Hey everyone, I've had a variety of iOS and Android phones in the past few years and recently I've settled on the Google pixel. I've been so happy with it for the past 8 months but recently I've started to miss iOS again, specifically iMessage. Leaving my last iPhone I left so many group chats because 95% of my friends all use iPhones. Just wondering if anyone has recently made the switch and has regrets or no regrets, if probably try to trade my Pixel for an iPhone 6s or 7.
    11-29-2019 04:31 AM
    Here the ecosystem means the Apple mobile and desktop and the worth it comes from the continuity and hand off features. For me Apple Watch is part of the mobile. For phones only it's generally always easier and better when it comes to post-sale repair and replacement over other platforms in our enterprise.

I have superb support with other enterprise vendors but they don't all make phones.
    11-29-2019 08:37 AM
    3178169[/URL]]Hey everyone, I've had a variety of iOS and Android phones in the past few years and recently I've settled on the Google pixel. I've been so happy with it for the past 8 months but recently I've started to miss iOS again, specifically iMessage. Leaving my last iPhone I left so many group chats because 95% of my friends all use iPhones. Just wondering if anyone has recently made the switch and has regrets or no regrets, if probably try to trade my Pixel for an iPhone 6s or 7.
    Is the Apple ecosystem worth it? It is to me. It’s been years since I’ve used any other smartphone aside from the iPhone so I don’t fall in the category of those “recently making the switch”.

With that being said, if you’re considering returning to iOS and specifically, iMessage, then go ahead and do it.
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 11-29-2019 at 04:57 PM.
    joemd60 likes this.
    11-29-2019 08:47 AM
    I use both but mostly iOS because of the ecosystem and what it provides.
    I occasionally use Android just for something different to play around with.
    calebt likes this.
    11-29-2019 09:01 AM
    What specific features are you looking for in the Apple ecosystem? That might be the place you want to start. Then see what system has the features you’re looking for.

I switched from Android to Apple about 3 years ago and I was Android from day 1. What I like about Apple is the handoff between devices, iCloud and support. I did do some research before I made the switch on what I would have to do differently with Apple that I did with Android. Three years later I’m all in and can’t see going back to Android.........unless Apple’s prices keep going up.
    joemd60 and Mars20 like this.
    11-29-2019 09:19 AM
    Upfront clarification: I'm everything Apple (phone, Mac, tablet), but mainly because I think the products are good/best (I'm not so sure about the phone, as there are great Android phones out there. I'm sure about the Mac (unless you're a heavy gamer), and the iPad which are superior to other hardware and platforms imho.

I do enjoy some of the benefits of the ecosystem. However, if you are ready to spend a little effort to figure out how, basically everything that makes the Apple ecosystem could be replaced by other products & features. Examples (and there is more in each category): documents/photos sharing and all platform access with OneDrive. All platform notes access & sync: Evernote. URL sync to all platforms with Firefox. Contacts/calendar/tasks/reminders on all platforms: Google. Office apps: available everywhere. Password management & insertion: LastPass. Etc.

There are only two (minor?) features that I would miss when leaving Apple, which to my knowledge cannot be replaced by something else:

automated takeover and insertion of PIN codes on the Mac, that arrived on the phone (convenient, but I could live without it) and
    twitter timeline sync between devices on certain clients (as heavy Twitter reader, this would drive me mad, and would limit my Twitter access to one device only).

So as long as Apple's products remain smooth to operate, stable, easy to use, beautifully designed and affordable (!), I will continue using them. But I could relatively easy switch back to eg Android/Windows if needed - although I have to admit that I always try to avoid Apples lock-in-attempts, in order to keep that option open.
    11-29-2019 04:29 PM
    Hey everyone, I've had a variety of iOS and Android phones in the past few years and recently I've settled on the Google pixel. I've been so happy with it for the past 8 months but recently I've started to miss iOS again, specifically iMessage. Leaving my last iPhone I left so many group chats because 95% of my friends all use iPhones. Just wondering if anyone has recently made the switch and has regrets or no regrets, if probably try to trade my Pixel for an iPhone 6s or 7.
    It works for me, been using the iPhone iPad and MBA for years. And use them all daily.
    joemd60 likes this.
    11-29-2019 07:23 PM
    I use both but mostly iOS because of the ecosystem and what it provides.
    I occasionally use Android just for something different to play around with.
    That’s me also. I do like the google assistant on the pixel.
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-29-2019 07:41 PM
    I think it’s personal preference like the answer for most questions here. I personally use all Apple products. The only switch I could ever see making is possibly ditching my iPad Pro and MacBook Pro for a Surface Pro.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    11-29-2019 07:53 PM
    Totally. I tried unsuccessfully to break out of the ecosystem when I got the note 10+, galaxy buds, galaxy buds and google home hub. I lasted a week. Everything just works so seamlessly. I have my iPhone, 2 iPads, Apple Watch, MacBook, Apple TV and AirPods and they all work perfectly together.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    12-05-2019 06:10 AM
    It depends on. Two months ago I ditched my iPhone X for a brand new Note10+ in a test basis and... Didn't come back.

