Which operating system is better - iOS or Android?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The Best Operating System is the one I use and if you disagree with me I hate you....LOL

C'mon guys, the OP posted one time in June and never posted again. Clearly an attempt to start problems (Troll).

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
The Best Operating System is the one I use and if you disagree with me I hate you....LOL

C'mon guys, the OP posted one time in June and never posted again. Clearly an attempt to start problems (Troll).

Then I'd say that attempt failed as this has not been a problematic thread.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site

Yep lol. Plus. What answer did he expect to get? Of course most users here would say iOS...this is an Apple forum! Likewise with the same question on an Android forum.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I have always been an iPhone guy, but I want to hear from someone who knows a lot about the android and the iPhone to truly see which operating system is better.

Better is subjective, sales is rather objective.

Is the best phone the one that sells the most? not necessarily.
Having said that if the phone is also priced higher than the competition and selling in much greater volume, then yes, it is better.

Judging by sales;
If your going to spend less than 400 dollars android is very popular since Apple doesn’t sell any phones below 400 dollars.

If your spending more than 400 dollars, most consumers get an iPhone.

If your spending 1,000 dollars or more, it’s pretty much all iPhones at that point.

Guess it would depend on the target demographic or the consumers purchasing power.

mrluky60

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Better is subjective, sales is rather objective.

Is the best phone the one that sells the most? not necessarily.
Having said that if the phone is also priced higher than the competition and selling in much greater volume, then yes, it is better.

Judging by sales;
If your going to spend less than 400 dollars android is very popular since Apple doesn’t sell any phones below 400 dollars.

If your spending more than 400 dollars, most consumers get an iPhone.

If your spending 1,000 dollars or more, it’s pretty much all iPhones at that point.

Guess it would depend on the target demographic or the consumers purchasing power.

Your all brainwashed,everyone knows the best system is blackberry 10.*♂️

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Your all brainwashed,everyone knows the best system is blackberry 10.*

Are you claiming blackberry is selling more phones than Apple? .

Blackberry 10- the dumpster fire that caused blackberry to abandon their smartphone business. Can’t really call that operating system anything but a failure.

As I said “best is subjective, sales is objective”

Regarding what i posted in regards to sales, it’s common knowledge.
4d22746bfdfc15454a373409fade8604.jpg

Btw premium is defined as $400 an up.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
Are you claiming blackberry is selling more phones than Apple? .

Blackberry 10- the dumpster fire that caused blackberry to abandon their smartphone business. Can’t really call that operating system anything but a failure.

As I said “best is subjective, sales is objective”

Regarding what i posted in regards to sales, it’s common knowledge.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191024/4d22746bfdfc15454a373409fade8604.jpg

Btw premium is defined as $400 an up.

Your numbers are skewed. First and foremost I am an Apple fan. iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Pro 12.9, MacBook Pro 2018 Touch, and so. That said you can’t say Sales is Objective while comparing Operating Systems and then use Manufactures Market Share Data.

Yes, Apple sells more than any other single Manufacturer. But NO iOS DOES NOT outsell Android in any data set available whether you use $400 as the assigned value or not It’s not even close as Android has over 80% Global Share. I recognize this is up until Feb 2019, but OnePlus, Google, Samsung, and Huawei combined to sell in 2019 as much as the prior year.

11b20f8a009a9735157a61e476f536d4.jpg

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Your numbers are skewed. First and foremost I am an Apple fan. iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Pro 12.9, MacBook Pro 2018 Touch, and so. That said you can’t say Sales is Objective while comparing Operating Systems and then use Manufactures Market Share Data.

Yes, Apple sells more than any other single Manufacturer. But NO iOS DOES NOT outsell Android in any data set available whether you use $400 as the assigned value or not It’s not even close as Android has over 80% Global Share. I recognize this is up until Feb 2019, but OnePlus, Google, Samsung, and Huawei combined to sell in 2019 as much as the prior year.

Here is the data set you claim does not exist

Don’t own or work for counterpoint research, but your presumption is rather inaccurate, the number I posted is certainly not skewed and is common sense to anyone in the industry, in other words it’s not a surprising figure that is related to apples profit-share in the smartphone market.

