Trade In Phone or Selling It Yourself?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
A lot of folks are talking about the trade in amounts from Apple making the 11 even more enticing. Just wanted to speak a bit to my experience...

I was originally going to give my back to Apple for $400 and use that towards a new phone. But then I decided to feel Craigslist out a bit. Glad I did because I got $550 for my X 256GB. Of course, selling prices depend on the condition and what people around you are willing to pay. My X was in almost perfect condition due to the screen protector and case on it since day one.

Just saying that it never hurts to shop your device around. Our iPhones hold their value pretty well and Apple and other companies likely won't give you the full value of what your phone is worth. Especially if you've got an unlocked phone on your hands.

Key ideas with selling that I always follow is to meet the person at a public location. I always choose to meet at my local Verizon store.

Figured I'd share my experience and maybe help someone else get the most bang for the bucks they've spent on these phones. Why not recoup as much money from your purchase as you can?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm appalled that you didn't ask me if I wanted to buy your X. I would have given you $551 (laughing)...LOL. Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge with the members of iMore.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your experience! It's good information to have, especially for people who are patient! I'm not one of those people and have been attracted to the trade-in option offered by Apple. When the time comes for me to get a new phone, I'll have to consider all options! :D

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Over the years I’ve sold a handful of devices to friends/family. Almost to a person they do not want to pay what it’s worth so I made the decision that if I went that route I’d gift it and that’s what I have done.
For me personally, I don’t want the hassle of Craig’s List/eBay etc. so the trade in program is perfect for me. I could get more but I’m not willing to put in the effort. For sure a character flaw on my part.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I saw even 64GB X's going on Swappa for around 500 listing price a week or so before pre-orders opened. I figured those prices wouldn't hold and even if they did it was still a process. Places like Gazelle were only offering $300, so I decided to take the lazy route with the $400 trade in from Apple.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I typically give my devices to family members when I’ve upgraded to something newer.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Over the years I’ve sold a handful of devices to friends/family. Almost to a person they do not want to pay what it’s worth so I made the decision that if I went that route I’d gift it and that’s what I have done.
For me personally, I don’t want the hassle of Craig’s List/eBay etc. so the trade in program is perfect for me. I could get more but I’m not willing to put in the effort. For sure a character flaw on my part.

This was partly my issue. I listed my device earlier in the week with the caveat that I wouldn't be making the transaction until Friday when I got my new device. I mentioned that we HAD to meet at a Verizon or Apple store. I told myself if I didn't sell it by the end of the weekend, I'd be doing a trade-in. It honestly wasn't too much work and I'm glad I went that route and got a little extra for it.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Apple was only offering $200 for the 7 Plus, 128 gig in immaculate condition.

Tmobile offered $350.

In the end, I just decided to keep it as a spare and pay for my new phone outright.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Apple was only offering $200 for the 7 Plus, 128 gig in immaculate condition.

Tmobile offered $350.

In the end, I just decided to keep it as a spare and pay for my new phone outright.

I always second guess myself after trading in an iPhone. Having a spare would be convenient, but.. saving $300+ is hard to pass up!

Anastayja1

Trusted Member
Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
I always second guess myself after trading in an iPhone. Having a spare would be convenient, but.. saving $300+ is hard to pass up!

This is what I’m going through now. I could trade in my XS Max and get $600 towards my 11 or just keep it as a back up. Ugh! Choices. I still have a few days to decide.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you have a cellular model Watch and AppleCare +, the watch can be your backup until Apple fix or replace your iPhone....

Doug B

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I’ve always just sold my old phones. I use Swappa and have had really good luck there. I sold one here too but it took a while. Trading is quick and convenient but they never give you what it’s actually worth. It’s like going to a car dealership and trading in your car.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711