But, it's necessary to make some clarifications. I have all Apple ecosystem (iPhone X, iPad Pro 1st gen, Apple Watch 4, MacBook 2015, AirPods, Magic Mouse, only not Apple TV) and, though all works flawlessly together, I could manage to replace them with my Note10+ in a way I didn't think I would.

iPhone was ditched as smartphone, as start point.

Then, I began to use DEX at work and at home (my computer use was always mainly for Office, email, internet and so on, very light even at work), which made me abandon the MacBook.

Then, I realized the Note screen is pretty good for light content consumption, so my iPad use dropped considerably (still uses it, though, only not as much as I used to).

I bought a Chromecast, and my Note turned to be my main TV (no cable subscriptions, here, only YT, series and sports, all online). I didn't have this use with my iPhone, as I always thought of Apple TV as an overpriced device.

AirPods works flawlessly with it. Magic mouse do it perfectly with DEX. Apple Watch is, still, the best smartwatch out there by far, so I keep it synchronized with my old iPhone, which I maintain on my desk at home, and connect it to my Note via 4G and Personal Router feature. Works seamlessly.

I really miss iMessage. No substitute here, as my wife still holds her beloved iPhone SE.

But, by making the exchange, I gained extra battery life, better camera and the unique S Pen, which I use several times during all the day since I'm Professor and researcher, so to be able to make notes everywhere and every time is mandatory to me (actually I used to carry with me a little-portable-analogical-notebook and a BIC pen to do this... always).

So, that's all a matter of needs and targets. For me, the change was a big success, even in ecosystem terms. But that's me, and only me.
    12-05-2019 09:41 PM
    Yes! To me, it’s worth 100% it. I have a cousin who just came back to an iPhone after several years predominantly because of iMessage. She’s not technically savvy so there’s been a bit of a learning curve but she’s happy.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    12-06-2019 08:26 AM
    For me YES, it's 100% worth it in my opinion. With as many Apple Products that I currently have/own it better be...LOL
    DarkKnight08 likes this.
    12-06-2019 08:45 AM
    Luv my Apple TV more and more each day. It is way more than just a streaming stick. Games, Apps, etc. so much.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    12-06-2019 01:48 PM
    If you can afford it, the ecosystem is completely worth it.
    Last edited by FFR; 12-10-2019 at 05:20 PM.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    12-06-2019 02:08 PM
    The Apple ecosystem, along with the sheer quality of its devices, keeps me loyal.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    12-06-2019 02:47 PM
    For six months or so, I have been using my Note 10+.
    And, last week, I switched to an iPhone 11 Pro Max. To add, that was mainly due to me missing the ecosystem between my iPad, Apple Watch and iPhone.

So, to answer the initial question, yes, the ecosystem is worth it; in my opinion...
    Just_Me_D and Spencerdl like this.
    12-06-2019 09:15 PM
    I do switch between IOS and Android when I use my Blackberry Key2 device and I have the same apps in the google store as I do in the Apple app store.

Being I am a gmail user, switching between the two platforms is seamless because my contacts, email and calendar sync up without any major issues.

The one thing I do miss while using Android is the integration between my Apple desktop and my phone. But, I will always have a loyalty to the Blackberry folks, so it’s something I have learned to deal with.

As far as the old Android versus Apple argument, I will continue to say that Apple does work best for me and I will continue to be loyal to the brand as I have since our company converted to Mac OS in 2008.

I do find it fun being an ambassador on both the CB and iMore sites and will continue to do my best to represent both sites and the great folks on the forums.
    ivanwi11iams likes this.
    12-10-2019 05:11 PM
    I agree with this post. The thing that keeps me active on iOS, is the seamless integration between iOS devices (my iPad, Apple Watch and iPhone).
    Not to mention, the use of iMessage for international chatting. Save me the cost of international text messages.

PS: I still miss my Note 10+

I do switch between IOS and Android when I use my Blackberry Key2 device and I have the same apps in the google store as I do in the Apple app store.

Being I am a gmail user, switching between the two platforms is seamless because my contacts, email and calendar sync up without any major issues.

The one thing I do miss while using Android is the integration between my Apple desktop and my phone. But, I will always have a loyalty to the Blackberry folks, so it’s something I have learned to deal with.

As far as the old Android versus Apple argument, I will continue to say that Apple does work best for me and I will continue to be loyal to the brand as I have since our company converted to Mac OS in 2008.

I do find it fun being an ambassador on both the CB and iMore sites and will continue to do my best to represent both sites and the great folks on the forums.
    Yesterday 06:42 PM