Sure android has 80 percent of the global market, which is primarily made up of cheap smartphones, no argument there. And this year “OnePlus, Google, Samsung, and Huawei combined to sell in 2019 as much as the prior year” BUT with much lower asps.
You kind of left that part out. Tsk, tsk.

However, when you look at phones that cost 400 dollars and up (commonly referred to as the “premium” segment), that’s where ios and apple as a single vendor has the majority of sales and marketshare. It’s not even close. Looking at a specific segment of a market cannot be labeled skewing , it’s a segment of the general market.

You might find $400 as arbitrary, but the reason analysts use it is because apple does not sell any smartphones below $400. Perhaps because there isn’t much money in that segment, just bragging rights.

f8ac36f48fe0f8ccca66a5c879b58af5.jpg

Apple and iOS not only outsells android at 400 dollars and above but they own over half of the market share for the global premium market, smartphones costing 400 dollars and above, which includes all android smartphones priced 400 dollars or higher. Android can sell quite a few smartphones as long as they are priced right, below 400 dollars and android oems do indeed own that market.

You don’t even want to know about the super-premium/flagship market, 800 dollars and above.

Even in China, Huawei can’t sell as many $800 or phones as apple.

99485c80a17ad059bff3221bef21e38d.jpg

Just for context, q2 2019 was the same quarter that many in China were calling for a ban on Apple and other American products with unilateral support for Huawei. What happened was quite the opposite. Apple was well insulted at their price points as you can see from the chart posted, other Chinese oems were not and saw a sharp domestic decline in sales as their customers rallied to support Huawei.

As I previously posted sales are always objective.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site

I agree ^^^ No point arguing with him (FFR) though...waste of your time.

It is worth noting that the premium segment is much smaller than the rest, so that definitely affects revenue and profit. None of this is relevant to whether iOS or Android is better though (which in itself is subjective and depends on the individual)

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree ^^^ No point arguing with him (FFR) though...waste of your time.

No idea why my posts always get you triggered, is it the charts?

Having said that, No point when you offer nothing but opinion against data.

It is worth noting that the premium segment is much smaller than the rest, so that definitely affects revenue and profit. None of this is relevant to whether iOS or Android is better though (which in itself is subjective and depends on the individual)

Are you claiming that the premium segment has less profits and revenue then the other segments of the market.

The premium segment is always smaller but that’s where the lions share of the revenue and profit is. Everyone knows that.

Last edited:

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
The mere fact you’d ask which OS is better is an example of your desire to start drama in the forums. Additionally you continually mention manufacturers which are irrelevant. Moreover you choose parameters that satisfy your question. If you were in an academic setting trying to do research, nobody would support your hypothesis. You arrive at your data conclusion by cutting out any device under $400. Your variable is price point while it should be OS decision.

Bottom line is you cannot escape the FACT that for every 100 mobile phones purchased that are either iOS or Android, only 13 for every 100 are iOS. That’s horrifically low.

I’m not saying your numbers are wrong. I’m just saying they are irrelevant. You are cutting out too much of the buying population for your data to have any significance.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The mere fact you’d ask which OS is better is an example of your desire to start drama in the forums. Additionally you continually mention manufacturers which are irrelevant. Moreover you choose parameters that satisfy your question. If you were in an academic setting trying to do research, nobody would support your hypothesis. You arrive at your data conclusion by cutting out any device under $400. Your variable is price point while it should be OS decision.

Bottom line is you cannot escape the FACT that for every 100 mobile phones purchased that are either iOS or Android, only 13 for every 100 are iOS. That’s horrifically low.

I’m not saying your numbers are wrong. I’m just saying they are irrelevant. You are cutting out too much of the buying population for your data to have any significance.

I’m not the op.

As I posted above: best is subjective, sales is objective.

I haven’t chosen the parameters, it’s the price range Apple sells phones in, a rather simple premise for said parameter.

Once again It’s not my conclusion. It’s the market, it is what it is.

And your quite right android sells much more phones than Apple does but at an asp or average selling price of 150 dollars. Apples asp is between $750 and $800, it’s two very different markets, targeting two very different segments. I’m sure if Apple decided to go budget they would increase overall marketshare, but once more not much reason to, ie profit, as well as the law of diminishing returns.

