I know we are a few months out from when this year’s iPhones will be released, but I’m trying to put a plan into motion if I should purchase outright from Apple or through Verizon? I will be switching carriers from T-Mobile to Verizon due to my 20% government discount I’ll be getting on my monthly bill (T-Mobile only give a 15% discount). What process do you think will be easier come ordering time? Should I purchase a SIM card now so that I will have an account or wait until ordering goes live? I know I will more than likely by stuck with my XS Max for a few weeks until everything is sorted out and I’m fine with that.
    Last edited by staceymj86; 07-04-2020 at 02:26 PM.
    07-04-2020 12:49 PM
    It doesn't matter which you buy it from. At that time, you should see who has the best deal for you. Make sure that your government discount will apply to Verizon's current service plans as some plans don't qualify for the discount. You don't need to purchase a SIM card now.
    Annie_M, aximtreo and scruffypig like this.
    07-04-2020 02:25 PM
    We've been purchasing the SIM-free versions directly from Apple, and then inserting the Verizon SIM. The SIM-free version appears to have ability to work on various mobile carrier networks. The page below has an FAQ section that describes more about "SIM-free". Purchasing directly from Apple, in my experience, makes it easier to buy Apple Care at the same time. That way phone is covered upon receiving it.

We also have a discount through my work, and buying the SIM free versions from Apple have not changed that. You can also get a screen protector installed at the Apple store, with the purpose built applicator device. Have to purchase the protector, but with the device it is put on perfectly.

What does “SIM-free” mean?

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=http...token=8-jztdxB
    07-05-2020 07:40 AM
    I would wait and see what deals your carrier offers.
    07-05-2020 10:55 AM
    ....due to my 20% government discount .....
    Does that discount also apply to purchasing a device via VZW? Check with Apple as they do offer employee discounts. May not be much but anything is better than nothing.
    07-05-2020 11:57 AM
    I say check if your government discount will get you better than the 3% discount buying outright from Apple if you want to buy directly from Verizon.
    07-05-2020 01:44 PM
    Does that discount also apply to purchasing a device via VZW? Check with Apple as they do offer employee discounts. May not be much but anything is better than nothing.
    Just for accessories and my monthly plan.
    07-05-2020 02:15 PM
    I have used about every carrier since the early cell phone days and I have been on T Mobile the last 10 years and I am happy with the service I get.

We get two lines unlimited data, text anywhere in North America for 60 bucks a month including taxes and to me, it’s a bargain.

I always tell folks to test the waters and try a couple of different carriers and use the one you feel most comfortable with.
    07-05-2020 05:28 PM
    See what deals you can get with Verizon, since you're a new customer.
    I've done it both ways. It depends on my situation and if deals come into play. I'll be buying from Verizon this fall, mostly for the Verizon Up Rewards. I have $85 device dollars to use, and will likely have more before I buy.
    07-05-2020 05:40 PM
    We've been purchasing the SIM-free versions directly from Apple, and then inserting the Verizon SIM. The SIM-free version appears to have ability to work on various mobile carrier networks. The page below has an FAQ section that describes more about "SIM-free". Purchasing directly from Apple, in my experience, makes it easier to buy Apple Care at the same time. That way phone is covered upon receiving it.

We also have a discount through my work, and buying the SIM free versions from Apple have not changed that. You can also get a screen protector installed at the Apple store, with the purpose built applicator device. Have to purchase the protector, but with the device it is put on perfectly.

What does “SIM-free” mean?

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=http...token=9RGUs2z4
    In the UK sim free to us is buying the device without a sim card or any form of attachment to a phone carrier to. You are then able to put in any sim card you wish from the start.
    Trees likes this.
    07-05-2020 06:10 PM
    See what deals you can get with Verizon, since you're a new customer.
    I've done it both ways. It depends on my situation and if deals come into play. I'll be buying from Verizon this fall, mostly for the Verizon Up Rewards. I have $85 device dollars to use, and will likely have more before I buy.
    The only reason why I want to switch to Verizon is T-Mobile has been spotty where I live for a while. My fiancé has had no issues with his Verizon iPhone and we get a 20% discount on accessories and on our monthly bill vs T-Mobile’s 15% for my monthly bill. I plan to keep my daughter on T-Mobile so we can continue to take advantage of T-Mobile Tuesday’s for gas and other freebies.
    07-05-2020 07:54 PM
    In the UK sim free to us is buying the device without a sim card or any form of attachment to a phone carrier to. You are then able to put in any sim card you wish from the start.
    That’s what the Sim free model is here in the US.
    07-05-2020 07:54 PM
    I have used about every carrier since the early cell phone days and I have been on T Mobile the last 10 years and I am happy with the service I get.

We get two lines unlimited data, text anywhere in North America for 60 bucks a month including taxes and to me, it’s a bargain.

I always tell folks to test the waters and try a couple of different carriers and use the one you feel most comfortable with.
    Over the course of 15 years I’ve only used Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint/Nextel. T-Mobile and Verizon were the best I used. I have the Simple Choice plan with my XS Max and it’s cheaper than the other plans on T-Mobile. I was in Mexico at the beginning of the year and had 0 service even though my plan includes it.
    07-05-2020 07:57 PM
    Over the course of 15 years I’ve only used Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint/Nextel. T-Mobile and Verizon were the best I used. I have the Simple Choice plan with my XS Max and it’s cheaper than the other plans on T-Mobile. I was in Mexico at the beginning of the year and had 0 service even though my plan includes it.
    That’s why I have stuck with T Mobile all those years, when I was traveling for business, it worked in the US, Canada, Mexico, Europe and South America with zero issues.
    07-06-2020 05:00 AM
    That’s why I have stuck with T Mobile all those years, when I was traveling for business, it worked in the US, Canada, Mexico, Europe and South America with zero issues.
    I wish it would’ve worked for me when I was there for 2 days. I had 0 service on the cruise as well due to not buying a internet package. I know next time to buy one and check with my provider to make sure I’ll have coverage in Mexico. T-Mobile assured me I do with my Simple Choice plan, but nope I had to buy a drink to get access to their WiFi to call back home.
    07-06-2020 06:12 AM