Should I purchase the next iPhone from Apple or from Verizon?

staceymj86

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
I know we are a few months out from when this year’s iPhones will be released, but I’m trying to put a plan into motion if I should purchase outright from Apple or through Verizon? I will be switching carriers from T-Mobile to Verizon due to my 20% government discount I’ll be getting on my monthly bill (T-Mobile only give a 15% discount). What process do you think will be easier come ordering time? Should I purchase a SIM card now so that I will have an account or wait until ordering goes live? I know I will more than likely by stuck with my XS Max for a few weeks until everything is sorted out and I’m fine with that.

Last edited:

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't matter which you buy it from. At that time, you should see who has the best deal for you. Make sure that your government discount will apply to Verizon's current service plans as some plans don't qualify for the discount. You don't need to purchase a SIM card now.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
We've been purchasing the SIM-free versions directly from Apple, and then inserting the Verizon SIM. The SIM-free version appears to have ability to work on various mobile carrier networks. The page below has an FAQ section that describes more about "SIM-free". Purchasing directly from Apple, in my experience, makes it easier to buy Apple Care at the same time. That way phone is covered upon receiving it.

We also have a discount through my work, and buying the SIM free versions from Apple have not changed that. You can also get a screen protector installed at the Apple store, with the purpose built applicator device. Have to purchase the protector, but with the device it is put on perfectly.

What does “SIM-free” mean?

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...Fshop%2Fbuy-iphone%2Fiphone-11&token=UVt4gxmV

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I say check if your government discount will get you better than the 3% discount buying outright from Apple if you want to buy directly from Verizon.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have used about every carrier since the early cell phone days and I have been on T Mobile the last 10 years and I am happy with the service I get.

We get two lines unlimited data, text anywhere in North America for 60 bucks a month including taxes and to me, it’s a bargain.

I always tell folks to test the waters and try a couple of different carriers and use the one you feel most comfortable with.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
See what deals you can get with Verizon, since you're a new customer.
I've done it both ways. It depends on my situation and if deals come into play. I'll be buying from Verizon this fall, mostly for the Verizon Up Rewards. I have $85 device dollars to use, and will likely have more before I buy.

jr866gooner

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
We've been purchasing the SIM-free versions directly from Apple, and then inserting the Verizon SIM. The SIM-free version appears to have ability to work on various mobile carrier networks. The page below has an FAQ section that describes more about "SIM-free". Purchasing directly from Apple, in my experience, makes it easier to buy Apple Care at the same time. That way phone is covered upon receiving it.

We also have a discount through my work, and buying the SIM free versions from Apple have not changed that. You can also get a screen protector installed at the Apple store, with the purpose built applicator device. Have to purchase the protector, but with the device it is put on perfectly.

What does “SIM-free” mean?

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...Fshop%2Fbuy-iphone%2Fiphone-11&token=1fI7UPF5
In the UK sim free to us is buying the device without a sim card or any form of attachment to a phone carrier to. You are then able to put in any sim card you wish from the start.

staceymj86

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
See what deals you can get with Verizon, since you're a new customer.
I've done it both ways. It depends on my situation and if deals come into play. I'll be buying from Verizon this fall, mostly for the Verizon Up Rewards. I have $85 device dollars to use, and will likely have more before I buy.

The only reason why I want to switch to Verizon is T-Mobile has been spotty where I live for a while. My fiancé has had no issues with his Verizon iPhone and we get a 20% discount on accessories and on our monthly bill vs T-Mobile’s 15% for my monthly bill. I plan to keep my daughter on T-Mobile so we can continue to take advantage of T-Mobile Tuesday’s for gas and other freebies.

staceymj86

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
I have used about every carrier since the early cell phone days and I have been on T Mobile the last 10 years and I am happy with the service I get.

We get two lines unlimited data, text anywhere in North America for 60 bucks a month including taxes and to me, it’s a bargain.

I always tell folks to test the waters and try a couple of different carriers and use the one you feel most comfortable with.

Over the course of 15 years I’ve only used Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint/Nextel. T-Mobile and Verizon were the best I used. I have the Simple Choice plan with my XS Max and it’s cheaper than the other plans on T-Mobile. I was in Mexico at the beginning of the year and had 0 service even though my plan includes it.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Over the course of 15 years I’ve only used Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint/Nextel. T-Mobile and Verizon were the best I used. I have the Simple Choice plan with my XS Max and it’s cheaper than the other plans on T-Mobile. I was in Mexico at the beginning of the year and had 0 service even though my plan includes it.

That’s why I have stuck with T Mobile all those years, when I was traveling for business, it worked in the US, Canada, Mexico, Europe and South America with zero issues.

staceymj86

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
That’s why I have stuck with T Mobile all those years, when I was traveling for business, it worked in the US, Canada, Mexico, Europe and South America with zero issues.

I wish it would’ve worked for me when I was there for 2 days. I had 0 service on the cruise as well due to not buying a internet package. I know next time to buy one and check with my provider to make sure I’ll have coverage in Mexico. T-Mobile assured me I do with my Simple Choice plan, but nope I had to buy a drink to get access to their WiFi to call back home.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711