Is the ecosystem worth it?

laxutraly

Nov 29, 2019
Visit site
Hey everyone, I've had a variety of iOS and Android phones in the past few years and recently I've settled on the Google pixel. I've been so happy with it for the past 8 months but recently I've started to miss iOS again, specifically iMessage. Leaving my last iPhone I left so many group chats because 95% of my friends all use iPhones. Just wondering if anyone has recently made the switch and has regrets or no regrets, if probably try to trade my Pixel for an iPhone 6s or 7.

----------------------------
dich vu giúp việc - giúp việc nhà - giup viec nha - giúp việc nhà buổi tối tại tphcm hcm giúp việc theo giờ ở quận 2

Last edited:

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Here the ecosystem means the Apple mobile and desktop and the worth it comes from the continuity and hand off features. For me Apple Watch is part of the mobile. For phones only it's generally always easier and better when it comes to post-sale repair and replacement over other platforms in our enterprise.

I have superb support with other enterprise vendors but they don't all make phones.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
laxutraly;[URL="tel:3178169" said:
3178169[/URL]]Hey everyone, I've had a variety of iOS and Android phones in the past few years and recently I've settled on the Google pixel. I've been so happy with it for the past 8 months but recently I've started to miss iOS again, specifically iMessage. Leaving my last iPhone I left so many group chats because 95% of my friends all use iPhones. Just wondering if anyone has recently made the switch and has regrets or no regrets, if probably try to trade my Pixel for an iPhone 6s or 7.

Is the Apple ecosystem worth it? It is to me. It’s been years since I’ve used any other smartphone aside from the iPhone so I don’t fall in the category of those “recently making the switch”.

With that being said, if you’re considering returning to iOS and specifically, iMessage, then go ahead and do it.

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I use both but mostly iOS because of the ecosystem and what it provides.
I occasionally use Android just for something different to play around with.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
What specific features are you looking for in the Apple ecosystem? That might be the place you want to start. Then see what system has the features you’re looking for.

I switched from Android to Apple about 3 years ago and I was Android from day 1. What I like about Apple is the handoff between devices, iCloud and support. I did do some research before I made the switch on what I would have to do differently with Apple that I did with Android. Three years later I’m all in and can’t see going back to Android.........unless Apple’s prices keep going up.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Upfront clarification: I'm everything Apple (phone, Mac, tablet), but mainly because I think the products are good/best (I'm not so sure about the phone, as there are great Android phones out there. I'm sure about the Mac (unless you're a heavy gamer), and the iPad which are superior to other hardware and platforms imho.

I do enjoy some of the benefits of the ecosystem. However, if you are ready to spend a little effort to figure out how, basically everything that makes the Apple ecosystem could be replaced by other products & features. Examples (and there is more in each category): documents/photos sharing and all platform access with OneDrive. All platform notes access & sync: Evernote. URL sync to all platforms with Firefox. Contacts/calendar/tasks/reminders on all platforms: Google. Office apps: available everywhere. Password management & insertion: LastPass. Etc.

There are only two (minor?) features that I would miss when leaving Apple, which to my knowledge cannot be replaced by something else:

automated takeover and insertion of PIN codes on the Mac, that arrived on the phone (convenient, but I could live without it) and
twitter timeline sync between devices on certain clients (as heavy Twitter reader, this would drive me mad, and would limit my Twitter access to one device only).

So as long as Apple's products remain smooth to operate, stable, easy to use, beautifully designed and affordable (!), I will continue using them. But I could relatively easy switch back to eg Android/Windows if needed - although I have to admit that I always try to avoid Apples lock-in-attempts, in order to keep that option open.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone, I've had a variety of iOS and Android phones in the past few years and recently I've settled on the Google pixel. I've been so happy with it for the past 8 months but recently I've started to miss iOS again, specifically iMessage. Leaving my last iPhone I left so many group chats because 95% of my friends all use iPhones. Just wondering if anyone has recently made the switch and has regrets or no regrets, if probably try to trade my Pixel for an iPhone 6s or 7.

It works for me, been using the iPhone iPad and MBA for years. And use them all daily.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
I think it’s personal preference like the answer for most questions here. I personally use all Apple products. The only switch I could ever see making is possibly ditching my iPad Pro and MacBook Pro for a Surface Pro.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Totally. I tried unsuccessfully to break out of the ecosystem when I got the note 10+, galaxy buds, galaxy buds and google home hub. I lasted a week. Everything just works so seamlessly. I have my iPhone, 2 iPads, Apple Watch, MacBook, Apple TV and AirPods and they all work perfectly together.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
It depends on. Two months ago I ditched my iPhone X for a brand new Note10+ in a test basis and... Didn't come back.