The number isn’t as irrelevant as you claim, it’s where most of the money in the industry gets made and why android manufacturers keep increasing their prices. Your right about Apple not selling to a large part of the population, but they don’t have to. Apple earns more selling to a small part of the population earning 10% of the global smartphone market, but that 10% represents more revenue than Samsung or Huawei. In fact the iPhone alone made more revenue last quarter for Apple than either Samsung or Huawei, it’s not even close. No need to take my word for it, you can just compare the last quarterly statements for each respective company. It’s public information.

In regards to profit share, it’s ridiculous but Apple makes anywhere between 80% to 90% of all the profits in the smartphone industry, thats the entire industry, with thier meager 10%-20% of the market, depending on the year.

Think about it, 10% marketshare equals 80%-90% of all the profits in the industry. That’s pretty impressive, and far far from irrelevant. It’s quite insane. It’s also rather baffling that you label 80%-90% of the profits for the entire smartphone industry as irrelevant, to the contrary it’s very relevant.

We could go back and forth or you can do some research and find out for yourself, it really makes no difference to me. Cheers

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
I’m not the op.

As I posted above: best is subjective, sales is objective.

I haven’t chosen the parameters, it’s the price range Apple sells phones in, a rather simple premise for said parameter.

Once again It’s not my conclusion. It’s the market, it is what it is.

And your quite right android sells much more phones than Apple does but at an asp or average selling price of 150 dollars. Apples asp is between $750 and $800, it’s two very different markets, targeting two very different segments. I’m sure if Apple decided to go budget they would increase overall marketshare, but once more not much reason to, ie profit, as well as the law of diminishing returns.

The number isn’t as irrelevant as you claim, it’s where most of the money in the industry gets made and why android manufacturers keep increasing their prices. Your right about Apple not selling to a large part of the population, but they don’t have to. Apple earns more selling to a small part of the population earning 10% of the global smartphone market, but that 10% represents more revenue than Samsung or Huawei. In fact the iPhone alone made more revenue last quarter for Apple than either Samsung or Huawei, it’s not even close. No need to take my word for it, you can just compare the last quarterly statements for each respective company. It’s public information.

In regards to profit share, it’s ridiculous but Apple makes anywhere between 80% to 90% of all the profits in the smartphone industry, thats the entire industry, with thier meager 10%-20% of the market, depending on the year.

Think about it, 10% marketshare equals 80%-90% of all the profits in the industry. That’s pretty impressive, and far far from irrelevant. It’s quite insane. It’s also rather baffling that you label 80%-90% of the profits for the entire smartphone industry as irrelevant, to the contrary it’s very relevant.

We could go back and forth or you can do some research and find out for yourself, it really makes no difference to me. Cheers

I totally understand and agree 110% with everything you said...literally everything. The fact remains that globally Android owns greater than 85% of the market share. I was not attempting to make any other claims. Sure Apple may win the profit war and of course that’s a huge war to win! That said, it wasn’t my point. My point was merely Market Share iOS versus Android. If iOS licensed out to other manufacturers there Market Share would sky rocket and likely surpass Android with ease in my opinion. But like you said, Apple doesn’t need to because of their revenue already. Also, and I would need to check specifically but I believe Samsung mobile devices are their 3rd largest revenue driver behind Large Electronics like TV and Large Appliances such as Fridges, Washers, Dryers, etc. Like you I agree it’s silly to go back and forth. There’s the “what” and the “why”. In most instances they line up. You have a what: high share and a why: explanation. As for Apple there “what” is lower share and “why” is cause they generate enough revenue to do so.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
If iOS licensed out to other manufacturers there Market Share would sky rocket and likely surpass Android with ease in my opinion.

Didn’t Apple under John Scully or Gil Amelio try to license out Apple’s Mac OS, but all that happened was a bunch of Macintosh Clones and no real bennefit to buying an actual Macintosh? I love that Apple controls the hardware and the software. I wouldn’t want to separate them, that is one reason Face ID and security is better with iOS.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
iOS is better. Why? Because I feel it suits my needs better.
Also, Android sucks. At least, that’s what I think of it.
Do I have any fundamental proof that Android sucks and iOS is better? No, I always go with my gut and my gut likes iOS and everything Apple related.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711