that. You need to change them on a SIM by SIM basis with every SIM re-insert. So whatever the one rep said is wrong, the settings are not correct and another tech support rep should be contacted.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
That wouldn't work. When he puts the Consumer Cellular SIM again it would automatically grab the settings for that. You need to change them on a SIM by SIM basis with every SIM re-insert. So whatever the one rep said is wrong, the settings are not correct and another tech support rep should be contacted.

Yes that’s the entire point. It will re-grab the settings for his carrier.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The apn doesn’t reset every time you remove your SIM card only when it switches carriers.
I'm going to have to strongly disagree there since the Access Point Name is a gateway for the carrier so when you remove the Subscriber Identifier Module you lose the connection the carrier and the setting generated by the Subscriber Identifier Module. The phone does not store this, it is stored in the Subscriber Identifier Module. When the phone reads the Subscriber Identifier Module again, it will also read the Access Point Name within to connect to the carrier.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to have to strongly disagree there since the Access Point Name is a gateway for the carrier so when you remove the Subscriber Identifier Module you lose the connection the carrier and the setting generated by the Subscriber Identifier Module. The phone does not store this, it is stored in the Subscriber Identifier Module. When the phone reads the Subscriber Identifier Module again, it will also read the Access Point Name within to connect to the carrier.

giphy.gif

stevex12

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
I mentioned previously that I have poor cell service at my house -- one bar, occasionally two bars. So I use my iPhone with my home wifi when I am home -- home is where most of my cell phone usage occurs.

A bit ago I left my house and went to a place with five bars of cell service. Texted a picture to FriendAndroid and almost instant success. I'm sorry I didn't try that earlier.

So the problem is not carrier related (as I see it) but something to do with wifi. I'm thinking I will go to a McDonald's tomorrow and try texting a picture via their wifi to get a sense of whether the problem is wifi in general or maybe my specific router. That make sense? Other ideas?

Thanks and sorry for chasing the wrong rabbit so long.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I mentioned previously that I have poor cell service at my house -- one bar, occasionally two bars. So I use my iPhone with my home wifi when I am home -- home is where most of my cell phone usage occurs.

A bit ago I left my house and went to a place with five bars of cell service. Texted a picture to FriendAndroid and almost instant success. I'm sorry I didn't try that earlier.

So the problem is not carrier related (as I see it) but something to do with wifi. I'm thinking I will go to a McDonald's tomorrow and try texting a picture via their wifi to get a sense of whether the problem is wifi in general or maybe my specific router. That make sense? Other ideas?

Thanks and sorry for chasing the wrong rabbit so long.
Let's try this: Try disabling Wi-Fi Calling… and then send a picture to your Android friend. If it is something WiFi related, doing this would eliminate that. It could be that your carrier's VoWiFi gateway either can't locate the MMS service or it doesn't support it at all.

That McDonald's test might be another thing to try :)