Since its debut, the iPhone has been the standard by which all other smartphones are judged. With that being said, how much longer do you think Apple can maintain that status?
    12-16-2018 07:02 AM
    It the technology world who knows, something could be released tomorrow and it’s all over for everybody else. They’ve had a good run though.
    Just_Me_D and RobertP1 like this.
    12-16-2018 07:04 AM
    It the technology world who knows, something could be released tomorrow and it’s all over for everybody else. They’ve had a good run though.
    You’re right about that...
    12-16-2018 07:10 AM
    I hope for a very very very long time.
    I like Apple, I like their devices.
    12-16-2018 07:43 AM
    I hope for a very very very long time.
    I like Apple, I like their devices.
    Only time will tell, sir...
    12-16-2018 07:53 AM
    I think like any large corporation Apple will have their highs and lows however I feel they will maintain their number one status for years to come .
    12-16-2018 08:12 AM
    I think like any large corporation Apple will have their highs and lows however I feel they will maintain their number one status for years to come .
    I think you’re right, but again, time will tell.
    12-16-2018 08:25 AM
    I really don't have any special feelings for any corporation. But I fear what new tech could bring in terms of surveillance and other privacy attacks. Because of this I really hope Apple can afford to be innovative again, since it's the only brand I still trust in this matter. Google, it's devices and, even, Android became much better than Apple counterparts some time ago, but I really can't pay what it charge for its new technologies. Hope Apple can catch up well and quickly.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-16-2018 08:26 AM
    Probably forever. Think about how often they lag behind the competition in some innovative areas yet they remain on top year over year for the most part. They're almost invincible. Lol
    Just_Me_D, joemd60 and Annie_8plus like this.
    12-16-2018 09:08 AM
    It's the ecosystem that many of us are locked into. When the benefit is outweighed by other considerations, then you might begin to see the store point down.
    xanadome likes this.
    12-16-2018 09:49 AM
    I really don't have any special feelings for any corporation. But I fear what new tech could bring in terms of surveillance and other privacy attacks. Because of this I really hope Apple can afford to be innovative again, since it's the only brand I still trust in this matter. Google, it's devices and, even, Android became much better than Apple counterparts some time ago, but I really can't pay what it charge for its new technologies. Hope Apple can catch up well and quickly.
    I hear ya, and I, too fear an increased amount or surreptitious surveillance via our so-called smart devices especially in this day and age where people actually believe that they "have the right to know everything" about anyone.
    12-16-2018 10:17 AM
    Probably forever. Think about how often they lag behind the competition in some innovative areas yet they remain on top year over year for the most part. They're almost invincible. Lol
    Yeah, but EVERYTHING has an expiration....Remember RIM (Blackberry) and Palm, Inc.? They were king for a while, too....
    TgeekB and joemd60 like this.
    12-16-2018 10:20 AM
    Yeah, but EVERYTHING has an expiration....Remember RIM (Blackberry) and Palm, Inc.? They were king for a while, too....
    Who?
    Tartarus, Just_Me_D and joemd60 like this.
    12-16-2018 10:39 AM
    You are correct and in RIM'S case the two guys at the top were mainly responsible however cannot see it happening at Apple but.......
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-16-2018 11:28 AM
    If Apple continues to charge ridiculous prices for phones, its status will fall. It's pretty clear this year that consumers don't want to pay $1,100-$1,500 for a cell phone. Apple's stock has been tumbling (it has lost a quarter of a trillion of dollars in the last few months); Apple won't release sales figures for iPhone anymore because they know not as many people are buying the new phones; and carriers are actually giving away free and/or discounted iPhones to entice people to buy them.
    xanadome and libra89 like this.
    12-16-2018 12:26 PM
    If Apple continues to charge ridiculous prices for phones, its status will fall. It's pretty clear this year that consumers don't want to pay $1,100-$1,500 for a cell phone. Apple's stock has been tumbling (it has lost a quarter of a trillion of dollars in the last few months); Apple won't release sales figures for iPhone anymore because they know not as many people are buying the new phones; and carriers are actually giving away free and/or discounted iPhones to entice people to buy them.
    If all of that indeed true then how Apple responds with the 2019 iPhone models may prove to be quite interesting.
    mumfoau and joemd60 like this.
    12-16-2018 12:35 PM
    If all of that indeed true then how Apple responds with the 2019 iPhone models may prove to be quite interesting.
    SE2?
    joemd60 and xanadome like this.
    12-16-2018 12:43 PM
    SE2?
    (Laughing)....perhaps!
    12-16-2018 12:52 PM
    Since I’ve been a longtime BlackBerry owner and I’ve recently got my first new iPhone for myself, Apple is doomed..... I’m a contra indicator.... Sell your Apple
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-16-2018 01:30 PM
    You are correct and in RIM'S case the two guys at the top were mainly responsible however cannot see it happening at Apple but.......

Unfortunately Apple lost it’s visionary at the helm. Pretty sure he’s not coming back for a third go around...
    xanadome likes this.
    12-16-2018 01:31 PM
    I agree with this. 2019 will be make-or-break for Apple. And that's not hyperbole.
    Just_Me_D and xanadome like this.
    12-16-2018 01:37 PM
    They need to refresh the iPhone in iOS 13. And do something about the costs of the higher end handsets, and bring back a small form factor for those who want it.
    As said, I am pretty locked into the ecosystem. I am fine with that, and plan on staying put. The iPhone suits my needs, not to mention again, the support and timely updates.
    Whereas some get bored, and may venture over to Android.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-16-2018 01:38 PM
    They need to refresh the iPhone in iOS 13. And do something about the costs of the higher end handsets, and bring back a small form factor for those who want it.
    As said, I am pretty locked into the ecosystem. I am fine with that, and plan on staying put. The iPhone suits my needs, not to mention again, the support and timely updates.
    Whereas some get bored, and may venture over to Android.
    I read great article today here on iMore from two days ago. Sounds like the cost to manufacture is close to cost of XR or 8 models. Since price is large determinant of demand in sales curve, how many people will pay the same price for smaller, lower specd phone?
    joemd60 likes this.
    12-16-2018 01:45 PM
    I read great article today here on iMore from two days ago. Sounds like the cost to manufacture is close to cost of XR or 8 models. Since price is large determinant of demand in sales curve, how many people will pay the same price for smaller, lower specd phone?

Time will tell if Apple has something up their sleeve.
    They have been losing traction lately, so it’s time for them to step up their game.
    The XR was supposed to be a solution to their sales, but really wasn’t.
    If they bring back the SE, I am sure it would benefit them.
    xanadome likes this.
    12-16-2018 01:54 PM
    I have been on the Apple bandwagon since 2008 when we converted from PC to Mac and for myself and most of the folks I know, it’s about being valued added, having a good product and service support.

In the fast moving tech industry where a simple idea can make someone a billionaire overnight, you never know if one company that was the talk of the tech sector one day, will be there the following year.

I think Apple has proved that making a solid reliable product and standing behind what they build, will guarantee longevity and so far, based on those principles, they have proven they will be around for the long haul.
    12-16-2018 02:25 PM
52 123