Any reason to buy ANY 2019 iPhone Model?

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
So some of this thought process is from rumors and others is pure opinion. I’ve had every iteration of the iPhone buying a new one yearly except for the XR (which I regret at times). Currently using a XS after going from X to XS Max then to XS. Okay, I’ll make my point.

I simply cannot for the life of me figure out the need to upgrade to any of the rumored 2019 iPhones. If rumors are true, it would only make sense to hold out until 2020 for widespread 5G and a 5G iPhone. Is the new camera enough to upgrade for? And let me clarify, if you need to upgrade because of a broken device or being end of life and wanting iOS13 I get that.

But I’m finding it hard to imagine anyone not being able to get one more year of their device and holding out for 2020 which should be a redesign and 5G device. Thoughts? And sure there are people like me who just don’t care and go out and pay out of pocket full retail year after year, but I’m done as of now. My XS is perfect. I just don’t see a reason to make a move in September?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So some of this thought process is from rumors and others is pure opinion. I’ve had every iteration of the iPhone buying a new one yearly except for the XR (which I regret at times). Currently using a XS after going from X to XS Max then to XS. Okay, I’ll make my point.

I simply cannot for the life of me figure out the need to upgrade to any of the rumored 2019 iPhones. If rumors are true, it would only make sense to hold out until 2020 for widespread 5G and a 5G iPhone. Is the new camera enough to upgrade for? And let me clarify, if you need to upgrade because of a broken device or being end of life and wanting iOS13 I get that.

But I’m finding it hard to imagine anyone not being able to get one more year of their device and holding out for 2020 which should be a redesign and 5G device. Thoughts? And sure there are people like me who just don’t care and go out and pay out of pocket full retail year after year, but I’m done as of now. My XS is perfect. I just don’t see a reason to make a move in September?

I stated not long ago that I am still enjoying the use of my iPhone X and I haven’t given much thought to upgrading to one of the upcoming iPhone models this fall.

Anyway, to answer the thread question, I don’t know if you should upgrade or not. With that in mind, if your current iPhone is sufficient and the upcoming iPhone models do not bring anything great to the table then keep what you have or get the iPhone X🅁.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
I stated not long ago that I am still enjoying the use of my iPhone X and I haven’t given much thought to upgrading to one of the upcoming iPhone models this fall.

Anyway, to answer the thread question, I don’t know if you should upgrade or not. With that in mind, if your current iPhone is sufficient and the upcoming iPhone models do not bring anything great to the table then keep what you have or get the iPhone X🅁.

Thanks for the response. Definitely happy with my XS for sure. XS Max was just to be big, probably would have been happiest with the XR, but happy with XS nonetheless. See no reason to upgrade. Probably should have clarified in my OP that I was asking as whole, rather than my own situation. I sort of meant overall what you inferred that there is nothing special coming in 2019 enough to move up if you have a X or newer. Even if I still had a working 7 or 8 I’d hang on for one more year if I could?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response. Definitely happy with my XS for sure. XS Max was just to be big, probably would have been happiest with the XR, but happy with XS nonetheless. See no reason to upgrade. Probably should have clarified in my OP that I was asking as whole, rather than my own situation. I sort of meant overall what you inferred that there is nothing special coming in 2019 enough to move up if you have a X or newer. Even if I still had a working 7 or 8 I’d hang on for one more year if I could?

No no no, I was saying that I did not upgrade to the XS because I was still enjoying the iPhone X. I definitely didn’t want to pay another $1000+ for it. A couple of weeks ago, I bought an iPhone X🅁 for my youngest son and he loves it. If for some reason, my iPhone X craps out on me, I will replace it with an iPhone X🅁.

In regard to the upcoming iPhone models, I really haven’t considered getting one. I mean, my iPhone X is still enjoyable to me and iOS 13 is running quite smoothly on it. The look of the camera jump on the leaked photos look awful to me, and unless it is capable of doing something really great that my current iPhone X cannot do, I may skip it or just get an iPhone X🅁 later this year. We’ll see.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I’m happy staying with my 8+ until the 2020 models come out! Rumor has it (and there are always rumors ) that the 2020 batch of phones are going to be amazing.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I’ve had an XS Max since Sept and WILL be getting whatever the largest iPhone is for 2019 as soon as I can walk in a local AT&T store and walk out with one. Why not?? The Max is the best phone I’ve ever owned but I expect this years model to be even better.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I bought the XS ‘cos my 4s screen was dying, I don’t much like the new phone but hopefully it will last till 5g is up and running. There is NO need for a new phone this year.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I am considering getting the new Max mainly because I can’t SEE. I didn’t realize there wasn’t Zoom display on the XS. But it seems so big. I’m really on the fence.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Some people just have to have the “latest and greatest” even if the improvements are minimal. I am not one of those people.
Only you can decide what to do because we are all different. If you do upgrade every year, Apple will love you for it!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Some people just have to have the “latest and greatest” even if the improvements are minimal. I am not one of those people.
Only you can decide what to do because we are all different. If you do upgrade every year, Apple will love you for it!
I'm at the stage in which the hardware is no longer the top priority. I'm more interested in what iOS brings each year.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Lol you have the newest iphone, of course not every gen is going to be a huge upgrade over that model. Most normal people do not upgrade any year anymore since they aren't getting subsidies like in the old days with a $199 upgrade.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site

Agreed, I guess this is the first year that I personally see zero reason to upgrade.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
Lol you have the newest iphone, of course not every gen is going to be a huge upgrade over that model. Most normal people do not upgrade any year anymore since they aren't getting subsidies like in the old days with a $199 upgrade.

But unlike most people I do upgrade every year. Yep, unnecessary but choose to have the latest. That said, I’m breaking that streak this year and sitting tight. Was just interested in what others were doing, not so much what I should do. What device do you have? Are you gonna purchase 2019 model?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
But unlike most people I do upgrade every year. Yep, unnecessary but choose to have the latest. That said, I’m breaking that streak this year and sitting tight. Was just interested in what others were doing, not so much what I should do. What device do you have? Are you gonna purchase 2019 model?

I have an Xs. I am going to wait until Apple goes back to the qualcomm modems for their phones. Signal is definitely not as strong as with previous iphones.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm on my second 6s Plus. The one I have now I got brand new in November. There's nothing new in the newer iPhones I feel I must have bad enough to dish out more money for. 2020 maybe. If my battery holds up, maybe 2021. I'm not so sure 5G will be such a major thing.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm VERY Happy with my Xs Max and will not be upgrading this year and maybe not 2020 either. Ever since I first laid eyes on the 6 Plus I said to myself this would be the perfect iPhone size for me with a larger screen of edge to edge, well my wish came true with the Xs Max...I'M GOOOOOD!!!
With the exception of OLED and edge to edge screens, I personally think the leaps and bounds of technology growth in the iPhones stopped somewhere around 6s Plus/7 Plus to be honest.

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I’m looking at last years models, and might be interested in the new XR, but I currently have a Nokia 7.1 (Android) and find it challenging to spend money on a used or new iPhone.
I have an iPad Pro and very much enjoy it. It would be nice to have a fully integrated pair, but...is it worth the money? I can afford it but am sick of throwing money at multi billion dollar corporations. Getting kind of frugal in my old age!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234