But, it's necessary to make some clarifications. I have all Apple ecosystem (iPhone X, iPad Pro 1st gen, Apple Watch 4, MacBook 2015, AirPods, Magic Mouse, only not Apple TV) and, though all works flawlessly together, I could manage to replace them with my Note10+ in a way I didn't think I would.

iPhone was ditched as smartphone, as start point.

Then, I began to use DEX at work and at home (my computer use was always mainly for Office, email, internet and so on, very light even at work), which made me abandon the MacBook.

Then, I realized the Note screen is pretty good for light content consumption, so my iPad use dropped considerably (still uses it, though, only not as much as I used to).

I bought a Chromecast, and my Note turned to be my main TV (no cable subscriptions, here, only YT, series and sports, all online). I didn't have this use with my iPhone, as I always thought of Apple TV as an overpriced device.

AirPods works flawlessly with it. Magic mouse do it perfectly with DEX. Apple Watch is, still, the best smartwatch out there by far, so I keep it synchronized with my old iPhone, which I maintain on my desk at home, and connect it to my Note via 4G and Personal Router feature. Works seamlessly.

I really miss iMessage. No substitute here, as my wife still holds her beloved iPhone SE.

But, by making the exchange, I gained extra battery life, better camera and the unique S Pen, which I use several times during all the day since I'm Professor and researcher, so to be able to make notes everywhere and every time is mandatory to me (actually I used to carry with me a little-portable-analogical-notebook and a BIC pen to do this... always).

So, that's all a matter of needs and targets. For me, the change was a big success, even in ecosystem terms. But that's me, and only me.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Yes! To me, it’s worth 100% it. I have a cousin who just came back to an iPhone after several years predominantly because of iMessage. She’s not technically savvy so there’s been a bit of a learning curve but she’s happy.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
For me YES, it's 100% worth it in my opinion. With as many Apple Products that I currently have/own it better be...LOL

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I do switch between IOS and Android when I use my Blackberry Key2 device and I have the same apps in the google store as I do in the Apple app store.

Being I am a gmail user, switching between the two platforms is seamless because my contacts, email and calendar sync up without any major issues.

The one thing I do miss while using Android is the integration between my Apple desktop and my phone. But, I will always have a loyalty to the Blackberry folks, so it’s something I have learned to deal with.

As far as the old Android versus Apple argument, I will continue to say that Apple does work best for me and I will continue to be loyal to the brand as I have since our company converted to Mac OS in 2008.

I do find it fun being an ambassador on both the CB and iMore sites and will continue to do my best to represent both sites and the great folks on the forums.

torbach1

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
I’ve switched back and forth after being an Android fan for a long time. Today I use an iPhone 11 Pro Max. I am in the ecosystem since my primary laptop is a 2018 MBP, I now have an iPad Air that I use both as a tablet and as a 2nd screen with MacOS Catalina’s Sidecar feature, and I have an Apple Watch 5.

I am happy, but I don’t think I can ever be completely happy with either, because each ecosystem has issues.

Things I love about the iPhone (things that drive me crazy about it are below this section):
1. iMessage is amazing and the add ons to it are really nice too. For e.g. I play games through iMessage using Gamepigeon.
2. Swipe down to search for apps/see most common apps is very intuitive. It learns what apps you use at what times. So for example, every morning I drive either to the office or to the subway station using Waze. When I swipe down in the morning, Waze is the first app in the list. Every night, I read to my daughter on the Kindle app. At night when I swipe down, Kindle is the first app. Around lunch, I have a Peet’s coffee. Around that time, Peet’s is the first app and so on.
3. Apple Watch - simply no comparison in terms of feature function with either WearOS or Samsung (I have both and have used both extensively with Android phones including the Note 10+ and S10+ with the Galaxy Watch).
4. Airdrop. This is so effective and easy in transferring large files or photos to friends with iPhones. It’s fantastic. Same with Airplay. Almost every TV and monitor works with it OOTB. Forget having to take a Chromecast with me when I travel. I just AirPlay to the hotel room TV.
5. Native, high quality Bluetooth support for so many devices. Volume of iPhone sales simply dictates that pretty much every car manufacturer and BT audio manufacturer tests extensively with the iPhones, and it shows. The Bose QC35 is better quality with an iPhone than any Android I’ve tried it with. Every car I’ve ever tried to connect to including many rentals just work (same can’t be said to the Pixel or Samsung phones).
6. If you get the AirPods, nothing compares to that experience, not the Samsung buds or any other headset. Not that they or the AirPod Pros are the best sound quality, but they work so well in conjunction with the iPhone, and the voice quality in calls is better than anything else out there (I tried almost al $150-$250 wireless in ear headsets on the market).
7. If you have an MBP, the ecosystem connection is just amazingly good and seamless. It’s better than Dex unless you literally are replacing your desktop.

Things that still drive me crazy on the iPhone and may annoy you too depending on your usage profile:
1. The Swipe on the keyboard is practically unusable and doesn’t even begin to compare to GBoard or other Android keyboards, while using GBoard on the iPhone is a very mixed experience because Apple insists in reverting back to their keyboard for most system settings or passwords, etc. removing the Apple keyboard altogether leaves you with scenarios where you literally have no keyboard option but need to type something.
2. The file system is still a complete mess even with iOS13. If I receive a pdf I need to sign for example, unless I use the default Apple mail program, it’s a huge mission to save from DocuSign go somewhere I can access from Outlook.
3. iOS 13 so far has been almost as buggy as iOS 11. iOS 12 was great, but Apple really needs to do more QA. I routinely have apps crash, system memory issues like apps closing in the background after only a few seconds, and there are some apps that refuse to run in the background even with background app refresh on (e.g. Zoom and GTM conferencing). This is not a problem in Android ever.
4. The ancient app desktop that still insists on aligning all apps to the top of the screen making it very difficult to reach the top 1 or 2 rows of apps without 2 hands.
5. Siri sucks. Google Assistant is so much better, there simply isn’t a comparison. While Ok Google is available from iOS, it’s not a simple thing to launch like it is in Android.
5. Removal of 3D Touch took away quick ways of accessing things and made them slow.
6. This notion that the apps are so much better is overblown. Some are better. Most are the same. Stability wise they’re not that stable on iOS 13 anyway.
7. Signal strength is not as good as most Android phones (this one drives me nuts), even on the new 11 Pro Max. My current backup Android is the $370 on sale Pixel 3A XL. It has a better, stronger signal everywhere I go with both being on T-Mobile.

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
It depends on. Two months ago I ditched my iPhone X for a brand new Note10+ in a test basis and... Didn't come back.

But, it's necessary to make some clarifications. I have all Apple ecosystem (iPhone X, iPad Pro 1st gen, Apple Watch 4, MacBook 2015, AirPods, Magic Mouse, only not Apple TV) and, though all works flawlessly together, I could manage to replace them with my Note10+ in a way I didn't think I would.

iPhone was ditched as smartphone, as start point.

Then, I began to use DEX at work and at home (my computer use was always mainly for Office, email, internet and so on, very light even at work), which made me abandon the MacBook.

Then, I realized the Note screen is pretty good for light content consumption, so my iPad use dropped considerably (still uses it, though, only not as much as I used to).

I bought a Chromecast, and my Note turned to be my main TV (no cable subscriptions, here, only YT, series and sports, all online). I didn't have this use with my iPhone, as I always thought of Apple TV as an overpriced device.

AirPods works flawlessly with it. Magic mouse do it perfectly with DEX. Apple Watch is, still, the best smartwatch out there by far, so I keep it synchronized with my old iPhone, which I maintain on my desk at home, and connect it to my Note via 4G and Personal Router feature. Works seamlessly.

I really miss iMessage. No substitute here, as my wife still holds her beloved iPhone SE.

But, by making the exchange, I gained extra battery life, better camera and the unique S Pen, which I use several times during all the day since I'm Professor and researcher, so to be able to make notes everywhere and every time is mandatory to me (actually I used to carry with me a little-portable-analogical-notebook and a BIC pen to do this... always).

So, that's all a matter of needs and targets. For me, the change was a big success, even in ecosystem terms. But that's me, and only me.

Excellent post. For the life of me, I could never understand how someone can be tied into an ecosystem. I use both and am not tied into anything. If I were to be tied into any one Ecosystem, that would have to be Amazon and Amazon devices, but that's a whole different story.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2